Ob/Gyn - tailoring career to your interests?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blackcadillacs

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I'm in the middle of choosing what speciality to apply to and am very strongly considering Ob/Gyn. However, I see myself liking some parts of the specialty more than others, and am wondering if you can pick and choose which ones to practice?

For example, I likely would not specialize. I am not super interested in delivering babies, but I do want to do ambulatory gyn and surgery, esp provide abortion care. Could I theoretically tailor my career where for example, I worked at Planned Parenthood full time? Or worked at a private practice or hospital and potentially not deliver babies? Would you be even remotely viable as a job applicant anywhere if you didn't do deliveries?

Are the only choices as a general ob/gyn to have a full scope of practice at either a hospital or private practice? What are other options are available?

I just don't really understand whether or not you have to do everything as a general ob/gyn or if you can be particular about which parts you do.

Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello!

I'm in the middle of choosing what speciality to apply to and am very strongly considering Ob/Gyn. However, I see myself liking some parts of the specialty more than others, and am wondering if you can pick and choose which ones to practice?

For example, I likely would not specialize. I am not super interested in delivering babies, but I do want to do ambulatory gyn and surgery, esp provide abortion care. Could I theoretically tailor my career where for example, I worked at Planned Parenthood full time? Or worked at a private practice or hospital and potentially not deliver babies? Would you be even remotely viable as a job applicant anywhere if you didn't do deliveries?

Are the only choices as a general ob/gyn to have a full scope of practice at either a hospital or private practice? What are other options are available?

I just don't really understand whether or not you have to do everything as a general ob/gyn or if you can be particular about which parts you do.

Thank you!!

You can be particular about "which parts you do" in every specialty of medicine to a certain degree.

can't get away from obstetrics for the 4 years of residency

after that, you can work as a gyn generalist or gyn hospitalist. Kaiser actually makes you pick ob or gyn, not both.

Members don't see this ad :)
You have to like both OB and GYN enough to get through residency, but many folks practice only OB or only GYN afterwards.
You could definitely be a generalist but only do GYN. You could also consider fellowship training in Family Planning, MIS, Urogyn, REI, Gyn/Onc, or Peds/Adolescent Gyn.
Given your interest in providing abortion care, check out http://www.familyplanningfellowship.org/. This is an especially great opportunity if you are interested in academics/research or advocacy work or international work, but many, many generalists provide abortion care in their own practices or in settings like Planned Parenthood without additional training past OB/GYN residency.
Here is a list of OB/GYN residency programs that have rotations dedicated to family planning training: http://www.ryanprogram.org/map-and-locations.

Reactions: 1 user
Kaiser actually makes you pick ob or gyn, not both.

Well that is true in Northern California Kaiser system, but not in Southern California. Not sure about other states.

Thank you so much for the responses!

I actually loved my two weeks on L&D, especially watching C-sections, so residency shouldn't be an issue. I just think in the long run I could see myself getting bored of it, and also it seems like the worst hours on Ob/Gyn come from the obstetrics part of it? What are the hours like for someone who does just gyn?