Ob/gyn vs emergency medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GLENMARK

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For a woman, which specialty is better regardless personal interest?

Members don't see this ad.

No offense, but this seems like a stupid question. It all depends on your personality, interest, and talents. Gender has very little to do with it.

No offense, but this seems like a stupid question. It all depends on your personality, interest, and talents. Gender has very little to do with it.

It doesn't just seem like a stupid question.

Members don't see this ad :)
It doesn't just seem like a stupid question.

Maybe they mean "which would be better for a woman so that she can have kids?"

That is reading WAY into it I guess... OP, if that is what you are asking then it seems like EM in general has better hours as it is primarily shift work. However some of those shifts can be night or holiday shifts.

People say that the hours in OB after residency are what you make of them though, so either one could be fine!

(If that isn't what you were asking, then I agree with the above two posters...)

The most important aspect in choosing your specialty is your interest in the field.

OBG and EM are like oil and vinegar. OBG has long, hard working hours vs. EM with shift work. They are two entirely different specialties.

Towards the end of my third year as a medical student I had to sit down to think long and hard because I only liked specialties that were challenging with long working hours. In the end I came to the conclusion that I needed to go into something I loved. It is the satisfaction of spending hours in the OR that helps me get up at the crack of dawn every morning...

However, everyone is different and I feel that lifestyle and income play a great part in specialty choice nowadays for a lot of people.

While interviewing for general surgery two years ago I was asked how would I balance work life with outside interests. My interviewer asked me why not go into Dermatology. As a woman I felt very offended. He was basically hinting at family life and children but didn't have the balls to ask me straight up...

I firmly believe women can do any specialty even if interested in having a family...