OB ultrasound Elective

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AbuJadenDO

Soon2beOB
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know of a OB specific ultrasound clerkship available in California? specificially southern california?

and while i'm at it here's another quick question...what elective rotations do you recommend for someone going into your field of obstetrics!?

thanks in advance

:D

Members don't see this ad.

Does anybody know of a OB specific ultrasound clerkship available in California? specificially southern california?

and while i'm at it here's another quick question...what elective rotations do you recommend for someone going into your field of obstetrics!?

thanks in advance

:D

Can't answer your cali question, but I honestly did some OB research electives mainly so I'd have time to interview. Other than that I didn't do any OB stuff b/c that's what I'm getting for 4 yrs - I did electives I'd never have the chance to do again...

Members don't see this ad :)

I did a breast elective to get more comfortable with picking up pathology on breast exams. It seems that most programs don't offer this type of formal training to its residents, yet ob/gyn's are expected to be able to routinely perform breast exams and know not only what abnormal is, but also the spectrum of normal.

great point! but where the heck do you find a "breast elective"???
didnt know such a thing existed

Can't answer your cali question, but I honestly did some OB research electives mainly so I'd have time to interview. Other than that I didn't do any OB stuff b/c that's what I'm getting for 4 yrs - I did electives I'd never have the chance to do again...

how can you not do "ANY" OB stuff though?
i thought MFM or endocrine or gyn surgery are recommended to really make sure it's something you wanna go into...not to mention give you some heads up before internship.

i'm confused

You don't HAVE to do an externship or something ob/gyn. If you know its what you want to do, you can collect extra things that will help you - I did an ob externship, just 'cause I like it and have fun doing it. I also did a fantastic ob ultrasound class... but in TX (San Antonio if you can't find one in SoCal, but it fills up pretty darn fast). I've done SICU and am doing Pedi Genetics clinic - so I can bone up on my genetics counseling and such. I wasn't asked at all about what I was doing 4th year, so I can't imagine it counts against you. As long as you've got enough contact with your letter writers in your department that you will get a personal, strong letter, you're okay. This was spelled out from our deans office - do what you think will make you a better overall doctor. By taking an ob us course, I could check it off my list of requirements for a program. Same thing with the advanced anatomy - now I didn't have to look for dissection stuff at the programs (although if you are looking for it, Brown seemed to have a killer setup, as well as Vanderbilt).

how can you not do "ANY" OB stuff though?
i thought MFM or endocrine or gyn surgery are recommended to really make sure it's something you wanna go into...not to mention give you some heads up before internship.

i'm confused

Of course I did an OB sub-I, but that was required, and the person was asking about electives. I didn't need any more contact for LORs, and I was certain it was what I wanted to do, so I didn't need more rotations to figure it out. And intern year is going to be rough no matter what you do or don't do....so I decided to experience some other things other than the same exact rotations I'll be doing for the rest of my life. And hey, it worked out - got my #1! And having a fabulous 4th yr! :)

Of course I did an OB sub-I, but that was required, and the person was asking about electives. I didn't need any more contact for LORs, and I was certain it was what I wanted to do, so I didn't need more rotations to figure it out. And intern year is going to be rough no matter what you do or don't do....so I decided to experience some other things other than the same exact rotations I'll be doing for the rest of my life. And hey, it worked out - got my #1! And having a fabulous 4th yr! :)

point taken thanks!
may I ask where that #1 is?

great point! but where the heck do you find a "breast elective"???
didnt know such a thing existed

I did mine through the surgery department, so I was working with the breast surgeons. I had the option of going to the OR to scrub on breast procedures, seeing patients in clinic, or going to radiology to learn about mammos and procedures like stereotactic biopsies. I chose to divide my time between clinic and the radiology department because I had seen enough of the surgery part on my gen surg rotation 3rd year. If your school doesn't already offer a similar elective, perhaps you can make a "self-designed" elective?

I believe there is an elective at UCLA that you can do at the Revlon Breast Center there. I went there 1 day a week for a women's health elective through the department of medicine but I think there was also perhaps another elective where you could spend more time at the center. The attending I worked there was also great. Don't want to be publishing specifics so PM if you want the name.

The visiting students' page at UCLA (where you can get elective info) http://www.medstudent.ucla.edu/visitingstudents/namer.htm

Also, I met a woman (non-UCSD student) on the interview trail who was doing an U/S elective at UCSD and I hear the person who does them there is incredible. So I would definitely look into that if U/S is what you're looking for. I don't have the name for that but I'm sure you can look it up on their visiting students page.

Good luck!

I contacted one of the MFMs I met at an ACOG event (hint check the ACOG website for local representatives in the goegraphic area you are interested in) and I tentatively set up an ultrasound elective myself. Depending on your school you may have to do some paperwork to get the elective approved (probably some kind of educational objectives and a description of the hours you will keep and tasks you will do).