Obama screwing over the country (at least the hard workers among us)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
WTH...I just noticed that, Ms. Wong is having one helluva an identity crisis in addition to the financial one!

Members don't see this ad.

21wallstreet-650.jpg

What an androgenous Asian investment banker may look like.

Members don't see this ad :)
21wallstreet-650.jpg

What an androgenous Asian investment banker may look like.

If we are going to harp on the photo.. why is that person in Cleveland?
I thought it was a story about wall street Investment bankers...

The Terminal Tower behind.. it..
800px-Terminal_Tower.jpg

this is becoming more and more mysterious...we need to ban whoever linked that e-article..

You're saying that an attending with 8+ years of higher education and 3-10 years of on-the-job training has not had to do those terrible things?

Don't consider doctors lucky. We work our damn asses off to get these "cushy jobs" with their "high pay". Being a doctor is not a priviledge, it is earned.

Terrible is a relative term. I'd imagine if this is GD2, people will be eating out of dumpsters and fighting over road kill. Anyone who is employed will be lucky, and anyone making 200K would be, once again, considered wealthy.

Path trainees would probably be somewhat cut-throat in competing over whatever jobs openings were left- which is what I implied by doing "terrible things". Use your own imagination.

I don't consider all doc's lucky- I could have ended up as junior staff at some academic institution making 120K/yr @ 70 hours a week. I can empathize. I've always assumed I'd have an upper middle class lifestyle, but I'm not sure what upper middle class will look like in 10 years. I don't think any MD's will be spared from salary deflation. It's nothing personal, it's just economics.

You're right, being a doc is not a privilege, and to me that also means we are not entitled to a certain salary. I'd say take whatever you imagine your lifestyle should be and divide it in half, and you probably won't be too disappointed. As long as you can put a roof over your family's head and food on the table I'd say you haven't hit bottom yet.

Well, my understanding is that when you do your taxes you calculate the regular way (with deductions and whatnot) and then you calculate the alternative minimum tax. You pay the total that is larger. So, in order to pay more in taxes you'd have to have the regular method tax bill be higher than the AMT. Even with certain deductions gone, the AMT will still likely be higher. In other words, while the official "tax rate" may have changed we'll all still be paying the AMT anyway.

Here is a link that explains where I'm coming from...

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/28/your-money/28money.html

Thanks for the link. After reading it, it depends on the amount of income you make and the amount your deducting. At some point the AMT end up being less w/o the deductions, but before that your in AMT territory, its really a lose lose situation.

You're right, being a doc is not a privilege, and to me that also means we are not entitled to a certain salary. I'd say take whatever you imagine your lifestyle should be and divide it in half, and you probably won't be too disappointed. As long as you can put a roof over your family's head and food on the table I'd say you haven't hit bottom yet.

as long as i owe a quarter mil in student loans, i'm not going to agree with that statement.