OBC this summer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JM.

The Yellow Dart
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have OBC this summer - just got my orders. I was wondering how I go about making my flight arrangements? There was a confusingly worded section of my orders that stated that I would have to make the arrangements with a government contractor. Who is this and how do I contact them? Should I just call my recruiter?

Also - I am going to get my uniforms in the next week or so an I was wondering if it is better to have them tailored at the base that I am buying them at or at the base i will be having OBC at. I have heard from members of other branches that every base has a slightly different way of altering them and I was concerned about this.

On a side note - what can I expect physically and mentally this summer out of Army OBC? Is there anyone else attending this year?

Members don't see this ad.

jmwalker said:
I have OBC this summer - just got my orders. I was wondering how I go about making my flight arrangements? There was a confusingly worded section of my orders that stated that I would have to make the arrangements with a government contractor. Who is this and how do I contact them? Should I just call my recruiter?

Also - I am going to get my uniforms in the next week or so an I was wondering if it is better to have them tailored at the base that I am buying them at or at the base i will be having OBC at. I have heard from members of other branches that every base has a slightly different way of altering them and I was concerned about this.

On a side note - what can I expect physically and mentally this summer out of Army OBC? Is there anyone else attending this year?

go to your nearest Carlson Wagonlit travel office and tell them your situation and they will arrange tickets for you. they're the civilian contractor your orders are talking about. it's actually pretty easy, and i think i even arranged it over the phone for an ADT once.

uniform wear is supposed to be standardized throughout the army. regulations dicate how the uniform is supposed to look. i would alter them right after you buy them so you don't have to worry about it once you get to OBC. you'll be ahead in the game significantly if you have all that stuff already done and can avoid the cattle-like process of getting and altering uniforms that most other people have to go through.

OBC, if you are in good shape and have a positive attitude, is a 6 week vacation in san antonio. your weekends are free (except for when you are on your field training excercise). you'll do some physical training a few mornings and will be in class most days until probably 4 or so. it's not bad at all, especially when compared to the navy or air force :) i loved it.

Members don't see this ad :)
jmwalker said:

While it is a good idea to get uniforms beforehand, you should know that they are $$$$$$ (for an average medical student). A pair of BDUs, pair of jungle boots, patches, insignia, beret adds up to $250 or so. (BTW, the army recommends 4 pairs). This list <<<doesn't>>> include the Class B, A, and 2 types of PT. Oh yeah, they won't reimburse you before the start of COT

Recommend getting your uniforms altered where you buy them, as some of the alterations are free if the AAFES concessionaire does them there. Remember to purchase a pair of the uniform shoes at the same time or prior and have your pants altered while wearing your uniform shoes.

Incidentally, AR 670-1 is the uniform reg which among other things covers which and the minimum number of uniforms you need (in appendix C). Above a poster stated the Army recommends 4 pairs of BDUs. More accurately, the Army requires officers to possess at least 4 pairs of BDUs, 2 of which are hot weather type, 2 of which are temperate weather.

Most of my acquaintences who are in HPSP acquire all the required uniform items slowly--when they can afford them. I recommend you purchase the EHWBDUs w/ pr of boots, the Class As w/ an extra Class B shirt, and the IPFU first.

The Air Force OBC sounds exactly the same, except that it is only four weeks long and is in Montgomery, Alabama (much worse than San Antonio). There was PT every morning around 5 or 6 followed by classwork all day until 4 or so. We did a total of four or five hours marching all month. We also got all 3 weekends off, although we were not allowed to leave the base during the first week/weekend. All in all it was a pretty easy month.

brentunc said:
The Air Force OBC sounds exactly the same, except that it is only four weeks long and is in Montgomery, Alabama (much worse than San Antonio). There was PT every morning around 5 or 6 followed by classwork all day until 4 or so. We did a total of four or five hours marching all month. We also got all 3 weekends off, although we were not allowed to leave the base during the first week/weekend. All in all it was a pretty easy month.

Sounds like a cake walk :laugh: My crew coach said that when he was in OBC for the marines he was burning so many calories that he couldnt crap for 2 weeks (he the proceded to tell us that our spring training would be worse :laugh: )

idq1i said:
While it is a good idea to get uniforms beforehand, you should know that they are $$$$$$ (for an average medical student). A pair of BDUs, pair of jungle boots, patches, insignia, beret adds up to $250 or so. (BTW, the army recommends 4 pairs). This list <<<doesn't>>> include the Class B, A, and 2 types of PT. Oh yeah, they won't reimburse you before the start of COT

Army gets berets eh.

jmwalker said:
Is there anyone else attending this year?
I'll be at OBC this summer. I'm still waiting on my orders, so I'm glad to hear that you just got yours. I got an e-mail 4 weeks ago that said I would receive them "in about 3 weeks." One week late wouldn't normally bother me, but I've been finding my mail pinned to the community bulletin board, or worse, scattered on the ground around the mailboxes at my apt. So I was wondering if maybe I missed them.
Would you guys recommend driving to San Antonio if possible? It will be a pretty long drive from Orlando, but I'm thinking I might want a car while I'm there.

Definitely drive! It should be about a 3 day trip from Orlando and you'll have alot more fun with access to a car.

denali said:
Definitely drive! It should be about a 3 day trip from Orlando and you'll have alot more fun with access to a car.

what denali said.

but if you don't have a car, it's not the end of the world. you'll just have to find someone with a car to buddy up with.

Thanks for all the great replies, now I know what I ought to do about those uniforms and such. I have heard from those in my school that it is a fun experience and I am looking forward to it. I had heard though that we get about a 300$ uniform compensation - which I know won't cover them but makes a dent at least.

It will be neat to see if I can spot evines. I propably won't be able to though if evines is a dude...

when you go to get your uniform, be sure to get a military star credit card at the PX before you buy them... you can spend up to $500 on military clothing on the card and it is interest free.

Members don't see this ad :)
jmwalker said:
It will be neat to see if I can spot evines. I propably won't be able to though if evines is a dude...
Does this mean you're a dude too? Probably. So where are we going to find chicas?
And you'll be able to spot me. I'll be the pasty white guy with crazy eyes skipping in circles and screaming incoherently.
Still no orders . . . :(

evines said:
Does this mean you're a dude too? Probably. So where are we going to find chicas?
And you'll be able to spot me. I'll be the pasty white guy with crazy eyes skipping in circles and screaming incoherently.
Still no orders . . . :(

No, for the one-millionth time, I am a girl. And don't be getting any designs on me either, the mods will rat me out...

:laugh:
Sorry. I always read your screen name as Jim Walker.

idq1i said:

BTW, I'd recommend that you all buy a pair of boots (whichever style you prefer and are allowed to wear) and start breaking them in. Don't forget boot socks, athletic socks don't work too well (at least for me).

Have fun, and congratulations!

JKDMed said:
Any idea what the Navy and AF do in their OBC? I'm anti-Army :D
Navy 's changed things over the past 2 years. They bring in 'Red Ropers' from Great Lakes recruit training command. These Chiefs will own you for the better part of the 4 weeks of OIS (Officer Indoctrination School). I went to OIS last summer and was suprised by the amount of marching we did after being told that OIS aka: 'fork and knife club' was one long party in Newport by generations of those who attended OIS before me.
It's nothing too bad, not nearly as annoying as Basic but be prepared to march ~3 hours ea/ day, moderate amounts of PT, one weekend of liberty WITHOUT overnight privilages, supprise room inspections 2x's week, uniform inspections, NO talking during any meals, etc.
Long and short of it is: You learn the basics of being a Naval Officer and feel that you've earned that honor by the end of it.

flighterdoc said:
BTW, I'd recommend that you all buy a pair of boots (whichever style you prefer and are allowed to wear) and start breaking them in. Don't forget boot socks, athletic socks don't work too well (at least for me).

Have fun, and congratulations!

Thanks for the advice!

I keep hearing the word "fun" being tossed around in reference to OBC. I am a bit skeptical about that. 4am PT just doesn't sound like fun to me. Being car-less (I can't make it to SA in <1 day - what the Army requires) for 45 days isn't much fun either. I can only hope to be wrong....I hope it won't be like MEPS

Of yeah, I have a final on June 11th. On June 12th, I have to be on a plane to TX. Not fun either! :mad:

idq1i said:
Thanks for the advice!

I keep hearing the word "fun" being tossed around in reference to OBC. I am a bit skeptical about that. 4am PT just doesn't sound like fun to me. Being car-less (I can't make it to SA in <1 day - what the Army requires) for 45 days isn't much fun either. I can only hope to be wrong....I hope it won't be like MEPS

Of yeah, I have a final on June 11th. On June 12th, I have to be on a plane to TX. Not fun either! :mad:

PT at 4AM in San Antonio in June is a whole lot better than PT in San Antonio in June at 2:00 PM. HAVE FUN! Just remember, they can't kill you (way too much paperwork).

flighterdoc said:
PT at 4AM in San Antonio in June is a whole lot better than PT in San Antonio in June at 2:00 PM. HAVE FUN! Just remember, they can't kill you (way too much paperwork).

Haha, good point! It's just that I will have to radically alter my sleeping cycle. I usually go to bed @ 2:30.

What's all the paperwork for, anyway?

idq1i said:
Haha, good point! It's just that I will have to radically alter my sleeping cycle. I usually go to bed @ 2:30.

to get paid and stuff :)

and in addition to them not killing you, they also can't stop time. so if whatever you are doing sucks, it *will* end sometime. kinda like bleeding i suppose, it all stops eventually, lol. :D

Homunculus said:
to get paid and stuff :)

and in a ddition to them not killing you, they also can't stop time. so if whatever you are doing sucks, it *will* end eventually. kinda like bleeding i suppose, it all stopes eventually, lol. :D

Getting paid is good....Giving a good part back to the IRS, NYS and NYC (fu you POS of a city, fu!!!!!!!! :mad: I hope you go bankrupt.......but I digress) is not fun

While we are on the topic...What do we do for food when we are not in the field? Is there a cafeteria-like place on-base? Do we get a per diem?

You'll get reimbursed schoolhouse rates for meals while at Ft. Sam; I don't remember the exact amount (~ $10), but it's equivalent to the cost of eating breakfast, lunch & dinner at the dining facility (on post, next to the schoolhouse). You'll get reimbursed for the exact cost of lodging. Your BOQ rooms should have a fridge, microwave and coffee pot if you want to get snack or other food from the commissary. There are food concessions at the PX, as well as an Arby's & Burger King on post. Finally, there are plenty of restaurants within 5 min. of post if you're buddies with someone with a car. I recommend Tomatillos and Wed. nights are margarita night at Taco Cabana. That doesn?t even cover the Riverwalk or the BBQ places around town?

idq1i said:
Thanks for the advice!

Being car-less (I can't make it to SA in <1 day - what the Army requires) for 45 days isn't much fun either.
Could someone please explain this to me? Will I be allowed to drive my car from Orlando? I am assuming I can, but maybe won't get reimbursed for the gas money and miles.
And if they get really technical with me, I can drive from Orlando to San Antonio in one 24-hour day. :sleep:

IIRC, you should be authorized to travel POV "at no extra cost to the gov't". That basically means they will reimburse you mileage and perdiem (w/ only 75% perdiem on first & last day of travel) up to the cost of a what they would have paid you to fly from Orlando to SA. Timewise, I think the rate is 1 day for every 350 miles. It looks like in idq1's case he gets only 1 day of travel because his report date is the day after his classes let out.

Hey, I'm a chick...don't get too excited, I really am not looking forward to how unflattering the (x-small) BDUs will look on me. I'm most likely driving to San Antonio...from maine. stupid classmates talking me into it...they also expect to me to drive their drunk asses around the whole time.
It should be fun, right?

see you suckers in june.
-n

p.s. I'm kind of scared about being made fun of in Texas for being a "New England Yankee" or whatever they like to call us pale northerners...am I being too paranoid? What's the real story? And why don't people get that we hate the Yankees (go Red Sox) so being called a Yankee is just doubly awful?

I guess you guys can probably tell i've never been south of DC. bring on the bashing...

idq1i said:

The paperwork is their explaining how they let you get killed, BIG hassle for the instructional staff, so they try to avoid it at all costs. No matter what they might say, btw. For instance, in basic training they'll say that some fraction of the machine gun ammo they fire over you is live (hah!) the guns are blocked so that even if you were to stand up in the middle of the wire-crawl, and JUMP up, the bullets would still be a couple of feet over your head (unless you're Alan Iverson). Just too hard to explain to mom and dad why they allowed you to be stupid enough to get killed.

oceandoc said:
Hey, I'm a chick...don't get too excited, I really am not looking forward to how unflattering the (x-small) BDUs will look on me. I'm most likely driving to San Antonio...from maine. stupid classmates talking me into it...they also expect to me to drive their drunk asses around the whole time.
It should be fun, right?

see you suckers in june.
-n

p.s. I'm kind of scared about being made fun of in Texas for being a "New England Yankee" or whatever they like to call us pale northerners...am I being too paranoid? What's the real story? And why don't people get that we hate the Yankees (go Red Sox) so being called a Yankee is just doubly awful?

I guess you guys can probably tell i've never been south of DC. bring on the bashing...

LOL. From personal experience, after a couple of weeks deployed, females look JUST FINE in BDU's (or flight suits, which are worse).

While everyone yelling at you might sound :"southern", it's a military accent, not regional. Just try not to laugh at them when they start yelling, it annoys the hell out of them and they try to make your life miserable for it.

Ah, the good old days. How I miss them. But, if I had to live that part of my life over again, I'd rather it was you :love:

Good luck, and Enjoy! Remember, you only have to do it once.

oceandoc said:
It should be fun, right?

see you suckers in june.
-n

6 weeks is just enough time for you to add "y'all" to your vocabulary...

Seriously, Ft. Sam is a pretty nice post, and you'll be with plenty of people from all over the place. You'll have a good time.

oceandoc said:
It should be fun, right?

see you suckers in june.
-n

Have you considered the distance?? :eek: It would be 1800 miles for me. 2.6k for you?

oceandoc said:
Wanna drive around my drunk stupid ass too?

It's 2.1k from where I am. According to Map Quest, that's 33 straight hours of driving, and if a classmate and I split driving duty and stop for lots of coffee, we can probably make it in 1.5 days. That's the plan for now.

And, if you ask nicely when we get down there and don't make fun of me too much, I might drive you around, too. maybe.

p.s.: are there Dunkin Donuts' in Texas????

jmwalker said:
oceandoc said:
Wanna drive around my drunk stupid ass too?

Ouch. Hope you're kidding, but please, don't ever say anything like that "I'm just a ..." while you're in the military. You're going to be an Officer, and if you don't act like it, 100% of the time, you're not worthless, you're dangerous. Please accept this advice from a retired O-5.

A few words of wisdom:
Drive, don't fly. Cabs are EXPENSIVE, and post is 15 minutes from downtown...you will spend far more money on transportation while you are there if you don't take a car than you would spending over what the army will pay you back for mileage (and at 33 cents a mile, I made out like a bandit with the money they sent me for driving).

Uniforms: go to any army base and look around at the local thrift shops and dry cleaners. The dry cleaners will have used/left behind uniforms that will save you a TON OF MONEY. I got tops and bottoms for five bucks each.

Berets: We don't wear no stinkin berets. You will wear the field cap while you are there, with your shiny gold bar in the front. You have to change this to a non-shiny (subdued) gold bar for a week for field training, but you in no way need a beret. Some people in my class bought their berets to wear the day we "graduated", and looked like total idiots, IMO.

Boots: THIS IS IMPORTANT. You can wear almost any kind of "army" boot, even the ones that are pre-shined and have "ripple" soles (HIGHLY FREAKIN' RECOMMENDED). The rules will try to tell you that you have have some approved boot or something, but really, nobody gives a damn. Just make sure they are comfortable. I had to be carried to the medic my feet were bleeding so bad during the field exercise. Not fun. My friend with the ripple sole boots just laughed.Here is what I'm talking about: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=63850&item=4146006994&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

See? Cheap. Do yourself a HUGE favor and buy them. Now.

Free-time: San Antonio is a fun place, plenty to do. My second or third night in town last year was when the Spurs won the championship. Lots of partying to do. See the riverwalk and the nice mall. See the big spinning tower but save your money and don't eat there. Find a steakhouse and eat till you gag. DO NOT STUDY FOR THE TESTS UNTIL THE NIGHT BEFORE. You are a medical student are thus smarter than the average bear. You will ace the tests with your eyes closed, and though it appears to be a substantial amount of information, the questions are elementary. Your grades are not recorded, you only have to pass. My suggestion is to half-ass this part, read a good book at night, and daydream about it during the day. Class will get old fast, and the people teaching you love to bust you for nodding off.

You will probably PT 3-4 mornings a week starting the second week going to the fifth week. It's not hard (they rank you by physical condition, and set expectations accordingly), so don't worry. My recommendation: don't shoot yourself in the foot and run like a madman on your first timed 2 mile run. This determines what group you are in; and though it will hurt your pride at first to be in one of the bottom groups, you will do a heck of a lot less running, and will get back from PT about 30 minutes earlier than the gunners who killed themselves that first day. Holy run-on sentence, batman.

Don't show up in uniform on the first day, you will look stupid. You don't have to wear your uniform until late in the first week, after everyone has had a chance to get their patches sewn on and buy a real hat, not the little frenchy painter's hat. You will get reimbursed for practically every breath you take while there, so don't worry. Have some money set aside, because you don't get paid until you've been there like 3 weeks. Prepare to have your car searched at the gate when you get there...go ahead and clean it out so the poor private won't have to dig through your crap to find the bomb you are hiding (this is time consuming, and if your car is clean, they tend to just take a cursory look around).

What else? Oh yeah, learn how to salute. You do it by holding the tip of your middle finger up to the outside edge of your eyebrow, with your hand tilted toward the ground so that your palm is not visible. You will be saluted ten million times, so don't embarrass the rest of us by bending your wrist or throwing up some gang-sign looking piece of crap.

Did I miss anything? I know I've rambled, but maybe somewhere in there you can find something useful. Ask away, if you have any questions.

-KE
2LT, almost MD (so, almost CPT), MIB, DVD, WWE, MIC, KEY, MOUSE

denali said:

Are you in the Army program? I'm in the Orlando area and I might go to OBC this summer also..

gatorfan99 said:
Are you in the Army program? I'm in the Orlando area and I might go to OBC this summer also..
Denali was responding to me, and yes, I am in the Army program. I'll be at OBC this summer assuming I ever get orders. I'll be shuttling between Gainesville and Orlando from now until OBC time. I graduate from UF tomorrow morning!!! Woohoo!!! :D

Hey guys...I'll also be doing OBC this summer...which is pretty odd since I'm already an O-3 and will have finished my transitional year internship by then...I did a 2 year HPSP and never did OBC...so the army is making me do it before I start my GMO...I'm finishing up my internship at BAMC and currently living in San Antonio...

GMO2003 said:
Hey guys...I'll also be doing OBC this summer...which is pretty odd since I'm already an O-3 and will have finished my transitional year internship by then...I did a 2 year HPSP and never did OBC...so the army is making me do it before I start my GMO...I'm finishing up my internship at BAMC and currently living in San Antonio...

So we, like, have to salute you and stuff? :p

idq1i said:
So we, like, have to salute you and stuff? :p

god NO!!! :D I'm definitely not the hoahh type if you know what I mean...however, If any of you guys wants some inside info on the ins and outs of BAMC I'll be sure to give you some insight... :thumbup:

Actually, not to be a dork, but they will have to. I had a new-to-the-Army Lt. Col. EENT surgeon in my platoon, and even though I got to know him very well, we all still had to salute him anytime we saw him outside. Call him "Sir" in conversation, etc. He didn't care, but all the Captains (the instructors) made a big deal out of it. I guess they don't have the opportunity to instruct an 05 doctor very often.

You all will get saluted a million times as well, so don't worry.