Obese and diabetic people =Pod's bread and butter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

OnlyFearGOD

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
SO diabetics and Obese people are the bread and butter to this profession. But what if there were no diabetics or obese people then what would be the bread and butter ? Obese seems to be more of a social problem which has become a medical issues but what if we reduced the obesity rate by 100% then what ?
 
SO diabetics and Obese people are the bread and butter to this profession. But what if there were no diabetics or obese people then what would be the bread and butter ? Obese seems to be more of a social problem which has become a medical issues but what if we reduced the obesity rate by 100% then what ?

What if nobody got sick? What if nobody got hurt? What if Bill Gates gave me his fortune?

There's no sense in playing the 'what ifs' game. There will always be obese individuals, and diabetes isn't going away any time soon.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I do have a lot of overweight (not necessarily obese) people in my office but my percentage of patients with diabetes is relatively low compared to my colleagues. I think my practice has gone that direction because I've cultivated more of a fitness and sports-focused patient panel. My bread and butter includes ingrown toenails, heel pain, neuromas, plantar warts, athlete's foot, tendinitis, bunions, but only a handful of diabetic ulcerations per year (that I often refer out). I find this setup is more personally satisfying because most of my patients are active, in decent health, trying to get better, but just need a little help getting past minor setbacks. I only schedule three people per day for onychomycosis debridement.

Diabetes-related foot problems are bread and butter to a lot of podiatrists but there are many other maladies that aren't necessarily related to the disease or to obesity. Some parts of the country (e.g., deep south) might force you to have a diabetes-focused patient panel though simply due to the population.
 
. I only schedule three people per day for onychomycosis debridement.

I personally have never heard of putting a limit on what type of patient is seen and how many of a given pathology are seen per day. We have an extremely busy practice with multiple doctors, multiple offices and a lot of different staff answering the phones and booking appointments. Our staff would go crazier than they already are if they had to start limiting specific types of patients to a pre set number per day.

More importantly, I'm not sure any of my partners would buy into that idea. By the nature of our training and skills, each member of our practice has developed a slightly different following. I may see 4-5 palliative care patients per 35-40 patients seen. But I will see any patient on my schedule no matter what the diagnosis. In my opinion it all balances out, sort of the idea of I'll see now or I'll see you later, so I'd rather see you now.

We find it much easier to pay our bills by treating all patients and not screening patients to allow X number of a given pathology per day. Not sure I understand that concept. Every patient that enters your office is seeking your care in some shape or form, and each one of these patients adds to your bottom line.

So the next time that 4th palliative care patient walks into your office and it exceeds your limit of "3", please send the patient to our practice. We will be happy to treat the patient!
 
I personally have never heard of putting a limit on what type of patient is seen and how many of a given pathology are seen per day. We have an extremely busy practice with multiple doctors, multiple offices and a lot of different staff answering the phones and booking appointments. Our staff would go crazier than they already are if they had to start limiting specific types of patients to a pre set number per day.

More importantly, I'm not sure any of my partners would buy into that idea. By the nature of our training and skills, each member of our practice has developed a slightly different following. I may see 4-5 palliative care patients per 35-40 patients seen. But I will see any patient on my schedule no matter what the diagnosis. In my opinion it all balances out, sort of the idea of I'll see now or I'll see you later, so I'd rather see you now.

We find it much easier to pay our bills by treating all patients and not screening patients to allow X number of a given pathology per day. Not sure I understand that concept. Every patient that enters your office is seeking your care in some shape or form, and each one of these patients adds to your bottom line.

So the next time that 4th palliative care patient walks into your office and it exceeds your limit of "3", please send the patient to our practice. We will be happy to treat the patient!

Trust me, it works for my practice. I've had this setup for several years and I've got it worked out. You and I have very different practices and our business models seem to work for each one of us and our personalities.
 
Trust me, it works for my practice. I've had this setup for several years and I've got it worked out. You and I have very different practices and our business models seem to work for each one of us and our personalities.

Understood. If a patient with mycotic nails only has one leg, will you add another palliative care patient that day?😀. Sorry, I couldn't help myself!!
 
Foot problems because you're obese, foot problems because you run and exercise; either way people will always have foot problems
 
Understood. If a patient with mycotic nails only has one leg, will you add another palliative care patient that day?😀. Sorry, I couldn't help myself!!

Ha ha, probably not, but I would refer him or her over to my buddy at the O & P lab to see about a sports prosthetic limb, and put him or her in touch with the local adaptive sports foundation to encourage him or her to go skiing in the winter and bicycling in the summer and to say "hi" if he or she sees me up at the ski area or out on the trails.
 
:
Ha ha, probably not, but I would refer him or her over to my buddy at the O & P lab to see about a sports prosthetic limb, and put him or her in touch with the local adaptive sports foundation to encourage him or her to go skiing in the winter and bicycling in the summer and to say "hi" if he or she sees me up at the ski area or out on the trails.

👍
 
Question, to everyone here- Since podiatrist deal with diabetic and obese patients should they then also be involved in nutritional aspects of their patients ? I think podiatrist should also be involved in that area of medicine. I think podiatrist should be involved in preventative care of obesity and diabetes