Obesity lectures

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I’m the top sniper in the entire US armed forces.
I had no idea we were at war with the Gorillas

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You...did not pay attention in endocrine lectures.

What's incorrect about what he said? Yeah, hormones can seriously modulate how much energy your body uses, but it's still an energy balance. So something like hypothyroidism could decrease your bmr, causing you to gain weight. But since you are using less calories, you require fewer calories, so you technically don't have to eat as much. However, the drive to eat is a whole separate issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
What's incorrect about what he said? Yeah, hormones can seriously modulate how much energy your body uses, but it's still an energy balance. So something like hypothyroidism could decrease your bmr, causing you to gain weight. But since you are using less calories, you require fewer calories, so you technically don't have to eat as much. However, the drive to eat is a whole separate issue.

This. Hormones don't follow their own kind of hormone physics; their actions are still bound by the laws of thermodynamics.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I may not help people lose weight, but I'm one of the most effective smoking cessation counselors in my hospital, and I feel a lot of the same techniques apply. The reason I'm so good at it is because I understand where my patients are coming from- I was a heavy smoker for a few years- and I am supportive and not judgemental. When my patients fail, it's alright, we can try again. It took me probably 20 tries to quit- let's just start back at square one, there's no reason to lose hope. You've got to sell them on the benefits of success rather than the price of continuing to live in their current state. We need to combat obesity, but we need to do it the right way, not the good 'ol fashioned approach of shunning the living hell out of them until they either straighten up or withdraw from society.

QFT. I smoked heavily for 14 years. I've been a non-practicing smoker for over 7 years now. I struggled to a long time to quit. You can't maintain major lifestyle changes through fear. You have to want the benefits.

Reactions: 4 users

Yup, it's basic physics.

• Obesity can be easily extinguished with minimal exercise and with a healthy diet plan