OBGYN Away Rotation - Advice Needed!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deez_md

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
Just finishing up MS3 year at mid-tier US MD program. I am a very late convert to ObGyn from certain Gen Surg. Just absolutely love my rotation and the people. I'd like to see if anyone had any advice for aways in ObGyn. I know aways are not guaranteed due to corona changing everything. Right now, however, we are told that we can be expected to return June 6th, so I'd like to operate under the assumption that aways will be happening.

Biggest things I'm looking for (I think? Advice here too if you have any!):
- I need to be in a city for my fiancee to be able to live with me due to her work
- My Step 1 is on the lower end (btwn 220-230) and want to be realistic with my picks
- I'd prefer to be somewhere that interviews/matches students that did aways there
- Basic science background and enjoy benchwork. Would prefer university over community.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Think most people arent even sure aways will happen at most Hospitals this year.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi All,
Just finishing up MS3 year (virtually...). I am a very late convert to ObGyn from certain Gen Surg. Just absolutely love my rotation and the people. I'd like to see if anyone had any advice for aways in ObGyn.

Biggest things I'm looking for (I think? Advice here too if you have any!):
- I need to be in a city for my fiancee to be able to live with me due to her work
- My Step 1 is on the lower end (btwn 220-230) and want to be realistic with my picks
- I'd prefer to be somewhere that interviews/matches students that did aways there

Thanks in advance for your help!

At this point, I would not count on any sub-I’s prior to ERAS submission.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Members don't see this ad :)
Your best bet will be getting your Ob/Gyn mentors at your home program to make calls and bat for you. Away rotations likely won’t happen.

First of all, aways might not happen at all this year because of coronavirus. But they're absolutely not a requirement for OB. In my opinion the biggest advantage of an away is that some of them guarantee an interview to their students, but that comes at the price of being "on" for an entire month-long interview, arranging housing and transportation, etc. And at the end of the day it might be a courtesy interview and they don't plan on ranking you highly! The other advantages are that a letter from an away rotation might be a little more valuable because some perceive them to be less "biased" than a letter from your home program which has a vested interest in your success and that it might help get your foot in the door a tiny bit to a geographical region you have no connection to. All in all, don't feel obligated to do an away unless you want to get more exposure to different institutions and perspectives. But don't fret at all if they don't happen this year!

It's a new world with corona out there. Auditions may not happen this year, hard to say this early out.

Of those that matched at my program, about 80% either did a rotation or a 2nd look. Keep in mind the match favors the applicant, not the program, so those that rotate with us or 2nd look are likely those who liked us and were curious about us and confirmed ranking us #1 at the match.

Look for community programs and those DO friendly - they tend to be more open for a good fit than a hard line on steps

You probably don’t need an away rotation. You’re scores are average to a little above for OB. Do SubI with your instituition, I recommend onc and L&D. If you’re a dude, that’ll also work in your favor.