ObGyn fellowships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stimpworth

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the ObGyn fellowships?
Which are the hardest to get accepted to? most lucrative? best lifestyle?

thanks in advance,
Mike

Members don't see this ad.

This is from my limited knowledgebase. There are 4 major OB/GYN fellowships: gyn oncology, maternal fetal medicine (perinatology), urogynecology/pelvic surgery and reproductive endocrinology and infertility. If you go to NRMP web site you can find out how many spaces are available nationwide. All fellowships are very competitive, except for MFM (right now). Gyn oncologist, I think, have the worst lifestyle with lots of hours and emergencies. Urogyn, MFM and REI have much better lifestyle. There are also fellowships in adolescent and pediatric gyn, laporascopy, sexuality, and some other odd ones. Hope this helps.
Dani

Why if MFM not competitive? Life style?
Also in the past when I heard ObGyns talk they said that you work like a dog as an obstetrician, so as they get further in their carreers they decide to shift more towards gyn (easier hours), if that true?

Members don't see this ad :)
It's true, there's a general shift towards gyn for an individual physician over time, but this could possibly be due to the aging of his/her client panel, in addition to personal choice.

MFM isn't as competitive currently, but these things come in cycles. A few years back, some REI propgrams would regularly go unmatched. Urogyn, which was certified not too long ago, is hot right now.

There are only four certified OB/GYN fellowships, but as dankatzzz says, there's a number of other subspecialties that you can get training in.

A good reference is ACOG web site. The most lucrative fellowship and also the most training is gyn/onc with uro/gyn and rei a close second. Most MFM's still practice general OB and thus malpractice is very very high esp. since they are already working with high risk mom's.

good luck
Diane

Hi there, Thank's for all the info. I am interested in going into REI and wanted to get a little more info. What are these ACOG aand NRMP wek sites? Thanks, I am just entering med school , but has been an intrest forever.

i am a bit confused...i was under the impression that you do your fellowships s/p a full ob/gyn residency. am i crazy? if i am not crazy, then what exactly is a prelim ob/gyn position?

i guess what i am asking is simply what is the progression from residency to fellowship in ob/gyn, and how and when you apply for fellowships...

thanks!

Prelim in OB/GYN is mostly for hospitals to get more labor power. Also, a number of foreign grads who don't match with a regular position go with prelim in a good program in hopes that someone will drop out and then they get the position. Lastly, some FP residents like to do this first in order to get more OB experience. There are more prelim positions in OB/GYN than there one yera fellowships in OB for FP residents.
Dani

Diane and others,

do you know any rough salary figures for the four subspecialties?

anyone know of a link to all the different subspecialties (other than the usual 4)?

Why do gyn-oncs have worse hours and more emergencies? I guess I don't know much about it, as I assumed it would have better hours than the other fellowships, with the exception of pelvic surgery. Are there cancer emergencies? It's not like the tumor isn't going to be there if you wait til the morning.

To answer the last 2 questions:

UCFER: http://www.abog.org/ has information on the big 4. The others vary extensively from program to program. If you look around you'll see that various programs have funding and will offer fellowships in Laprascopic gynecologic surgery and other similar ones. These are generallyvery specific and depend on your taste. By the time you are well into your residency and have formulated plans to do one you'll be able to find information for them.

stormjen: Gyn-Onc's generally do not have the "bad" call that the OB's have in terms of hours, but their regular hours can equal that of the other Ob-Gyn Subspecialties. Their surgeries generally run longer, involve more extensive procedures (i.e not dissection, lysis of many many adhesions, etc), and in addition to all of that the must round on their patient (many complex patients) and see patients in the office. The "emergency" aspect of Gyn-Onc is actually very real and often frequent. Many patients can be in late stages of cancer, and have many acute issues secondary to the disease. Think about ascites, perfs, resp failure, etc. They often have patients in the SICU admitted under their name and must manage them. The tumor will be there in the morning, but the patient may not!