Obligatory Part II thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dtrack22

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Vent, brag, tell us how your school had 100% pass rate, celebrate, let someone else talk you off the ledge...

This will be fun. Unless it's not.

Members don't see this ad.

How do you know if you passed or failed? Through the school dean or prometric?

NBPME/Prometric snail mail out results. To find out today you would have to call your deans office or receive an email from them. Different schools handle it differently I'm sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
It will be interesting to see what the overall pass rate looks like. I wonder what or if the postponement for a lot of the east coast students will play in their favor or against them.... We will see.

Frankly I would not have wanted to take boards after CRIP. It's a tough spot to be put in by Mother Nature.
I agree, I feel for anyone that had to do it on the 19th. I know of some who had local interviews on the 18th and boards on the 19th. You would probably be exhausted after CRIP and any local interviews you had, plus when it comes down to it while the material is somewhat the same interviews are so much more trauma and classification based and require a completely different method of studying in my opinion.

Any word on what the overall pass rate looks like or even the individual schools pass rate?

Members don't see this ad :)
Dammmmmnnn. I really thought the podiatry Gods were going to stick it to us to alleviate the shortage. This makes it even harder for the unmatched from previous years IMHO.
Well this definitely won't help to alleviate the shortage.... Brace for a very large # unmatched come March 20th IMHO. I wouldn't necessarily says it puts previous graduates at a disadvantage, keep in mind some of the unmatched have spent the year gaining experience which some programs may value. If I was faced with two similar academic status student and one had a year of experience I know who I would pick personally...

Well this definitely won't help to alleviate the shortage....

The first time pass rate really has no bearing on the shortage. 6% of re-takers could pass, leaving a 94% pass rate and around 40 more seats than there would be class of 2014 grads. Or 10% could pass and the class of 2014 would be a wash, meaning the problem isn't compounding but there are still a combination of just over 50 kids from 2013 and 2014 who are "qualified" and don't get a spot.

It is really pointless to assume anything at this point.

I wouldn't necessarily says it puts previous graduates at a disadvantage...

It absolutely puts them at a disadvantage at a huge majority of programs across the country for all the reasons ankle breaker mentioned.

While it probably isn't productive, and certainly not indicative of the unmatched population as a whole, I did run across an unmatched student this year. I had a classmate who did as well. Our experiences were very similar and it was blatantly obvious why they did not get a program. It reaffirmed what I've always believed: that there ought to be a seat for every graduating student. But even with a million residency positions, there would be "qualified" individuals who wouldn't get a program

that there ought to be a seat for every graduating student.

100% agree

But even with a million residency positions, there would be "qualified" individuals who wouldn't get a program

Absolutely right. Why don't certain "qualified" applicants end up in a residency position? The answer could be hugely beneficial to all future podiatry students, learn from the mistakes of others and all that. The question is how candidly program director and decision makers would participate in that discussion.

True but an unmatched student comes with a stigma as well. Whether it's justified or not. Sure this unmatched has gained experience but why did they go unmatched in the first place? Personality? Work ethic? Unprepared? Sure, this unmatched has done good in his/her year off but will history repeat itself if I hire this person? Those are the questions rolling around in my head if I'm the director making the decision. I think gaining a year of experience does not clearly distinguish one student from another. But that's my opinion.
All very valid points and I agree but as you said it is a stigma and does not apply to all. I can see how it would be difficult to overcome those perceptions, a previous grad must work much harder just to compensate for these types of questions...

The first time pass rate really has no bearing on the shortage. 6% of re-takers could pass, leaving a 94% pass rate and around 40 more seats than there would be class of 2014 grads. Or 10% could pass and the class of 2014 would be a wash, meaning the problem isn't compounding but there are still a combination of just over 50 kids from 2013 and 2014 who are "qualified" and don't get a spot.

I would argue that it is at least indicative of a trend. Over the previous few years we have seen the first time and overall pass rate increase each year so I would not call the first time pass rate "pointless" because it fits the trend and I would expect will correlate with a very high overall pass rate. As Ankle Breaker said I really doubt that a second time around is really going to weed out a large number of students if so many made it the first time..

It absolutely puts them at a disadvantage at a huge majority of programs across the country for all the reasons ankle breaker mentioned.

While it probably isn't productive, and certainly not indicative of the unmatched population as a whole, I did run across an unmatched student this year. I had a classmate who did as well. Our experiences were very similar and it was blatantly obvious why they did not get a program. It reaffirmed what I've always believed: that there ought to be a seat for every graduating student. But even with a million residency positions, there would be "qualified" individuals who wouldn't get a program

True, as that is the case for some unmatched and historically it has been those with glaring deficiencies that don't match BUT your comment is a perpetuation of a stereotype based on one student you met and one you heard about. I met an unmatched student in my travels and I could see no glaring deficiencies that should condemn him to a life as a Walmart employee and crushing debt!

I 100% agree with this. No evaluations can be made until 2nd go around.

I 100% agree with this. No evaluations can be made until 2nd go around.

And I should clarify. I misspoke and meant if retakers increased the overall rate by 6%. Not if 6% of them pass. Looks like everyone got what I meant.

Two things. Pass rates have not "historically been trending up". They are actually remarkably consistent, or have been in the past. Last years practically 99% pass rate was an anomaly. There is no trend...yet. There could be, but your statement about some upward trend isn't true. Also, stereotypes exist for a reason. Prior to last year and a handful of the 2013'ers didn't get spots for very obvious reasons. So much so that the stigma/stereotype has sunk in very deeply amongst residency programs, in my experience. It may not be "fair" but I don't blame them for being cautious. After a year or two of re-applicants coming through and performing well, though, the perception will change. If they come trough and perform well...

And I should clarify. I misspoke and meant if retakers increased the overall rate by 6%. Not if 6% of them pass. Looks like everyone got what I meant.

Two things. Pass rates have not "historically been trending up". They are actually remarkably consistent, or have been in the past. Last years practically 99% pass rate was an anomaly. There is no trend...yet. There could be, but your statement about some upward trend isn't true. Also, stereotypes exist for a reason. Prior to last year and a handful of the 2013'ers didn't get spots for very obvious reasons. So much so that the stigma/stereotype has sunk in very deeply amongst residency programs, in my experience. It may not be "fair" but I don't blame them for being cautious. After a year or two of re-applicants coming through and performing well, though, the perception will change. If they come trough and perform well...
First time pass rate class of 2012 was 82%, class of 2013 84%, class of 2014 88%. Trend.

That seems like a pretty high first time pass rate. I was expecting it to be a lot lower. Glad everyone here did well.

For every one of these threads, the national average is always 86% (or mid to high 80's) and every school is always like 4-6 points higher.

it don't make no sense.

For every one of these threads, the national average is always 86% (or mid to high 80's) and every school is always like 4-6 points higher.

it don't make no sense.
does the national average include people retaking it or not? i think most schools state a certain percent pass rate on just a certain academic class year.

the 88% national pass rate is first time test takers only

AZPod first time pass rate for part 2 this year was 96% (aka: one person did not pass). Got the official word from our clerkship coordinator the other day.

Congrats to Scholl 2014!

NYCPM 2014 also managed to achieve a 100% pass rate on Part 2 after the retest! The initial pass rate was 94%.

Wishing everyone the best of luck in the match!

So what schools did so poorly to bring down the average?

So what is the OVERALL pass rate for all schools after both test administrations? I guess if we don't have that info we will just have to wait till everyone reports on their individual school....

We were sent the following (below), but were not provided the overall pass rate with the second time takers. There's an IPMSA meeting tomorrow; perhaps it will be discussed there.

The first time pass rate on APMLE Part II of the national board exam was 91% compared to a national pass rate of 88%. CPMS scored higher in all five
sections compared to the national performance with the strongest sections being (1) Anesthesia/Surgery, (2) Orthopedics, Biomechanics and Sports
Medicine and (3) Radiology. The greatest differential between CPMS and the national performance was in Radiology at 7.8%.

The NBPME doesn't calculate/publish an "overall" pass rate after the second administration. We get that number from CASPR once they run the match. CASPR/the AACPM probably have the pass rate now, or could figure it out real easily, but I wouldn't trust any student who says they know it until a day or two before March 20th.

I believe that the pass rate after second re-take from Temple was either 99% or 100% according to our assistant dean. First time was around 90%.
Overall I am relatively surprised since I thought that the national average would be lower this year due to the fact that in the last couple years part 2 has been passed in the high 90s percent.

I don't know if anyone can chime in about the remaining schools but it sounds like the pass rate after the second administration is very high, most likely higher than last year.

Seems to me that boards with a 99% pass rate do little to show the MD or DO community that we deserve equality. While I realize it is a competence exam, in my opinion it looks bad, not to mention does no good for the shortage at hand.

Seems to me that boards with a 99% pass rate do little to show the MD or DO community that we deserve equality. While I realize it is a competence exam, in my opinion it looks bad,

Not sure what you mean by this when first time pass rate for USMLE Step 1-3 hover around the 95-99%.

Not sure what you mean by this when first time pass rate for USMLE Step 1-3 hover around the 95-99%.

What's your source? Plus as I said its just my opinion!

Denzel-Washington-Boom-Gif.gif

Reactions: 1 user
You showed me! I will reiterate again, it is IN MY OPINION pointless if everyone will pass or 99% will in only two attempts but hey as I said that's just my opinion!

Last edited:
I think the underlying assumption of your opinion is that "unqualified" (we've used the word "qualified" every which way lately so read this as "not up to par") candidates are slipping through. The MD/DO pass rate approaches 100%, but their approach seems to be that the test is used as a method to distinguish themselves from one another. Our test is a final filter to try and stop the worst from slipping through or lately as the only hope for disqualifying enough candidates from the class of 2014 so that the class of 2013 will have some seats leftover.

According to a message I received on this forum from a Barry student who wished to remain anonymous Barry had 8 students fail the Part II retake. Again I can't confirm this but it is what this student claimed to be the truth.

I could probably look up the pass rate for Barry last year but out of curiosity how does the 89% compare? Better, worse or the same?