Observation Hours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amlope03

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many hours should I have to be competitive? Or should the question be how many settings should I have to be competitive?

I understand each school has a minimum requirement, but I'm sure accepted applicants have well over that.

My stats as of now:
80 hours at a nursing home (job shadowing inpatient)
80 hours at an orthopedic/sports therapy setting (job shadowing outpatient)
140 hours at an orthopedic setting (interning outpatient w/ hands-on experience)
Possibly hours in a neuroscience/spinal rehab setting (working inpatient/outpatient- as a technician)

Members don't see this ad.

How many hours should I have to be competitive? Or should the question be how many settings should I have to be competitive?

I understand each school has a minimum requirement, but I'm sure accepted applicants have well over that.

My stats as of now:
80 hours at a nursing home (job shadowing inpatient)
80 hours at an orthopedic/sports therapy setting (job shadowing outpatient)
140 hours at an orthopedic setting (interning outpatient w/ hands-on experience)
Possibly hours in a neuroscience/spinal rehab setting (working inpatient/outpatient- as a technician)
You'll be in really good shape if you get ~40 hours in a neuro setting. Shouldn't need much more than that.

I had 80 observation hours (30 inpatient/50 outpatient) and was accepted to my top two schools. My feeling is that fewer hours in more settings is better.

(other stats 4.0GPA and 157V 159Q 4.5AW)

Diversity is better than quantity. Yes, make sure you have a good amount of hours in inpatient and outpatient because most programs require that. But if you want to set yourself apart, get another setting like neuro/spinal cord as you mentioned. Your stats look pretty solid though. In the end it depends on the school. I know some value what you've learned while shadowing and don't care much for hours while others only look at the number of hours.
Personally, I have 98 hours combined in two outpatient settings and 300 in inpatient pediatric neuro.