Observation question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hailstate16

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a Junior at Miss. State, majoring in Kinesiology with an Exercise Phys. concentration. I have around 65-ish hours left after this semester before I graduate--that's counting the additional prereqs for PT school. When would it be advised to start observations? I've heard that some schools only count observations done in the year of application, or something of that nature. Or is it that you can do the observations beforehand, keep track of them, and then get them verified during the application process?

Members don't see this ad.

I have never heard of their being a temporal requirement of any kind for observation hours, but maybe its out there somewhere. Just start as soon as you can, make sure you get an email (and preferably phone number) from the PT so you can stay in contact when it is time to verify. Sounds like you have no huge rush though because you probably still have 2 years of undergrad if you've still got 65 credits left to do.

Yeah I was actually doing the math yesterday on how many more semesters I would need to finish up if I took 6 hours or so during a summer session. It ended up being like 5 or something like that, not including the summer classes.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should probably be able to do it in two years with a summer session, if you would need to take 15 credits/semester and 5 or 6 in the summer in between. That is totally doable, although you may not be able to work a lot.

If you don't mind me asking, how are you saying your a junior but you still need 65 credits. Did you switch to Kinesio late?

I switched from Teaching/Coaching after my very first semester. About half of those first classes weren't needed for the concentration I'm in now (Exercise Phys).