1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Observed in Surgery today

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by DiverDoc, Dec 17, 2005.

1. DiverDoc

DiverDoc KCUMB 2012
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    So this morning I was able to scrub in on an open abdominal surgery. The patient had a partial bowel obstruction. Overall very interesting and I was surprised at how much I got to help. If any of you have the oppertunity TAKE IT... I will be watching a lot over break but it really is an awesome experience. :thumbup:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Amy B

Amy B I miss my son so much
    Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    wow... sounds like you had a great opportunity. That is awesome

4. CoverMe

CoverMe Registered Republican
    7+ Year Member

I still remember EVERY DETAIL of the first surgery I observed... an emergency C-section. I was working the Neo-nate truck for AMR, and got dispatched to a hospital that didn't have a NICU. Everyone was scrubbing in (I was with a nurse, resp. therapist, and a physician from the hospital we'd be transporting to), so after plugging in the isolette in the hallway (to keep the battery up, and the isolette warm), I scrubbed in and gowned up too. Everyone was too busy to notice who i was, I guess.

I stationed myself in a corner and thought two thoughts....

#1 - HOW FREAKING COOL IS THIS?!??!!

and

#2 - DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING!!!!!

All of a sudden, I heard someone say, "Is this your first time in an OR?" ... I looked up (mind racing... what do i say?!?!?! Yes=get kicked out, or No=expected to know something?!?!?!). I managed a "Yes" and looked up into the eyes of the surgeon, who I was standing RIGHT NEXT TO. Apparently I was so engrossed, I'd walked around and was right there, looking into the patients' abdomen. The surgeon just said, "Cool" and continued w/ the surgery, but explaining everything to me. Totally frickin amazing. I knew right then that I needed to be a surgeon.

If you can get into a surgery, i couldn't recommend it more.

5. HooahDOc

Physician 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I scrubbed into a few lap choles my freshman year. Interesting, but after the third it gets a bit old just watching.

I did get to see some operation where the surgeon removed dead tissue from the foot of a burn patient. I don't remember the whole story, but he was a diabetic who fell asleep with a heating pad on his foot. I'm not sure how it burned and split open his foot, but whatever.

Afterwards I discovered that the nurses apparently had a bet as to whether I would faint or not. I never did find out who won.