observership's and LOR's for applying in multiple speciality

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

imgHusband

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, looking for some advice for my wife. She is IMG, Microbiology MD from India.
She will be applying for residency match next year, she is working on step 2 CK currently.

She is thinking about applying in 2 specialities Internal Medicine and Pathology.
Couple of questions regarding observership and LOR's:

1) Does she need to do observerships and get LOR's from both specialities?
2) For people who apply in multi speciality, at time of interviews do they disclose to interviewer
if asked that they applied to another speciality?
3) Also question in genral, if you do observership a year before applying do you ask for LOR now
or later at time of applying?

Thanks in advance :)

Members don't see this ad.

1) Both would be ideal but if she can only have one then IM is better
2) PDs cannot ask if you have applied to more than a single speciality at the same hospital
3) You ask for LOR at the time of applying if you want it to be waived else at the end of your rotation if you want it to be not waived.

Best of luck

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks Ark1990 for your response!

I understand more about ECFMG LOR's system now after reading your response and reading this page ECFMG | Asking for a Letter of Recommendation (LoR) – ECHO

that brings me to this question: Do most people apply with waived LOR, as that gives extra adavantage in eyes of PD? if so, then for person writing letter, isnt it more tough to remember that particular student if they had worked 1-2 yrs ago ?

Yes almost everyone applies with a waived LOR. Its the best way to go in almost all circumstances.
You should keep in contact with them or their secretaries through email over the time from your rotation till you apply and email them on Christmas easter etc.
Normally they write almost the same LOR for all their students so not remembering you is not too much of a big ideal

You're welcome!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You're very welcome
Best of luck for everything!!