Obstacle essay- Reinvention?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IlyaR

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wondering if this is an appropriate answer. The way I phrased it is that my greatest obstacle was my initial shortcomings in undergrad, and I had to try to overshadow that tarnish by doing great on my MCAT, final 65 credits in college, and SMP.

I don't want it to come off as hubris (afterall overcoming would be getting an acceptance)
At the same time I feel like I can showcase myself and focus on my strengths (learned from mistakes, determinedness, etc

What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

To add onto this, why is it when a question asks for your biggest obstacle, it is not looked favorably if you talk about reapplying to medical school, but something such as setting up a family BBQ could work. Isn't the stigma against using reapplying to medical school because it brings up the question, "that's really your biggest obstacle?" Why doesn the family bbq bring about the same thing?

I believe it was @gonnif who posted about this

Also IIyaR, I believe the answer is to think of something else, since you want something you accomplished and already has a positive ending.

Reactions: 1 user
I disagree. Although I know a lot of people say to stay away from grades, I talked about this for some of my greatest obstacle/accomplishment I am most proud of essays, and it hasn't stopped me from getting IIs (at least at one school this time around, heh). Though your ultimate goal is to get into medical school and you have yet to do that, I don't think you should talk down the such a huge accomplishment as doing well on the MCAT + acing your last 65 credit hours + acing an SMP. I would definitely include what attributes you've gained or what coping mechanisms or skills you've learned though.

Members don't see this ad :)
@gonnif has some great points. I'm definitely more of a "take the skeletons out of the closet and dance with them" person, and my so-called reinvention was a huge part of my life because it really did make me a better person. I really felt like I couldn't apply to medical school without talking about it. If you're the same kind of person and if your grade reinvention had as huge of an impact on your life and you can write about it sincerely and honestly, I would go for it.

@gonnif also makes the very important point that "For this to be effective it must read true, passionate, motivated and committed."

To do that, write it up like you are trying to explain it to your friend. Then remove the inappropriate/slang words (but NOT the plain ones - those are honest) and make it a little more concise. For this essay, do not use any words a middle-schooler wouldn't use because if the words are passionate, it's highly likely that in this context, they will also be cringe-worthy. Sincerity is often not particularly eloquent; for this essay, sacrifice the eloquence.