Obstructive Vs. Hemolytic Jaundice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lests55

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
USMLE World describes obstructive jaundice as having pale stools and dark urine. I thought that hemolysis produced the dark stools and darker urine, while obstructive janudiced was associated with light stool and relatively lighter urine (Don't have Goljan in front of me, but I think that is what he says too).

Help?

Members don't see this ad.

USMLE World describes obstructive jaundice as having pale stools and dark urine. I thought that hemolysis produced the dark stools and darker urine, while obstructive janudiced was associated with light stool and relatively lighter urine (Don't have Goljan in front of me, but I think that is what he says too).

Help?

I believe that the darker color of urine associated w/ obstructive jaundice is caused by the excess in conjugated billirubin getting into the urine, not by the break down of urobilinogen to urobilin that we would normally associate with urine color.

I believe that the darker color of urine associated w/ obstructive jaundice is caused by the excess in conjugated billirubin getting into the urine, not by the break down of urobilinogen to urobilin that we would normally associate with urine color.

I second that.

right on. keep in mind that the urine with bilirubin in it looks a lot different from regular concentrated piss. look

also, the urine will be urobilinogen negative

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
right on. keep in mind that the urine with bilirubin in it looks a lot different from regular concentrated piss. look

Excellent catalog of photos! Thanks, bookmarked*

My apologies for straying off topic from the OP's question, but is there a section in this forum, or any other forum for that matter, where people go to exclusively ask questions on basic medical science material? I find that it's a great way to see whether or not I understand something, and while I waste my time on these forums anyway, might as well make it productive for myself and someone else, right?