Obtaining a uniform

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DD214_DOC

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For you HPSP guys out there, is it possible to obtain your uniforms and military ID before reporting to OBC? I ask because I am getting married two months before I *hopefully* attend.

Members don't see this ad.

Yep. Once you have your commissioning paperwork you will be allowed onto military installations. Go to the Military Customer Service Office and obtain your ID. Proceed to Military Clothing to purchase your uniforms. These are the AF names of the respective locations you will need to visit, so the Army or Navy equivalents may be called something different... the process should remain the same.

Hope this helps a little.

Cyndi

Originally posted by JKDMed
For you HPSP guys out there, is it possible to obtain your uniforms and military ID before reporting to OBC? I ask because I am getting married two months before I *hopefully* attend.

The uniforms (bdu + B) will come to Few hundred$. You won't get reimbursed until a ~week before the OBC starts

Members don't see this ad :)
And for goodness sake, get a uniforms that fit correctly, with all the appropriate accessories.

Originally posted by JKDMed
Dumb question, but would a major Army installation's clothing store also sell AF and Navy uniforms? I'm really close to Ft. Jackson but quite a ways from any AF or Navy installation.

By the way, check out the new AF BDUs
http://www.af.mil/stories/story.asp?storyID=123005370

i haven't seen any AF gear at the Army installations i've been to.

i've seen those "new" AF BDU's before. once back on WCW with a wrestler, and several times driving by the hispanic government housing near my house. :)

Ft. Sam's shop has a good selection for all the branches. Couple pieces of advice: only get the alterations done on post which are covered by the purchase price. Anything extra, get done on your own from one of the many little cleaner/tailors close to the post. Don't get pin on insignia for you BDUs. Buy the sewn on ones and take them to one of the little shops. They's make you your name tags (both for class Bs and BDUs) as well. In terms of your class A Uniform, HPSPers are not eligible for the National Defense Service Medal until they are on permanent active duty. Thus if you didn't go to OBC you won't need to worry about ribbons on your Class A uniform.

Ed

Originally posted by Homunculus
i haven't seen any AF gear at the Army installations i've been to.

i've seen those "new" AF BDU's before. once back on WCW with a wrestler, and several times driving by the hispanic government housing near my house. :)

Stop pickin on the Air Force! We just wanna be cool. Blue BDUs are better to blend in with the, uh, sky.

~Alli

If you're going to COT, time will scheduled for you to get your uniforms as a group...it's kind of nice having them already so you just sit back and watch the "cluster****". If you take uniforms to an off-post tailor make sure you have the regs that govern uniform wear. It can be hilarious seeing some of the more creative ideas on uniform wear on the first day. Of course if you want to see your flight officer have a seizure just put your accouterments on "any ol' witch way". Congrats on all you new residents!!!

Don't forget!! You can register at www.aafes.com and buy everything on-line. I ama big guy, tall, and have enourmous feet, so for me, going to a military clothing store is a nightmare!! aafes.com has everything you need for air force and army!

Speaking of first uniform day, the first day we wore our summer whites in NROTC I had the shoulderboards on backwards. :laugh: As in the pointy part facing out and the blunt facing inwards. The CO got a kick out of that.

that was a good one alli cat, enough to make me laugh out loud!

Originally posted by bbawco1
that was a good one alli cat, enough to make me laugh out loud!

A good friend of mine during an ADT tells me this story:

An applicant in a very competitive specialty has done and ADT and is going for his/her interview day. The student has never worn the class A uniform and rather than have the rank insignia pinned on the epilletes (sp?) he/she has the shoulder boards from the class Bs. My friend tells the other this on the way to the interview, they quick go back to the BOQ and my friend gives up her insignia.:laugh:

Ed