Obtaining in-state tuition?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jmm2018

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I know plenty of OOS students every year are able to go in front of a board and appeal their tuition rates and prove that they plan to stay in state and practice after graduating. Can anyone give me their story/advice? I know the simple stuff like filing taxes or getting an in state drivers license, but the famous quote I keep hearing is that “every case is different” and I’d just like to hear some successful cases.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys! I know plenty of OOS students every year are able to go in front of a board and appeal their tuition rates and prove that they plan to stay in state and practice after graduating. Can anyone give me their story/advice? I know the simple stuff like filing taxes or getting an in state drivers license, but the famous quote I keep hearing is that “every case is different” and I’d just like to hear some successful cases.

Thanks!
This really depends on the school you are looking into. Which one are you thinking about? There are a few that allow you to switch residencies easily after first year (Mizzou, Ohio State, NCSU, Wash U, I think Davis?), but otherwise it can be really, really, really difficult. I would NOT go to a school thinking you will be able to get IS residency unless it was the ones I listed above. I was OOS for a school and even though I had taxes, drivers license, a house there, AND plans to stay there, I was swiftly denied IS residency. In general the only circumstances I have heard people be able to get IS is if they are part of the military or marry a person from that state.

In OK, you start out of state and you stay out of state. Unless you marry a resident. I wouldn't necessarily recommend that route unless it happens for other reasons. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
In Illinois, your household has to make 50% of the OOS cost, I believe, and everyone in the household has to be an Illinois resident in every conceivable way (drivers license, taxes, permanent address, registration, health insurance, etc). At least that's what's been conveyed to me. Even then, there's no guarantee. The only people I know who have done so successfully are married and the spouse is the breadwinner.

In Colorado if you are a veteran you are guarunteed in state tuition as long as you move to Colorado and “establish domicile” before vet school starts. If your spouse is a veteran they can petition for you to be listed as a veteran’s dependent and if they are successful, you would get in state tuition as well.

Also during my interview at Minnesota several students told me they had no issues changing their residence and switching to in state tuition.

Ashgirl posted that Ohio State is one of the schools that allows you to establish in state residency after a year. Is this true of other schools in Ohio?