OC/LA Groups (Sanitized Version)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don't feel like you do this job as you sole source of income. This job is either for the spouse of someone in LA who makes "the real money", like Kenya Barris, or this is the side gig of someone's real job.
It cannot be a side gig with those hours.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Some people just have a hard time accepting that LA is loserville for anesthesiologists . How tf u gonna live in Santa Monica without making a Santa Monica salary? Oh thats right, youll never actually afford to live in the city u work, you have to live in Culver City with all the gangsters

• Okay...
Reactions: 2 users
Some people just have a hard time accepting that LA is loserville for anesthesiologists . How tf u gonna live in Santa Monica without making a Santa Monica salary? Oh thats right, youll never actually afford to live in the city u work, you have to live in Culver City with all the gangsters

I think what’s also missed is how sick the patient population is in LA (on average at least). Working hard for low pay- it’s like perpetual residency

Members don't see this ad :)
I think what’s also missed is how sick the patient population is in LA (on average at least). Working hard for low pay- it’s like perpetual residency

Everyone thinks they have the sickest patients.

Reactions: 1 users
Or go further south to ASMG in San Diego.

Interviewed with this group. Almost moved across country for this group. It disfavors the big CT cases because they discount base units. But overall if you're looking in San Diego or Southern CA. The structure is not predatory and I seriously considered joining this group before I decided to be next to family.

Interviewed with this group. Almost moved across country for this group. It disfavors the big CT cases because they discount base units. But overall if you're looking in San Diego or Southern CA. The structure is not predatory and I seriously considered joining this group before I decided to be next to family.
Supposedly they pay a lot but u work like dog

Supposedly they pay a lot but u work like dog

Neither one of those things is particularly true.

I wish you would stop commenting on the SoCal market because 95% of what you say is false.

• Haha

The more I read your posts in this thread, the more I think your only experience in LA was some dude spitting in your fries at the In-N-Out by LAX.

Reactions: 4 users
The more I read your posts in this thread, the more I think your only experience in LA was some dude spitting in your fries at the In-N-Out by LAX.
Go live with the criminals in culver city

I think they have one of the most fair systems you could come up with. There is not screwing the new guy Las far as I can tell.

Everyone thinks they have the sickest patients.

This.

I feel the people that don't do that many sick people particularly think this.

To support their argument they would list like 10 diagnosis that doesn't affect the anesthetic at all. It's pretty LOL.

The real rock stars don't even mention anything that's irrelevant and just says "meh" to what I think is the sickest people that I've seen... Kinda makes me wonder who's really doing sick patients...

Members don't see this ad :)
Slight bump...

How has the job hunt been going for those looking in So Cal during the time of COVID?

All I know about socal is a group in LA that boned their new docs with tons of nights and weekends, paid jack and then sold out to private equity. The megagroup in san diego is supposed to be pretty ok though.

All I know about socal is a group in LA that boned their new docs with tons of nights and weekends, paid jack and then sold out to private equity. The megagroup in san diego is supposed to be pretty ok though.

Only one group in LA? All groups in LA do that to their new docs.

Are there any good groups there? Considering a move from the Bay Area down to SoCal to be closer to friends and family.

I think it has been mentioned, but I suspect there are a ton of great ASC jobs in LA area, or office based jobs that pay well.

I moonlight for a gig for LA County system. It pays $220/hr. I was offered $250 for a per diem job further up north.

But I think the best bet is get a job at Kaiser. Or go further south to ASMG in San Diego.

We just interviewed a cardiac guy from asmg and hired another 6 mo. ago. Seemed be very happy. Only downside is scheduling efficiency and traffic plus payor mix.

Why did they leave? Just curious and don't have to answer.
Our state and our region in particular has seen a massive influx of Californians. Especially Bay area folks. I think getting a step up on life is just way easier here compared to cali. Going from California income tax to no income tax is a huge plus. Although our housing market is booming, it is still way way cheaper than Cali housing markets in places like SD, LA, SF. You can buy quite the compound here for that plus commute to work is super fast and our access to the outdoors is pretty amazing.
SF is not what it used to be- people like to live around lake tahoe.

Reactions: 4 users
Something nice about waking up on a Saturday morning going for a 2 hour Sierra mountain bike ride and then back home for brunch.

C1CE2BB9-0AA2-4645-A216-F59B9DEE9A21.jpeg

Reactions: 8 users
I'm all about Lake Tahoe it is the driving around there with all the tourists that kills me. I am thinking about retiring to reno in the future.

I'm all about Lake Tahoe it is the driving around there with all the tourists that kills me. I am thinking about retiring to reno in the future.

Ya. The tourist can be a pain.... but there is so much more to do this area than lake tahoe.

Here is my buddy a few weekends ago at a nearby lake.
A1576BEB-5D6C-430F-84A7-28E516299EBF.jpeg

• Love
25 minutes door to launching and no tourists.... keep the secret a secret @SaltyDog

You let me know next time you are up here stealing our fish u mofo

LOL, that was down here, in saltwater, where real men fish.

I’ll trade you some high Sierra trout fishing trips for some SoCal offshore trips anytime you want.

• Haha
100%. Thought the mountains in the background looked a little wimpy...

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Our state and our region in particular has seen a massive influx of Californians. Especially Bay area folks. I think getting a step up on life is just way easier here compared to cali. Going from California income tax to no income tax is a huge plus. Although our housing market is booming, it is still way way cheaper than Cali housing markets in places like SD, LA, SF. You can buy quite the compound here for that plus commute to work is super fast and our access to the outdoors is pretty amazing.
SF is not what it used to be- people like to live around lake tahoe.
He’s so right about this

I thought he was some kind of football jock.

Well, I did play all 4 years in high school. I was one of those punk rock, surf bum, huntin/fishin, straight A, football jocks - you know the type.

Well, I did play all 4 years in high school. I was one of those punk rock, surf bum, huntin/fishin, straight A, football jocks - you know the type.
You look a little thin to have been a player. Guess you didn’t keep working out.
I didn’t grow up near the ocean and was never into football so have no clue about your type.

You look a little thin to have been a player. Guess you didn’t keep working out.
I didn’t grow up near the ocean and was never into football so have no clue about your type.
What kind of a Texan are you, never into football!! ;)

Had a patient who claimed to be a center in college. Dude is like 5’8 maybe, less than 180. I am like, even I can probably push you around now.... that was quite a few years ago tho.

Sevo dude, I would fuhreaking love to live where you live. I am as green with envy as can be right now.

We are always hiring as we are growing exponentially.

Great location for those who understand the area and like the outdoors, good vaca package, fairly easy to make 500k (some make well into 600k), 1:6 weekends, all subspecialties, super fair. Reach out to me if interested.

Reactions: 3 users
... ohh and MD only (100k sign on bonus). ;)