occ med gig

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AndyDufrane

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, so I am looking into an occ med clinic hospital employed opportunity, one of their nonoperative orthopedic guys is transitioning out, and they are advertising for either physiatrist or nonoperative ortho, its part time gig, has anyone any input into doing something like this? thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

do you like occupational medicine? Do you do well with work comp insurance? Are you willin to do fitness for duties, and DOT exams? Are you willing to analyze hearing shifts to determine work relatedness (they rarely are), and read PFTs to determine respirator fit tests?
If the answer to these questions is "YES", then you too can run an occ med clinic. If the answer to any of these is "no" then run away as fast as you can, because either you will hate the work, or you will suck at it.

thanks for the insight, will get more details as far what the duty requirements are, when I was employed by another hospital system near by, this occ med clinic would refer EMGs, and spine cases to me, so I kind of know what types of patients they have, but not sure what types of ortho cases I would see there...

Members don't see this ad :)
Seeing acute MSK cases is easy. Look for "bad" stuff (fractures, massive instability, neurological compromise from HNP, etc) and then rest, and see back quickly (sometimes in 3 days).

Everyone goes back to work (with appropriate restrictions. Sedentary duty only if needed) unless there is a head injury.

It is the NON MSK cases that you need to know, because you haven't had formal training in it.

You need to know needlestick rules (hospital occ med clinics have a lot of them) for HIV/HepC and when to prophylax.

do you like occupational medicine? Do you do well with work comp insurance? Are you willin to do fitness for duties, and DOT exams? Are you willing to analyze hearing shifts to determine work relatedness (they rarely are), and read PFTs to determine respirator fit tests?
If the answer to these questions is "YES", then you too can run an occ med clinic. If the answer to any of these is "no" then run away as fast as you can, because either you will hate the work, or you will suck at it.

I don't think all that will be required. Sounds like there will probably be an Occ Med doctor there, and the Physiatrist/Non-Op Ortho is the consultant.

It will probably be the same patients they had been sending to the OP previously, plus shoulder impingement, tennis elbow, ankle sprain, thoracic strain, Carpal Tunnel with negative nerve conduction studies, etc.

Hi all, so I am looking into an occ med clinic hospital employed opportunity, one of their nonoperative orthopedic guys is transitioning out, and they are advertising for either physiatrist or nonoperative ortho, its part time gig, has anyone any input into doing something like this? thanks in advance

I would go for it provided the pay is satisfactory. Sounds like it will be an MSK job on fairly recent injuries. The affiliation will help you with work-comp insurance credentialing.

so I spoke to the doc that heads the occ med clinic, I would be an nonoperative orthopedic consultant, no DOT exam, no needle sticks, strictly MSK stuff, could do EMGs and peripheral joint injections, I don't have to manage fractures, and he said if i wanted to , might be opportunity to do lumbar spine injections as well, so I think this might worth looking into further,

so I spoke to the doc that heads the occ med clinic, I would be an nonoperative orthopedic consultant, no DOT exam, no needle sticks, strictly MSK stuff, could do EMGs and peripheral joint injections, I don't have to manage fractures, and he said if i wanted to , might be opportunity to do lumbar spine injections as well, so I think this might worth looking into further,
That would be an awesome gig if the price is right