Entrepreneurial Opportunities in PM&R

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FlamingFahad

Reaction score
What are some entrepreneurial opportunities specific to or better suited for general PM&R physicians? What about fellowship trained physicians?

Members don't see this ad.

Im finishing a PM&R rotation right now as a fourth year medical student and, to me, the entrepreneurial endeavors seem endless. One doctor I worked with manages a private practice wound care, prosthetics, and msk/pain clinic. One of the things that surprised me was that almost all the prosthetic follow ups were via telemedicine. Apparently most prosthetic visits are just checking in to make sure there isn’t a wound developing and making sure the prosthetic is comfortable. This can be done via telemedicine a lot of the time. This physiatrist’s next plan was to open another clinic that manages exclusively post stroke spasticity. He is a physician entrepreneur in every sense. He told me every day to find gaps in healthcare and become an expert in it. Here in NYC a lot of stroke patients have terrible spasticity and no one is managing it that well. He’s read a review article every day for the past 6 months and now he feels he can offer these patients something better. Rehab is so broad the niches you can carve out for yourself are basically limitless imo, so long as you develop a good reputation for yourself and surrounding doctors know what services you can offer their patients. I’m leaning towards psychiatry at this point, but I learned a lot about identifying lapses in patient care so that one day I too can use these gaps to offer something different and distinguish my practice.

Reactions: 2 users
I’m not sure what specifics you want. People comment all the time on here about different opportunities you can do in PM&R. I would check the forum as well.

You can open your own business with outpatient rehab services and outpatient clinic. Can hire some interventional spine and sports docs and be a comprehensive sports and spine and rehab center. Add some ortho docs, surgery suites etc. Lots of overhead and chance of failure. Lots of established competition. Search your market well.

You can do regenerative medicine. Offer injections for cash. You can do modalities, osteopathic manipulation, alternative med, etc. Can get ecsw therapy, laser therapy, etc.

Make a Botox clinic. Start a hospital. Get into SNF consults. Create a new inpatient rehab center. Create a hospital that integrates transitions between acute care, LTAC, IPR, SNF much better than we have currently. Write a book.

Reactions: 3 users