General Admissions & OTCAS Occupational Therapy School Ranking

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HenOT

5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I intend to apply to various occupational therapy schools very soon. I am curious if the ranking of the school has affects on my career in the future. I have the option of attending a low ranked school with minimal debt or a high ranked school with a lot of relative debt. May you please inform me whether school rank is worth it going forward. Should i choose the low ranked minimal debt school or the high ranked high school debt school? Thanks for your insight.

Members don't see this ad.

If you apply for a job and the manager wants to hire you he's not going to look at your school and say "oh this school is in the top 10% so I'll give her a 10% higher salary than this other student" ever. So in that sense, no it doesn't matter what school you go to. But in other domains it is beneficial to go to a better school. Cost-effectiveness should not be the only factor you look into when deciding on a school because this is a career you are committing your life to and if you truly want to be a successful clinician you must take your education seriously. I'm speaking very generally here because I don't know what schools you're referring to but the "better" school may have more full time faculty, care more about their students, put more effort into the development of our profession, and offer better resources for students (in terms of technology, libraries, etc). Also, more importantly, a better school may be able to set you up with better fieldwork experiences which might be how you end up getting a job offer in the first place. Again, none of these are definite factors, they might even be the exact opposite for the schools you're looking at, but they are just a few things to keep in mind.

My supervisor at a rehabilitation hospital said they do consider the school you went to, but not so much the ranking. They are looking for a school that involves both practical experience at school (OT lab, simulation practice, etc.) and good fieldwork experience. However, the school they think has the best program and will hire students from is Washington University St. Louis, which is ranked number one. So I think the rankings give you a little bit of an idea, but not completely accurate.