ochem and mcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

waarya

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, so this past summer, i decided to take the easy route at my school for ogranic chemistry and signed up for the 6 week course for ochem I. It was an easy A - however, it came at a consequence. Ochem II was not as easy...and my grade suffered. In addition, i don't seem to have a good grasp on o-chem for the mcat.

So i wanted to know, as far as the mcat is concerned, Is it possible to learn everything i need to know from a review book? Or would the review book expect some prior knowledge of the material? Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

o-chem has many layers. for many people, the light finally clicks off after enduring pain and confusion. i don't know if a review book can teach that.

MCAT is a thinking test. O-chem is a conceptual subject.

Both are perfect "reactants" for curveballs.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you know some of the basics, then get BR ochem and it can help you put it all together.....I really got Ochem after that.

Ochem was my weaker part in BS at the start but at the end of my practice it became my saving point on the real MCAT because I had a couple of those weird, hard passages that I must have bombed but I knew the ochem was right because it was pretty easy after BR.

Alright, so this past summer, i decided to take the easy route at my school for ogranic chemistry and signed up for the 6 week course for ochem I. It was an easy A - however, it came at a consequence. Ochem II was not as easy...and my grade suffered. In addition, i don't seem to have a good grasp on o-chem for the mcat.

So i wanted to know, as far as the mcat is concerned, Is it possible to learn everything i need to know from a review book? Or would the review book expect some prior knowledge of the material? Any suggestions?

I am retaking Orgo II right now, and just being in the class has been my BEST review for MCAT Orgo. I don't know that any review book compares to real-time instruction from a professor who DRILLS concepts like the electrophilicity of the carbonyl carbon into your head.

My two cents.