OChem, Biochem, and PChem

Started by GizmoDVM
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

GizmoDVM

Searching
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I'm new here, and I'm pretty sure some of you could help me out with this question that I'm having.

I have the choice of taking physical chemistry (for my major) either this spring or next fall. The problem is I have to take ochem I this spring and biochem I next fall. I don't know which would be better to take it with.

To give you a better idea the classes I'm definitely taking this spring are:
Organic I
Quantitative Analysis (Chem Lab)(2 lec, 4 lab hrs)
Genetics
Genetics Lab (3 lab hrs)

Next Fall:
Biochem I
Organic Chem Lab (not usually taken with orgo here for some reason, "synthesis lab" is usually taken with orgo II, which is how I'm taking it over the summer)(1 lec, 4 lab hrs)
Microbiology
Microbiology Lab (3 lab hrs)

So all I have to choose is which semester to take English and which semester to take PChem. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Also, last year I did better in the Spring semester (4.0 compared to 3.75) so maybe I do better in spring? Its hard to tell with only one year of college done...
 
To give you a better idea the classes I'm definitely taking this spring are:
Organic I
Quantitative Analysis (Chem Lab)(2 lec, 4 lab hrs)
Genetics
Genetics Lab (3 lab hrs)

Next Fall:
Biochem I
Organic Chem Lab (not usually taken with orgo here for some reason, "synthesis lab" is usually taken with orgo II, which is how I'm taking it over the summer)(1 lec, 4 lab hrs)
Microbiology
Microbiology Lab (3 lab hrs)
generally, my school adviser told me that anything above three science classes per semester is already a heavy workload. you mentioned that you already have one year under your belt, so are you a freshman? if so, take some classes that may balance your schedule out so you'll have plenty of time each semester to focus on each of those classes. i say if you have to do PChem to meet your graduation requirements, wait till you finish those 2 semesters you already have planned out.
if you can take a heavy science load, by all means dont let me talk you out of it. im currently taking biochem I, genetics + lab, and ecology and am somewhat having a difficult time. my biochem teacher is a nazi -_-. i dont know if this helped at all, but if you are only going on your second year, you'll have a lot of time to spread those classes out to ensure good results.
with all that said, good luck!
 
yea i agree, can you specify your year? If you are only a soph i would say dont do more than 3 sci courses per semester

Its hard to pick between the semesters, it realy depends on the person. I was great at ochem so i would take another sci with ochem. and i was bad in bchm so i wouldnt add more sci onto that. but its totally a personal decision. AND its not like i knew ahead of time what i would be good/bad at. So im not even sure you could make this decision knowing it would be right until after you've taken the subjects. Plus, the prof makes a HUGE diff and its hard to predict if your prof will be good.

guess you have to delay it to jr yr (if ur young)... or take a chance and pick randomly
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'd do it for Biochem instead of Ochem. Ochem has a lab, Biochem generally doesn't. My Ochem lab was a huge time sink of at least 6 hours a week and I know Pchem is also a big time sink as well (probably has a lab too?). But if possible, I wouldn't couple it with anything. Heard Pchem is a bitch.

Although it looks like your Spring semester is easier overall than your fall.
 
I'm currently a sophomore, and I'm trying to see if I can work out having physical chemistry moved to even next spring, which is the latest I can take it due to prereq issues. I'm a biochem major, so its a prereq for a couple of courses senior year. The only problem is that next spring is biochem II, which has a 6 hour lab. I could potentially work it out so that those are the only science courses I was taking that semester. Its so confusing working around all the biology classes I need that are only offered in the fall OR the spring, and not both (microbio, animal phys, immunology (not a prereq, but cool!)).

I agree that tackling four sciences would be very difficult, but if it turns out to be inevitable, which would you have chosen?
 
if it is inevitable, i would recommend you take pchem in the fall even though it seems you may have a heavier load that semester. micro is very doable and just pray for a good biochem instructor. you wanna get a feel for how a heavy load of science classes will be. i understand that pchem may be a prereq for other classes, but it may be best if you take it with a lighter load, even if it means spending an extra semester in school. i just hear bad things about that class, but that's from my poor chemistry department haha. best of luck to you.
 
Whatever you do, I'd suggest taking O-chem before biochem. I found O-chem very useful in my biochem class.