Ochem in the summer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ohiostatedoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok I know there is alot of you applying and having to go through that stress so I wish everyone well.

I am going through a whole summer Ochem course at a different institution from my own and it covers everything. However it is a semesterly course whereas my homeschool is quarterly. If I get, lets say a B in these semesterly course(2 semesters) how badly could it affect my quarterly gpa or when I enter everything into AMCAS.

I would appreciate any help.

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure what you are asking...your quarter hours will be converted to semester hours by AMCAS (at least I think this is what happens)...ultimately, all of your quarter and semester hour courses have to be converted to the same "quality points" so that your GPA is standardized...the bottom line is that an "A" is an "A" and so forth...

Members don't see this ad :)
You seriously bumped your message about 40 minutes after posting on a sunday morning? Gotta give time for people to answer man!

In response to your question, I'm not sure how they would handle it. I'm sure there is some standardization because schools do so much different stuff. I really wouldn't worry about it... Just do well. Schools aren't stupid, they can see that you do quarters and it was a semester gig there.

Personally, I wonder how schools such as New College in Florida handle stuff considering they don't give grades. Anyone on here go to New College? How the hell do you do stuff? :p

I kind of grew impatient sorry about that....but the thing is I got a freakin 78 on my first exam and I thought I knew everything for it, I don't understand what I'm doing wrong.

Anyways, how would you suggest doing well in this really fast paced course?

I kind of grew impatient sorry about that....but the thing is I got a freakin 78 on my first exam and I thought I knew everything for it, I don't understand what I'm doing wrong.

I just finished taking ochem I and I start ochem II on Monday. At my university the summer course is only 4 weeks long each. I think I did pretty well in orgo I. I would suggest getting David Klein's "Organic Chemistry as as Second language" They have it for both first and second semesters.

How I did well was I eat, lived, and breathe orgo every single day. After class I would go to the library and study for like 5 hours, and then go home and study for about another 4... and thats if I didn't have a quiz or an exam.

You just have to get constant exposure to the topic and keep reviewing the key concepts. If you do that you should be fine. The reason why I study so much is because I know it takes me a while to get something and I have to keep pounding it in my head in order for it to stick. So you just have to find which study method works best for you. I would definently get those books though.

Good Luck

Organic is rough, especially over the summer. I bombed my first test as well and managed A's in 1 and a B+ in 2.

It's tough to do when you are still learning the fundamentals, but once you get into different reactions, try to think of it like chess. Assign each molecule "type" (ether, amide, alchohol) some sort of "value" and then put them against each other.

The visuals of these little molecules moving around a chess board really helped me to see things and understand the mechanisms. Remember - Organic 1 is the important one for the MCAT! I saw *zero* stuff from organic 2 on the MCAT that wasn't also in biochem or another bio class.

Go back and make sure you understand the fundamentals of each test before moving on to the next - organic builds on itself.

As to the semister/quarter - just make sure you send a second set of transcripts and AMCAS will sort it out.

I just finished orgo 2..at a different institution than where I had orgo 1...and it was something of a nightmare, but I really feel like I learned a lot more in the condensed summer and remember it better, so I would probably do it again. I also bombed the first exam but think I ended up doing well because I went back through organic chem for dummies & organic chemistry as a second language, 2 books I highly recommend, and taught everything I hadn't learned to myself. Organic chem in the summer isn't as bad as everyone makes it to be. Not easy whatsoever, but doable. Like another poster said, live eat and breathe organic. I seriously would dream about it. Make a mechanism notebook, notecards, do all the homework & you'll be fine.:)

As for your gpa dilemma, I have no idea.

Ochem is one of those courses that has nothing to do with your intelligence, in my opinion. Go back to your first exam and see what type of questions are asked and why you missed some of those questions.

Once you identify the type of questions being asked, drill on doing as many similar problems as you can get your hands on. You can go to library and borrow a couple of different textbooks. Mark the problems you have any difficulty on your first try, go back and repeat until you can draw those reactions/synthesis in your sleep.
I would also agree with above posters who "eat, live, breathe" orgo every day.

I don't consider myself a bright/intelligence person but I am a strong believer of hard work and discipline. I was once in your shoes in one of the chem classes many years ago. I really busted my rear end after the first exam and I not only got a perfect score on the second exam but I was able to finish the exam in 30 min. with another 45 min. to spare.

Good luck :luck:

I feel for you man; that sounds like me the first time i took it. I got a freaken 76 on my first exam and thought i knew everything; i should have gotten a 95. :( I ended up with a D+ in the course and therefore i am now retaking it in summer school. I can happily say right now I have a 100 average. It only took a professor who could actually teach for me to get it. The class average was a 60 on the first exam so i'm happy and I'm waiting for my second exam back now. I thought it went pretty well but I'm really nervous about my final this week.:scared: Then onto ochem 2.

Good luck; just keep at it. At least the summer doesn't give you much time to forget.