ochem lab requirement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

missbones

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
my college offers ochem I and ochem II and then a separate lab for ochem II but no ochem I lab.

Is this gonna fly? I'm a CA resident and what I've read shows that most places require 2 years of chem including gen/org with lab. I'm assuming they want 2 years of lab as well?

Members don't see this ad.

my college offers ochem I and ochem II and then a separate lab for ochem II but no ochem I lab.

Is this gonna fly? I'm a CA resident and what I've read shows that most places require 2 years of chem including gen/org with lab. I'm assuming they want 2 years of lab as well?

Is the lab a 2 credit class, my school in NC does this. The classes are 3 credits each and the lab is completly separate from the class. Most times a complete different professor..

Hope this helps

its a 3 unit lab, but its only 1 semester. and you have to take ochem II concurrently

its a 3 unit lab, but its only 1 semester. and you have to take ochem II concurrently

This is quite common. Many schools offer only 1 semester of ochem lab, but usually award more than one credit for the course. Many schools are aware of this and don't question it. I took a 1 sem lab worth 2 credits, as I am sure many other medical students have, and made it in just fine.

-senior med student / admissions committee interviewer