Ochem labs prereqs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soby10

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many ochem labs do you need as prereqs for medschool? I already have 1 lab class done and was going to take the 2nd lab but if it's not needed I won't take it.

I read somewhere that a year of ochem w/ lab is the general prereq. But is that a year of lec and a year of lab or just a year of lec w/ 1 lab?

Btw my school is on a quarter system, so far i have 15 credits of lec and 3 credits of lab and if i add the 2nd lab it will take me to 6 credits of lab.

Members don't see this ad.

You're going to need 1 year of lecture + 1 year of lab for nearly all schools. Some schools will let you slide by with Ochem 1 + Biochem 1, but in those cases, you might have to take Biochem Lab to make up the hours.

Basically what I'm saying is that you should take Ochem II lab. Almost everywhere requires it and it's just part of the "standard" pre med curriculum/pre reqs, even if you do find an exception or two.

Basically what I'm saying is that you should take Ochem II lab. Almost everywhere requires it and it's just part of the "standard" pre med curriculum/pre reqs, even if you do find an exception or two.

My school offers two ochem lectures and one ochem lab, but I also took Biochem after finishing ochem. What if my school doesn't have an ochem lab II? How will that be weighed for the DO schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
My school offers two ochem lectures and one ochem lab, but I also took Biochem after finishing ochem. What if my school doesn't have an ochem lab II? How will that be weighed for the DO schools?

If your school is on the SEMESTER system, was the lab worth 2 credit hours or just 1?

It's semesters, and the lab was worth 3 credits. (Everything is either 3 or 4, 4 being the lab-integrated courses).

It's semesters, and the lab was worth 3 credits. (Everything is either 3 or 4, 4 being the lab-integrated courses).

So you have 9 total hours of Ochem? (Ochem I, 3; Ochem II, 3; Ochem Lab, 3)

If so, you're golden. Just call the course "Ochem Lab I and II" or something like that.

I contacted a few schools (TUNCOM-NV, KCUMB-COM, AZCOM, KCOM replied back ) and they told me 8 semester hours of ochem w/ a lab which matches w/ the 2010 CIB. That translates to 12 quarter hours w/ a lab. It seems like labs are included in the total 8 semester hours of ochem. So it's a year of ochem w/ a lab not a 1 year of lab and 1 year of lec. So looks like i'm done w/ ochem labs (;