Ochem over the summer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chris127

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As of the moment, I have scheduled Ochem and a lab this summer. Ochem is 9:50 - 10:50 everyday, and my lab is 11 - 2 on T/TH.

Does anyone see a problem with this? I know Orgo is alot of material. But at the moment, my GPA isnt what it could be, and I would rather take Orgo with this schedule rather than in the fall with 5 extra courses. Good idea?

Members don't see this ad.

I think its great to take it over the summer..its a lot of work but take it alone...and how about you take just the class and take the lab during the regular semester or vice versa.................

Psychoanalyzed said:
I think its great to take it over the summer..its a lot of work but take it alone...and how about you take just the class and take the lab during the regular semester or vice versa.................

Well, I dont know if this is at every school or just mine, but labs are nearly impossible to get into. I got so lucky with this lab, and I would really rather not give it up. There are two summer "sessions" though. Would you advise I take Orgo one session and 2-3 labs the other?

(keep in mind these are still basic chem labs, no cell bio labs or anything)

Members don't see this ad :)
Chris127 said:
As of the moment, I have scheduled Ochem and a lab this summer. Ochem is 9:50 - 10:50 everyday, and my lab is 11 - 2 on T/TH.

Does anyone see a problem with this? I know Orgo is alot of material. But at the moment, my GPA isnt what it could be, and I would rather take Orgo with this schedule rather than in the fall with 5 extra courses. Good idea?

This is exactly what I did the summer after my soph year. Loved it (well as much as you can love anything orgo-related :p )

I'm taking mine over the summer too, just wanna get done with orgo once and for all! My gpa as it stands right now really worries me though.

As a person currently taking Org. I w/lab while also working a full time 'real" job, I would recommend taking it this summer with that schedule, especially if you can take 2-3 hours a day to read and do problems..you will likely do better. My biggest problem is that things have been a little too spread out, and with work and evening lab 2 times a week, it's been easy to get behind. If you are forced to keep up because you have class pretty much every day, I would think this is a good thing, especially if you have time to study every day...To me, it would be worth that 6-8 weeks of hell.

I took Orgo II and the lab together over the summer (lecture 9-12, lab 1-5) for 6 weeks. I ended up getting strep throat 3 times during the class. Z-pak would kill most of the infection, but the rest that lingered would come back full-force within a couple days. Even though I begged Student Health for something different, they kept giving me Z-pak (which I usually love). Anyway, I ended up with a C+ in the class and wish I would have taken it during the school year. Try to stay healthy during the class, though, and you should be fine!

Chris127 said:

I took O-chem I, II and lab over the summer for my pre-med requirements. Looks like you have an easy schedule. We were 8-12 M-F. Lab was 8-3 M-F (but only for 3 weeks). I liked it a lot better than taking full semesters...I was able to focus on ONE subject, and I did quite well.