Ochem Question help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
R

Rook

Which statement CORRECTLY explains the following acid-base reaction at equilibrium?
CH3H2C:- + HOC(CH3)3 <==> CH3CH3 + -:Ö:C(CH3)3

A. Weaker acid, HOC(CH3)3, and weaker base, CH3H2C:-, will be present in abundance.
B. Stronger acid, HOC(CH3)3, and stronger base, CH3H2C:-, will be present in abundance.
C. Weaker acid, CH3CH3, and stronger base, -:Ö:C(CH3)3, will be present in abundance.
D. Stronger acid, CH3CH3, and weaker base, -:Ö:C(CH3)3, will be present in abundance.
E. Weaker acid, CH3CH3, and weaker base, -:Ö:C(CH3)3, will be present in abundance.

Could somone Please explain this to me! Thanks!
Sorry for all the questions but DAT is coming up!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Rook said:
Which statement CORRECTLY explains the following acid-base reaction at equilibrium?
CH3H2C:- + HOC(CH3)3 <==> CH3CH3 + -:Ö:C(CH3)3

A. Weaker acid, HOC(CH3)3, and weaker base, CH3H2C:-, will be present in abundance.
B. Stronger acid, HOC(CH3)3, and stronger base, CH3H2C:-, will be present in abundance.
C. Weaker acid, CH3CH3, and stronger base, -:Ö:C(CH3)3, will be present in abundance.
D. Stronger acid, CH3CH3, and weaker base, -:Ö:C(CH3)3, will be present in abundance.
E. Weaker acid, CH3CH3, and weaker base, -:Ö:C(CH3)3, will be present in abundance.

Could somone Please explain this to me! Thanks!
Sorry for all the questions but DAT is coming up!!!

The answer is E because the reactants are very strong, (strong acid + strong base). So the reaction tends to move to the left. The only way to keep it in equilibrium is to get more of the products (weak acid + weak base). They need to be present in abundance. Hope that makes sense. :)
When are you taking your DAT by the way?

Gasedo said:
The answer is E because the reactants are very strong, (strong acid + strong base). So the reaction tends to move to the left. The only way to keep it in equilibrium is to get more of the products (weak acid + weak base). They need to be present in abundance. Hope that makes sense. :)
When are you taking your DAT by the way?

Hey Gasedo,
Actually One week before you take yours :p !! Wish me luck ;)
About the Ochem..
I can understand how CH3H2C:- is a strong Base but how is
HOC(CH3)3 a strong acid? I thought that its conjugate -OC(CH3)3
is a strong Base and thus its conjugate a weak acid. Make sense? If you could clarify I would really appreciate it! THank u for being such a big help!!! :thumbup:

Rook said:
Hey Gasedo,
About the Ochem..
HOC(CH3)3 a strong acid?

who said HOC(CH3)3 is a very strong acid????!!!
Be careful, the question uses relative terms "weaker & "stronger"

tert-butoxide is a strong bulky base. CH2H2C:- is also pretty strong. CH2H2C:- is a stronger base.

The pKa of an alkane is ~ 60 (not a very strong acid)
The pKa of an alcohol is ~ 16 (not a very strong acid but stronger than alkanes)
So CH2CH3 is the weaker acid.

Members don't see this ad :)
dat_student said:

tert-butoxide is a strong bulky base. CH2H2C:- is also pretty strong. CH2H2C:- is a stronger base.

The pKa of an alcohol is ~ 16 (not a very strong acid but stronger than alkanes)

u go dat student!

dat_student said:

:idea: Ooh!!
So, CH2CH3 is the weaker acid than the alcohol, and -:Ö:C(CH3)3 is a weaker base than CH2H2C:- !!!
That makes much more sense! :thumbup:
THANKS DAT STUDENT!!

Rook said:
Hey Gasedo,
About the Ochem..
HOC(CH3)3 a strong acid? I thought that its conjugate -OC(CH3)3
is a strong Base and thus its conjugate a weak acid. Make sense? If you could clarify I would really appreciate it! THank u for being such a big help!!! :thumbup:

Yes, DAT student is right , a stronger acid not a very strong one. But the first thing to realize is that the products are weak acid + weak base. It insn't that important how strong are the reactants. If you can determine strong left, weak right, the only correct choice remains E because you need to get a large quantity of the products in order to obtain the equilibrium
Hey Rook good luck on your DAT. So are you going to take it this tuesday?
Good luck!!! :luck: :luck:

Gasedo said:
Yes, DAT student is right , a stronger acid not a very strong one. But the first thing to realize is that the products are weak acid + weak base. It insn't that important how strong are the reactants. If you can determine strong left, weak right, the only correct choice remains E because you need to get a large quantity of the products in order to obtain the equilibrium
Hey Rook good luck on your DAT. So are you going to take it this tuesday?
Good luck!!! :luck: :luck:
:p yes! Thank you so much!!