OChem question

Started by feileung
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

feileung

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know if 5-Fluorouracil ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5-fluorouracil ) is an Acyl Halide? Can you name any other functional groups present in this molecule?

I guess I'm not clear about the definition of Acyl Halide. I'm not sure if 5-Fluorouracil qualifies due to it's ring form.

Thanks🙂
 
Correct me if I am wrong...acyl halides are carbonyls with a halide in the alpha position. If so...your example would not be an acyl halide.
 
Fluorine would be a functional group in this case, eh? If so, would you categorize it as a halide?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know if 5-Fluorouracil ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5-fluorouracil ) is an Acyl Halide? Can you name any other functional groups present in this molecule?

I guess I'm not clear about the definition of Acyl Halide. I'm not sure if 5-Fluorouracil qualifies due to it's ring form.

Thanks🙂

Acyl halide is RCOX. RCO- group in acyl halide is acyl group and the -X radical is halide part. An example of an acyl halide would be acetyl chloride CH3COCl.

I don't think that Fluorouracil is an Acyl Halide because the halide (F) isn't bonded to the alpha carbon.

For functional groups, there is a fluoro group, obviously a pyrimidine ring, it looks like the carbonyls here aren't amides but rather just -ones so you would say -dione in the chemical name (on the right side of the screen).

Hope this helps!
 
Yes, that helps a lot. Thanks to both of you!

I was unclear on the definition of Functional Group. I was thinking that it needed to be a constituent off of the main chain and that confused me when the ring was involved. But I guess the ring itself can be a functional group? I was focusing on the Fluorine but I wasn't totally sure that lone halides could be considered functional groups. It makes sense that they can be though.

Thanks again!
 
Yes, that helps a lot. Thanks to both of you!

I was unclear on the definition of Functional Group. I was thinking that it needed to be a constituent off of the main chain and that confused me when the ring was involved. But I guess the ring itself can be a functional group? I was focusing on the Fluorine but I wasn't totally sure that lone halides could be considered functional groups. It makes sense that they can be though.

Thanks again!

Yep, a ring is considered its own functional group.