OChem question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

feileung

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if 5-Fluorouracil ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5-fluorouracil ) is an Acyl Halide? Can you name any other functional groups present in this molecule?

I guess I'm not clear about the definition of Acyl Halide. I'm not sure if 5-Fluorouracil qualifies due to it's ring form.

Members don't see this ad.

Correct me if I am wrong...acyl halides are carbonyls with a halide in the alpha position. If so...your example would not be an acyl halide.

Fluorine would be a functional group in this case, eh? If so, would you categorize it as a halide?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if 5-Fluorouracil ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5-fluorouracil ) is an Acyl Halide? Can you name any other functional groups present in this molecule?

I guess I'm not clear about the definition of Acyl Halide. I'm not sure if 5-Fluorouracil qualifies due to it's ring form.

Acyl halide is RCOX. RCO- group in acyl halide is acyl group and the -X radical is halide part. An example of an acyl halide would be acetyl chloride CH3COCl.

I don't think that Fluorouracil is an Acyl Halide because the halide (F) isn't bonded to the alpha carbon.

For functional groups, there is a fluoro group, obviously a pyrimidine ring, it looks like the carbonyls here aren't amides but rather just -ones so you would say -dione in the chemical name (on the right side of the screen).

Hope this helps!

Yes, that helps a lot. Thanks to both of you!

I was unclear on the definition of Functional Group. I was thinking that it needed to be a constituent off of the main chain and that confused me when the ring was involved. But I guess the ring itself can be a functional group? I was focusing on the Fluorine but I wasn't totally sure that lone halides could be considered functional groups. It makes sense that they can be though.

Thanks again!

Yes, that helps a lot. Thanks to both of you!

I was unclear on the definition of Functional Group. I was thinking that it needed to be a constituent off of the main chain and that confused me when the ring was involved. But I guess the ring itself can be a functional group? I was focusing on the Fluorine but I wasn't totally sure that lone halides could be considered functional groups. It makes sense that they can be though.

Thanks again!

Yep, a ring is considered its own functional group.