Ochsner Cardiology fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AnonymousOne

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am also curious to hear about the impressions people had about Ochsner. I was reading on a prior post that it has a malignant cath lab, what does that mean? Would appreciate people's insight in this program

Members don't see this ad.

My impression is that the program is somewhat malignant. My empirical evidence comes from the program not matching 50% of its position last match (ie 4/8). I also got a secondhand info that the chief Dr. Chris White is very hard on fellows. Again, take my words with a grain of salt.

Busy fellowship.

Last edited:
I am also curious to hear about the impressions people had about Ochsner. I was reading on a prior post that it has a malignant cath lab, what does that mean? Would appreciate people's insight in this program

Interviewed at Oschsner for fellowship and while they offer a lot and are very strong in cardiology, it definitely seemed malignant. I ranked it in the middle because I felt that New Orleans would be fun and that when finished training here I would definitely be strong. But one of the fellows was very honest with me and said that many attendings, especially interventional, teach by intimidation. You also act like a resident while on their heart failure service (i.e. pre-round, write progress notes, do admissions etc.) and they have open CCU so you have to continue to manage your patients when they go to the unit (write notes, do all their procedures etc). But in general they are a very cardiology-run hospital and I think you would definitely be well trained coming out of the program. Depends on whether or not you mind some of the other stuff.