Ochsner here I came!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ochsner Love!

• Hell Yeah

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • Nah, this is why....

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters

todo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here I *come* (damn autocomplete)...

Excited to start rounding in New Orleans. The Ochsner facilities look great.
Would love to hear some feed-back from those there and those that have rotated.

ta :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Nice post. Lets hear more.....

The "Should I Wear Bright Clothing on Ward Rounds" thread has more action than this. :sleep: SDN'ers love their fashion more?

Sound off!

Members don't see this ad :)
The "Should I Wear Bright Clothing on Ward Rounds" thread has more action than this. :sleep: SDN'ers love their fashion more?

Sound off!

Perrotfish pretty much hit the nail on the head. I can say that they tend to give you better grades than most of the other hospitals though b/c of their general lack of student exposure perrotfish touched on.

I did have a friend who just did a surgery rotation there who said he was working 16 hour days for two weeks straight and hated his life. That may be an isolated case though.

Perrotfish pretty much hit the nail on the head. I can say that they tend to give you better grades than most of the other hospitals though b/c of their general lack of student exposure perrotfish touched on.
I had the opposite experience. I felt like it was impossible to honor, because no one ever sees you work. How do you honor standing in a corner?

did have a friend who just did a surgery rotation there who said he was working 16 hour days for two weeks straight and hated his life. That may be an isolated case though.

It's isolated if he didn't get weekends. If he did, as much as 16 hour days for 5 days sucks, that's pretty good hours for surgery.

I had the opposite experience. I felt like it was impossible to honor, because no one ever sees you work. How do you honor standing in a corner?

It's isolated if he didn't get weekends. If he did, as much as 16 hour days for 5 days sucks, that's pretty good hours for surgery.

Fair enough on the grading, I guess it's probably highly dependent on your attendings. You have done more rotations there so i will default to your experience. As for the surgery rotation, he said he worked 14 straight days. Though to be fair, this kid does have a tendancy to blow things out of proportion.

Back to the OP, why are you choosing to rotate at Ochsner?

Back to the OP, why are you choosing to rotate at Ochsner?

Mainly because I have professional ties with some of the physicians there. I'm interested in contributing to medicine for under-privileged groups and there's a few programs some of the doc are budding right now. I also love New Orleans.

Thank you for your input thus far - and if other have more to add, please do.

Not sure how to remedy 'standing in the corner' all day. Is there really nothing you can do to butt your way into a procedure, manage a patient, etc?

Rumors (well, actually now legitimate news sources) have that Ochsner is also buying out Tulane Hospital as well. Seems like they just keep growing. Tulane has been in the red for a while now so hopefully it will be a rejuvenation for them as well. Either way, I believe it's a valiant step for Ochsner and will only make their training programs stronger.