1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Ochsner here I came!

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by todo, Jul 28, 2011.

?

Ochsner Love!

1. Hell Yeah

5 vote(s)
    62.5%
  2. Nah, this is why....

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  1. todo

7+ Year Member

Here I *come* (damn autocomplete)...

Excited to start rounding in New Orleans. The Ochsner facilities look great.
    Would love to hear some feed-back from those there and those that have rotated.

ta :)

#1 todo, Jul 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Perrotfish

Perrotfish Has an MD in Horribleness
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Rotated through this hospital for part of three different core rotations with Tulane.

The bad:

1) This hospital is EXTREMELY hands off. You aren't really allowed to do very much. No procedures, no prerounding on any rotation I've ever done there, your notes often don't go in the chart and are never read, etc. On bad days it feels more like shadowing than medical school.

2) The patients, from a learning perspective, suck. Ochsner is a tertiary private medical center, which means they only really take patients with good insurance and relatively simple pathology. On surgery I saw basically the same gallbladder surgery 40+ times. On medicine there was a lot of elderly UTIs and pneumonias. The kind of massively comorbid paitents that make the best teaching cases are sort of rare.

3) The teaching, outside of a few lectures, just isn't that good. A lot of attendings who aren't directly involved with the academic side of Ochsner just don't seem to know what to do with medical students, or how to round with them.

4) Ochsner priorities: Money first, attendings second, residents third, and students aren't on the list.

The good:

1) The facilities are good. You'll never have any problems finding a computer, the study space is great, there's a good employee gym, they have the best hospital food I've ever had, there's free coffee on every floor and a good chance you can grab a free lunch at least three times a week if your keep your eyes open. The hospital was so nice at the end of the day I would normally stay there to study.

2) The nursing staff really handles the scut, so you don't have to. Orders get done, consults get called, the vitals are actually charted in th morning, and lab results actually come in without you harassing anyone.

3) The residents and attendings are mostly nice. I've never been yelled at, treated like a subordinate, etc. The worst thing that will ever happen is that they won't speak to you.

4) The hours ranged from very good to amazing. No call, every weekend off, and I was often sent home early. My record was one day on Ob/Gyn that started at 7:30 and ended at 8:00 the same day.

Advice:

1) Study very hard, and bring textbooks with you every day for down time. Ochsner exposes you to a very small range of pathology, has a variable quality of teaching, and doesn't give you much of a chance to play doctor. You're going to need to make up for a lot of clinical experience with book learning. On the up side they have amazing study facilities and really give you the time to hit the books. Come up with an agressive study regimine and you might walk out of an Ochsner rotation with as much knowledge as anyone. This is the kind of hospital where it's reasonable to get though, for example, the MKSAP, Case files, Lange, Pestana, and Uworld all in the same 8 week Surgery rotation. On a normal Tulane surgery rotation you're lucky to have enough free time to eat twice a day.

2) Be agressive about your managing your patients. They're not reading the notes you put in the chart, so you need to force your way into the coversation with the attending during rounds and ask the resident, over and over, what you can do to help. As a bonus this is also a key strategy for getting the amazing hours I mentioned: if you don't say anything the residents will forget about you and leave you against the wall until they go home. If you keep asking to help, and there's nothing to do, they'll probably send you to study to shut you up.

3) Run screaming from the OR: I'm not saying the OR was my favorite place anywhere, but at this hospital you really aren't allowed to do ANYTHING. Silent surgeons, the same operation over and over, and you'd be extremely luck to close skin. If there's floor work to do always volunteer to do it. If you do find a surgeon/OB who teaches in the OR (I only met one, on OB) scrub with that person every chance you get.

4) Have a good attitude, and make friends with the residents. Not bad advice anywhere, but especially vital at Ochsner where there's not much else to evaluate you on.

Anyway, those are my opinons. I'm sure many others disagree.

#2 Perrotfish, Jul 29, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
    Maruko likes this.
  4. todo

7+ Year Member

Nice post. Lets hear more.....

5. todo

7+ Year Member

The "Should I Wear Bright Clothing on Ward Rounds" thread has more action than this. :sleep: SDN'ers love their fashion more?

Sound off!

6. genswim24

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Perrotfish pretty much hit the nail on the head. I can say that they tend to give you better grades than most of the other hospitals though b/c of their general lack of student exposure perrotfish touched on.

I did have a friend who just did a surgery rotation there who said he was working 16 hour days for two weeks straight and hated his life. That may be an isolated case though.

7. Perrotfish

Perrotfish Has an MD in Horribleness
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I had the opposite experience. I felt like it was impossible to honor, because no one ever sees you work. How do you honor standing in a corner?

It's isolated if he didn't get weekends. If he did, as much as 16 hour days for 5 days sucks, that's pretty good hours for surgery.

8. genswim24

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]

Fair enough on the grading, I guess it's probably highly dependent on your attendings. You have done more rotations there so i will default to your experience. As for the surgery rotation, he said he worked 14 straight days. Though to be fair, this kid does have a tendancy to blow things out of proportion.

Back to the OP, why are you choosing to rotate at Ochsner?

9. todo

7+ Year Member

Mainly because I have professional ties with some of the physicians there. I'm interested in contributing to medicine for under-privileged groups and there's a few programs some of the doc are budding right now. I also love New Orleans.

Thank you for your input thus far - and if other have more to add, please do.

Not sure how to remedy 'standing in the corner' all day. Is there really nothing you can do to butt your way into a procedure, manage a patient, etc?

10. todo

7+ Year Member

Rumors (well, actually now legitimate news sources) have that Ochsner is also buying out Tulane Hospital as well. Seems like they just keep growing. Tulane has been in the red for a while now so hopefully it will be a rejuvenation for them as well. Either way, I believe it's a valiant step for Ochsner and will only make their training programs stronger.