Oct CPJE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pharmca24

Reaction score
Anyone planning to take their exams this month? And when do you think the next pre-date will be?

Members don't see this ad.

I think it'll probably be sometime early November. I took the exam on Oct 8. I finished with about 25 minutes left to spare. For me, you either knew the drug questions or didn't based on if you were familiar with the brand name (and there were a couple of uncommon brand names I have never laid eyes on before). There were also a number of questions that asked what the next best step would be given a situation. Honestly, I still can't find the answers to some of them. Overall, I really hope I don't have to retake it, and I wish you all the best on your upcoming exam.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm planning on retaking CPJE maybe Nov 2nd, from previous exams, I think predate would be within the first week of NOV.

I think it'll probably be sometime early November. I took the exam on Oct 8. I finished with about 25 minutes left to spare. For me, you either knew the drug questions or didn't based on if you were familiar with the brand name (and there were a couple of uncommon brand names I have never laid eyes on before). There were also a number of questions that asked what the next best step would be given a situation. Honestly, I still can't find the answers to some of them. Overall, I really hope I don't have to retake it, and I wish you all the best on your upcoming exam.

Would you recommend any particular chapters to study for !? Thank you!

Has anyone bothered searching themselves on the board website to see if you are licensed? I have been searching myself everyday and I'm kind of freaking out because I'm not on there. The test was rough, it had way too many hospital related questions which I didn't really know and was 50/50 on like the first 30 questions on that test. Do you guys think the results will be released sometime this week?

Has anyone bothered searching themselves on the board website to see if you are licensed? I have been searching myself everyday and I'm kind of freaking out because I'm not on there. The test was rough, it had way too many hospital related questions which I didn't really know and was 50/50 on like the first 30 questions on that test. Do you guys think the results will be released sometime this week?

Wow when did you take the exam?

For hospital questions. Was it more about the quality assurance relating to it?
I recall questions that I have never heard of and looked up after and still can't come up with the correct answer. Honestly I've taken MPJE and Naplex and passed both but the CPJE was a completely different beast. I felt very prepared but it felt like I got punched in the guts after I was done with that test. I had like first 30-40 questions where I was like 50/50 or had questionable answers on. The last 50 I felt pretty ok about but now that I think about it I might have gotten few wrong in those too. Honestly there is no easy way to study for this test, I did rxprep and its practice tests which I got 70-90 on the tests and studied weissman 3 times and did practice questions on that yet still didn't feel prepared for some of the law and medical questions. They combine both law and medical questions into one and it makes it very hard to discern what they are asking or looking for. Also, know dosing because they ask questions like this patient is diabetic and placed on this drug and these 10 drugs, and then they ask if there are any medical interactions and what dose simvastatin would you start or which if dose of a medication need to be adjusted or should it all remain the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
I recall questions that I have never heard of and looked up after and still can't come up with the correct answer. Honestly I've taken MPJE and Naplex and passed both but the CPJE was a completely different beast. I felt very prepared but it felt like I got punched in the guts after I was done with that test. I had like first 30-40 questions where I was like 50/50 or had questionable answers on. The last 50 I felt pretty ok about but now that I think about it I might have gotten few wrong in those too. Honestly there is no easy way to study for this test, I did rxprep and its practice tests which I got 70-90 on the tests and studied weissman 3 times and did practice questions on that yet still didn't feel prepared for some of the law and medical questions. They combine both law and medical questions into one and it makes it very hard to discern what they are asking or looking for. Also, know dosing because they ask questions like this patient is diabetic and placed on this drug and these 10 drugs, and then they ask if there are any medical interactions and what dose simvastatin would you start or which if dose of a medication need to be adjusted or should it all remain the same.

For the clinical part, would you say the big chp would be our main focus? Like I haven’t put any time in oncology, critical care and renal chp.

For the clinical part, would you say the big chp would be our main focus? Like I haven’t put any time in oncology, critical care and renal chp.
You will definitely have cancer questions, I would study that and know the drugs. I had couple cancer questions and I know people that say they had couple as well, I did have few renal like calculating and making sure a medication is fine for patients with renal issues. You will have electrolyte questions too but kind of basic not very detailed if I recall. I'll be honest with you I would study everything on Rxprep not just focus main chapters, because i had only like 3-4 questions from HTN,cholesterol, and heart related chapters. I had questions from skin stuff and obviously knowing OTC products and steriods. I had drugs I have near heard of until I took that test or brand names I never remembered and heard of and they were for conditions that aren't even 1 paragraph in the rxprep book. I wouldn't focus on specific chapters because you are going to get questions so out of the ball park that you won't even be able to get an educated guess if you just focus the main stuff. My advice is just familiarize yourself with the drugs even if you don't remember the specifics, because you might be able to differentiate the other drugs in the question and if you know what that specific condition it is being used for you can get an educated guess. Don't just focus regular stuff because this isn't like the naplex which were just straight forward drug questions like what does this drug do. This test pretty much asks about every available condition and side effect so its good to at least know the name of the drug then you might be able to recall what its used for. Oh yeah know seizure medications and their lab values and what can occur if too low or high.

Members don't see this ad :)

For these hospital question would reading the rxprep chp I’m sterile and non sterile compounding sufficient or did you read the compounding assessment too?

You're wasting your time. Passing the test won't cause you to get automatically licensed. The only way to know is through the letter in the mail. If you passed the naplex already your letter will also include an application for your license which you have to then mail to the board with $$$$$$$.

You're wasting your time. Passing the test won't cause you to get automatically licensed. The only way to know is through the letter in the mail. If you passed the naplex already your letter will also include an application for your license which you have to then mail to the board with $$$$$$$.
that's good to know thanks, because I figured it was like the other states where it showed you on their website.

For these hospital question would reading the rxprep chp I’m sterile and non sterile compounding sufficient or did you read the compounding assessment too?
Honestly that might help but I didn't really look into that too much since I was short on time and studied the brand and generic names. There is a weird quizlet for CPJE that has like 1300 items in it. Contains no details but has like drug names and some other stuff, good for last few days review.

Honestly that might help but I didn't really look into that too much since I was short on time and studied the brand and generic names. There is a weird quizlet for CPJE that has like 1300 items in it. Contains no details but has like drug names and some other stuff, good for last few days review.

How random were the question went it came to dosing? I heard they weren’t even like top 200 drugs.

Took mine on the 23rd. Hoping I passed. I also took the MPJE for NY and all I can say is that it was a piece of cake compared to CPJE. Good luck everyone.

Quick Question.
If every test taker get different questions for CPJE
How does the curving work? since some people can get "easy questions" while other get the harder ones?
-Thansk

Cpje is based on a curve? If so what you guys thing the amount of question right need to be

The CPJE is NOT based on a curve. It is a “scaled score.” This is explained thoroughly on the CA BOP’s website in a much better way than I can. All I know is that the BOP admits that some versions of the exam are much harder than other versions and therefore those harder exams will require less correct answers to still obtain a scaled score of 75 to pass. If the exam is deemed “not as challenging” then it may require more correct answers to get a 75. See the CA BOP website for further details.

The CPJE is NOT based on a curve. It is a “scaled score.” This is explained thoroughly on the CA BOP’s website in a much better way than I can. All I know is that the BOP admits that some versions of the exam are much harder than other versions and therefore those harder exams will require less correct answers to still obtain a scaled score of 75 to pass. If the exam is deemed “not as challenging” then it may require more correct answers to get a 75. See the CA BOP website for further details.

Just curious. As for the questions on the exam. Each cycle, are the questions the same for everyone. Or is it more similar to the Naplex, where there is a test bank, and the questions are randomly chosen from there?

Just curious. As for the questions on the exam. Each cycle, are the questions the same for everyone. Or is it more similar to the Naplex, where there is a test bank, and the questions are randomly chosen from there?

Not 100% sure about that but I cannot imagine that it would be exactly the same. Anyone could take the rest and remember at least half of it and tell everyone else. I’m sure it’s a test bank. But I have no idea because I only took it once. Waiting for my results.

Also, don’t forget that the exam is out of 90 questions but only 75 of those questions are actually graded for your score. The other 15 are “pre test” questions but you will not know which ones those are.

how exactly do you get your predate? I heard the results might be released this week or next week.
Log onto PSI, and if there is a predate, the date should be displayed under Portion (result) column under past activity. And the result will be at your house around 2-3 weeks from that predate.

Log onto PSI, and if there is a predate, the date should be displayed under Portion (result) column under past activity. And the result will be at your house around 2-3 weeks from that predate.
I don't see anything except the exam and the date I took it and few other options like retest or send duplicate score options but that's it. I'm assuming the predate has not been determined yet.

I don't see anything except the exam and the date I took it and few other options like retest or send duplicate score options but that's it. I'm assuming the predate has not been determined yet.

I just checked also. No pre-date has been assigned as of now.

Sorry for kept asking the same question.
Some claimed that they have gotten their predate, but I still have not got my predate yet. Either they are messing with me or I got stuck with the next patch. Can someone please confirm this for me. thanks and sorry

Sorry for kept asking the same question.
Some claimed that they have gotten their predate, but I still have not got my predate yet. Either they are messing with me or I got stuck with the next patch. Can someone please confirm this for me. thanks and sorry

What's the predate that some people are getting?

The last predate was 9/29. I cant imagine anyone who took their test after this date already getting their predate already since everyone i talked to havent gotten theirs yet.

The last predate was 9/29. I cant imagine anyone who took their test after this date already getting their predate already since everyone i talked to havent gotten theirs yet.

I keep checking everyday but it's still not available yet. I imagine it will be released soon though because I think the average cycle time is 30-35 days ish. Hang in there folks! Results should be coming soon....

I heard there is no QA cycle this year

QA requires 400 people to take the exam before they release the scores. I do not believe this is one of them. The CA Board of Pharmacy is required to post that on their website and I have no seen anything yet. We all just have to be patient.

It has been 5 weeks since I've taken the exam and still no predate. Is it a group of snails grading these things or something? I got licensed in Iowa in like 7 days. I always joke with my techs saying if I do fail at least I won't have to wait to retake the exam anymore.

It has been 5 weeks since I've taken the exam and still no predate. Is it a group of snails grading these things or something? I got licensed in Iowa in like 7 days. I always joke with my techs saying if I do fail at least I won't have to wait to retake the exam anymore.

LOL - Well, I used to say that they had sloths or hamsters running to CA BOP. However, the process for re-taking the CPJE all over again is also a very long waiting game. You have to re-apply for the ATT which that alone could take 45 days for them to respond. This happened to a friend of mine.

LOL - Well, I used to say that they had sloths or hamsters running to CA BOP. However, the process for re-taking the CPJE all over again is also a very long waiting game. You have to re-apply for the ATT which that alone could take 45 days for them to respond. This happened to a friend of mine.
Now it was 75 days for retake application...

Now it was 75 days for retake application...
OMG are you freaking serious? That's literally a whole year wasted just taking the test and waiting for results. Jesus I dont think any pharmacy would wait for you that long to get licensed.

Reactions: 1 users