Adding MD medical schools in October

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pamp

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been lucky to have secured several interviews during the current cycle. I applied to two top 10 schools last month and have interviewed at both of them. I only applied to these two out of my school list because my mcat score is only 80%ile. (which is great just not great at top 10 schools). Its boosted my confidence and I am no longer thinking it was a fluke after the second one.

I am blessed to have interviewed of course, and I am thinking about adding several more top 20 schools, because neither school is rolling admissions and I won't have an outcome for a long time. One school I submitted at mid September and received an interview beginning of October. I know its not great odds, but is it worth it to add schools, especially other schools that are non-rolling admissions this late in the cycle? I receive FAP so its not the biggest financial burden.

Members don't see this ad.

I am lucky to have interviewed at 2 non-rolling admissions schools that are great programs. I won't know until well after the new year if I am admitted.

I am wondering, when should I plan on sending letters of intent/update letters of what I have recently accomplished? My understanding is that a decision is probably already made, but since the wait is so long should I do it soon or should I not bother at all?

We don't have a profile, so assuming your application is the bee's knees and you seem to want to take the chance having a few spots available through FAP, I guess there's nothing to stop you.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What have you recently accomplished? If you know these schools want frequent updates to know you still love them until they send you a decision, sure.
honestly I do not have any major updates other than an accepted manuscript. I know at least one of the schools accepts them, but I don't want to hassle the schools with many small updates.

Is it better to submit things as they come and show continued interest? I was thinking just a juicy email in December or January with multiple big updates and a letter of intent.

We don't have a profile, so assuming your application is the bee's knees and you seem to want to take the chance having a few spots available through FAP, I guess there's nothing to stop you.
thank you! what do you mean not having a profile?

I have been lucky to have secured several interviews during the current cycle. I applied to two top 10 schools last month and have interviewed at both of them. I only applied to these two out of my school list because my mcat score is only 80%ile. (which is great just not great at top 10 schools). Its boosted my confidence and I am no longer thinking it was a fluke after the second one.

I am blessed to have interviewed of course, and I am thinking about adding several more top 20 schools, because neither school is rolling admissions and I won't have an outcome for a long time. One school I submitted at mid September and received an interview beginning of October. I know its not great odds, but is it worth it to add schools, especially other schools that are non-rolling admissions this late in the cycle? I receive FAP so its not the biggest financial burden.
Out of curiosity, which schools are non-rolling? And if so is that for post-interview admission decisions or interview consideration as well?

Is there a chance to get an interview when submitting an October secondary?

Out of curiosity, which schools are non-rolling? And if so is that for post-interview admission decisions or interview consideration as well?
We are all "rolling" with regard to evaluation. For applicants it makes no difference (except for the timing of notification).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
80th percentile MCAT is around 509. Two IIs from top 10 schools after applying in September? You must have some secret sauce in your application.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
honestly I do not have any major updates other than an accepted manuscript. I know at least one of the schools accepts them, but I don't want to hassle the schools with many small updates.

Is it better to submit things as they come and show continued interest? I was thinking just a juicy email in December or January with multiple big updates and a letter of intent.
I have merged your threads as each question does not need it's own thread.

No, continued interest letters after an interview are of little use unless it is at one of the few "needy" schools. They likely would have emphasized that to you during interview day if they fit into that category.

80th percentile MCAT is around 509. Two IIs from top 10 schools after applying in September? You must have some secret sauce in your application.
I am not URM but a cohesive mission, paired with a clear demonstration of ambition and great reflective writing is all I can attest it to. I'm a little higher than 509.

We are all "rolling" with regard to evaluation. For applicants it makes no difference (except for the notification of decision).
I have been under the assumption that non rolling schools evaluate students in bunches, but are continuously updating list so students interviewing (for example) in January have an equal shot at admission. Is that not the case, and my position has already been decided?

I am not URM but a cohesive mission, paired with a clear demonstration of ambition and great reflective writing is all I can attest it to. I'm a little higher than 509.
As I said earlier, without a WAMC profile, I don't think anything we can suggest will sway you from doing what you want to do. If you have a good number of interviews bagged and some spots left on your FAP, go for it. You don't have much time left, and a good number of strong applicants are in the queue ahead of you. (Indeed, the general rule for me is that you should go for your in-states at this late stage, but you probably already got II's or will get them if you submitted already.)

Go for it. You have nothing to lose and you might wonder what could’ve been if you don’t.