october takers..begin countdown..its time

Started by manutdmax
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

manutdmax

Accepted PharmD Student
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
OKey guys...

for all the october PCAT takers..i thought about making a private thread for us to discuss many factors for the big countdown...

1- how you are preparing for the exam. please mention your resources
2- how you pass your time with work/study especially fall classes will begin this week?
3- what are you doing to overcome the time factor in the exam/
4- what state are you taking the exam?
5- how many times did you take the exam, if more than once how you will improve this time..
6- what are your aiming schools?

plz make any comments for the october exam in this thread, any resources, any websites you think it will benefit us..
this will be my first time to take the PCAT, am taking it in chicago in a place called illinois inst of health sci which i have no idea about it..am using the kaplan 2007 book, today i bought a new 5 $ digital watch to get over the 30 seconds per question factor...am studying like 2 hours a day and working as pharm tech....
 
Haven't started yet. But, I am finishing apps.

Will be using CLiffs, Hartcourt,. barrons, and kaplan for reference.

Also taking two science courses and working part time.

Basically, I am screwed.

is this your first time,,,what state you will take the exam , how many students normaly will be taking the exam with you in the hall..is it more than 100?
 
is this your first time,,,what state you will take the exam , how many students normaly will be taking the exam with you in the hall..is it more than 100?

I took the June PCAT with a no score option. I didn't study at all for it. And i felt good about 55% of the questions. The rest were not sure because it's been a while since I've done calc and just forgot some aspects of Ochem, etc.

I have no idea how many people take the exam with me. LOL.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I took the June PCAT with a no score option. I didn't study at all for it. And i felt good about 55% of the questions. The rest were not sure because it's been a while since I've done calc and just forgot some aspects of Ochem, etc.

I have no idea how many people take the exam with me. LOL.


well,,i dont know man , i will study and see how it goes..but i think i will end up with this no score option..
icon10.gif
 
I just took the test in august. Surprisingly i was pretty prepared for the chemistry. I used Kaplan and Cliffs. Furthermore, I did a little stuyding from my ochem book. I did okay on bio but i could have done better. I used Kaplan and Cliffs for this. However, I was not prepared for the math. There were many calc questions, so this time I am going to over my calc textbook because neither kaplan or cliffs prepared me for this portion. Hope this helps!
 
I wish I had a longer summer so I could study some more without classes, but oh well.

I feel pretty okay on everything but chem and math. My plan is to hit my old textbooks for practice problems for the next couple of weeks. I'll probably look at some books at Border's for math review. Then I just really want to hit practice tests for timing (ARCO, Cliff's, and Kaplan). Maybe add in some vocab study but I am balancing a lot so this is less important to me.

I'll probably spend about 10 hours a week on PCAT studying. I'm going to write out a schedule for when I'm going to study what, go to work, etc. just to keep on track better. I'll be taking it in AZ for the second time.

I'm planning on applying to Uof Arizona, UNC, Purdue, and maybe somewhere else. I'm a little screwed on my choices because I can't fit speech or microecon into my schedule, so that really limits it.
 
1- how you are preparing for the exam. please mention your resources
Kaplan, Cliffs, Barrons, old textbooks

2- how you pass your time with work/study especially fall classes will begin this week?
I take the bus to and from work so that give me about 1 hour a day then I try to get another hour in somewhere

3- what are you doing to overcome the time factor in the exam
Not too concerned. I am a pretty speedy test taker. If I don't know the answer I make a quick educated guess and spend time on the questions I know I can solve.

4- what state are you taking the exam?
Louisville, KY

5- how many times did you take the exam, if more than once how you will improve this time..
First time.

6- what are your aiming schools?
Sullivan
 
I wish I had a longer summer so I could study some more without classes, but oh well.

I feel pretty okay on everything but chem and math. My plan is to hit my old textbooks for practice problems for the next couple of weeks. I'll probably look at some books at Border's for math review. Then I just really want to hit practice tests for timing (ARCO, Cliff's, and Kaplan). Maybe add in some vocab study but I am balancing a lot so this is less important to me.

I'll probably spend about 10 hours a week on PCAT studying. I'm going to write out a schedule for when I'm going to study what, go to work, etc. just to keep on track better. I'll be taking it in AZ for the second time.

I'm planning on applying to Uof Arizona, UNC, Purdue, and maybe somewhere else. I'm a little screwed on my choices because I can't fit speech or microecon into my schedule, so that really limits it.

try to take the speech and econ during the summer session...... i know a lot of community colleges offer econ online during summer
 
i'm taking it in october for the first time.

so far i'm using the kaplan and schaums. i plan on looking into dr. collins materials

i'm not going to waste time with applications right now. the schools i'm looking at stated they don't review apps until complete, which will be 3 weeks after the pcat. so i'll do my apps then.

SIUE, UMKC
 
1- how you are preparing for the exam. please mention your resources
Kaplan, Princeton Review MCAT books (targeted/selected), and old textbooks.

2- how you pass your time with work/study especially fall classes will begin this week?
Taking 2 science classes and working part time. Trying to get in 1-3 hours per day, but it's tough. 4 hour sessions over the weekend.

3- what are you doing to overcome the time factor in the exam
I'm a good test taker with multiple choice, so I'm not worried.

4- what state are you taking the exam?
Los Angeles, CA (USC)

5- how many times did you take the exam, if more than once how you will improve this time..
First time

6- what are your aiming schools?
UH Hilo, Jefferson, USC*, Western*, UCSF*
*non-PCAT school
 
okey am almost done with the biology in kaplan, i will start chemistry next week, i have no clue how i will do on math since am horrible ..so i will do practice and practice as much as possible...
 
1- how you are preparing for the exam. please mention your resources
only have enough time to study one book soo kaplan 🙂

2- how you pass your time with work/study especially fall classes will begin this week?
so far i have only been studying at most 1 hour a day, i decided to give a week or 2 for each subject. i'm taking 15 credits this fall plus i have 2 jobs part time 🙁....but starting this weekend i'm gonna study atleast 3-5 hours daily!!!!!!!!!

3- what are you doing to overcome the time factor in the exam
i'm gonna study the material first then practice speed the last week before the exam!

4- what state are you taking the exam?
Maryland

5- how many times did you take the exam, if more than once how you will improve this time..
second time, did soooooooo bad the first time i didnt study at all 35% 🙁

6- what are your aiming schools?
umd 🙁..lecom...howard...shenandoah...appl....and ANY FREAKING SCHOOL I CAN GET INTO IS MY AIMING SCHOOL.....🙂

anybody have advice for me for my really tough crazy sched. i'm soooo scared!!!!
 
1- how you are preparing for the exam. please mention your resources
only have enough time to study one book soo kaplan 🙂

2- how you pass your time with work/study especially fall classes will begin this week?
so far i have only been studying at most 1 hour a day, i decided to give a week or 2 for each subject. i'm taking 15 credits this fall plus i have 2 jobs part time 🙁....but starting this weekend i'm gonna study atleast 3-5 hours daily!!!!!!!!!

3- what are you doing to overcome the time factor in the exam
i'm gonna study the material first then practice speed the last week before the exam!

4- what state are you taking the exam?
Maryland

5- how many times did you take the exam, if more than once how you will improve this time..
second time, did soooooooo bad the first time i didnt study at all 35% 🙁

6- what are your aiming schools?
umd 🙁..lecom...howard...shenandoah...appl....and ANY FREAKING SCHOOL I CAN GET INTO IS MY AIMING SCHOOL.....🙂

anybody have advice for me for my really tough crazy sched. i'm soooo scared!!!!


well i dont know what to tell you ..study hard and practice..focus on that
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
1- how you are preparing for the exam. please mention your resources-barrons,kaplan,cliffs,old texts
2- how you pass your time with work/study especially fall classes will begin this week? not working or takingclasses,aiming at 10hours study per day
3- what are you doing to overcome the time factor in the exam/ Stop being a slacker and live at the library all day
4- what state are you taking the exam? texas
5- how many times did you take the exam, if more than once how you will improve this time.. Study harder,not focus on detail so much,just basics.
6- what are your aiming schools? if i told u,id have to kill u :laugh:
 
i am studying 5 hours a day for 5 days a week. i am finished with Gen chem, bio, a&p, and orgo I in depth (I know all the stuff from kaplan) (for organic i studied from my texbook) . Now i am going to finish math and micro then review and review and review till OCT 19...and hopefully this will be the last time for me...😀
 
any of you slacking? i JUST started studying yesterday for the october one and it wasn't very intense...i have to step up my game!! ahhh....

(i took the august one)

I've been slacking too. I needed some time off though from the stress of the last one. I think I need to stay at the library more because I'm not very productive at home...lol.