OD and OMDs should not be allowed to sell eyeglasses

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

It could potentially be similar to a closed angle glaucoma, and I would expect similar symptoms if that were the case.... otherwise why was I quitted there?

You have no idea what you are talking about. It would be nothing like angle closure. Then angle is wide open, in fact the iris is bowed posteriorly, not anteriorly. That is the mechanism of pigmentary dispersion / pigmentary glaucoma. Not the over minus part, but chafing of the anterior lens capsule rubs pigment off the posterior iris which gets clogged in the TM. In answer to the prior question, sometimes patient can feel it , usually after exercise , most cannot but have elevated IOP which can lead to GON. The test answer is young, myopic males.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Who will have more pronounced vision loss: 3 children with the same initial acuity
1 goes completely untreated
1 gets treated inappropriately and the correction actually worsens the myopia
1 gets treated inappropriately because the myopia is not fully corrected

expected relative changes in adult visual acuity?

Specter..........you are completely wrong, uninformed and looking completely stupid. You've already been schooled by about 6 different people. I know you're a member of the great 'Y' generation who is never wrong. Your mom will probably give you a certificate just for post on-line and arguing with us.

But this time, you are 100% WRONG and no amount of babbling will make you correct. Just deal with it. Be glad you made such a mistake on line anonoymously and not in person. Call mom and let out a good cry and then move on with your life. Mabybe a big bowl of ice cream with the girls will help.

BTW, any OMD I know only seeing 12 patients would go out of business. Industry statistics show ODs average 12 pts per day (as given in Jason examples). I'd guess the average good OMD is seeing 30-40 with heavy tech support.

And, oh yea, this is an EYE (inhabited by ODs and OMD) forum so why would we even be talking about other types of MDs?!? Who care how many patients other MDs see. Hello.... McFly!!?

But don't be that man. Don't be a troll. You've got time to save yourself. Just run and hide.

Last edited:
Specter, you really need to just drop it. You're coming off as a troll, whether you intend to or not. This is not a productive exchange.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's quite ironic that Walmart is weak on its home turf. Opthlamologist/Optometrist/Optician have a strong lobby. They pushed for some laws that are very restrictive on retail optical.

Walmart is closing most of it's optical centers in the state - when a store is set for remodeling - they are turning them into WalmartConnect Centers(cell-phones).

Apprenticeships are years longer at retail.
Retail Opticians can't dispense CL, at all. Doctor only.
Most manufacturers are pressured to go to independent doctors for safety glasses and
supply insurance benefits. I was told by several people that their insurance will pay an independent doctor for glasses, but will only reimburse them for retail purchases - so free glasses/CL at an independent doctors office.
They can't keep fulltime liscensed ODs or Opticians, if the doctor or the optician isn't there - then the customers can't pick-up there prescriptions.

BTW, the problem with the no-sell argument is - when people buy their glasses/CL they can immediately tell if they are working. They came there specifically for that purpose.
They can afford or they can't - their insurance will pay for it or it won't.

Also, retail opticals w/independent docs (like Walmart) don't have the conflict - when I worked there non of the docs cared if you bought your glasses there, but they would sell the heck out of contact lenses - since they were the only ones allowed to dispense them.

BTW, the problem with the no-sell argument is - when people buy their glasses/CL they can immediately tell if they are working.

without commenting on your entire post, I just wanted to point out the fallacy of the above statement. Even if that were always true (which it very definitely is not), it would do nothing to address the problem of asymptomatic eye disease, which is pretty common in the population (although I'm off topic I think :D)

I agree. Optometrists should not sell eyeglasses anymore, but rent the display space to commercial or frame manufacture.