OD/ MS program

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shannon804

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been admitted to SUNY Optometry for the OD program. As an undergraduate, I did research part-time, and I currently work full-time in a lab. I enjoy research, but I am worried about the added load of a research project. In your experiences, would having this extra degree open up any doors for me that a regular OD degree with some research experience wouldn't? Would you be more likely to hire someone with an OD/MS degree?

Members don't see this ad.

My only experience is speaking with optometrists and listening to presentations about what we can do with an MS degree alongside our OD.

It opens the door for research. You could work for pharmaceutical companies, contact lens companies, etc. Also, in private practice, you can apply to be a part of trials for new products. In these trials, you would recruit current patients or advertise for new patients to take part. From what I understand, this opens new avenues for revenue which are only possible with the MS.

From current students: It's a lot of work. Your course load is already heavy, and this will certainly make it worse. Here at OSU we have a program that allows you to get all, or at least most, of your research out of the way. Your next few years are spent taking your optometry classes and then piling on MS classes on top. Also, during fourth year when boards are done with, everyone will get a slight break. The MS students will be preparing to defend a thesis which means you are busy right up until you graduate.

It's a great program, but it's really suggested for those who want to do research in the future and/or teach. It's not required to teach at most institutions, but it will certainly help you get in the door and put you ahead of other applicants.

... Would you be more likely to hire someone with an OD/MS degree?

As a private practice owner: No.
If I was running a research lab: Yes.

When I'm looking to hire an OD for my private practice, I am much more interested in your clinical experience and your personality/demeanor. I could care less about your grades and extra degrees.