OD or MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alliecat415

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been posted before, but anyone ever consider opthalmology instead of optometry?

I would like to hear how others made or are making their decisions.... I understand the difference in performing eye surgery as opposed to just seeing patients, and the differences in length of training and earning potential, but I am intersted to hear what people are basing their choices on. It almost feels like most people who go the MD path don't choose to specialize in eye care until after getting into med school. Just trying to make an informed decision, any input appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I ran into the same dilemma before -- MD or OD.
I chose OD because its stress level is almost non-existent. It has decent earning potential and financial security. Hours are flexible in most cases.
I took both the MCAT and OAT. My MCAT+GPA+exp score can get me into a medical school, at least a DO school for sure. But at the end I chose optometry because it involves interactions with the patients, that are clean and easy to manage. In other words, no contact with blood and no need to do scary incisions/injections..etc. Hope this helps your decision!:)

I ran into the same dilemma before -- MD or OD.
I chose OD because its stress level is almost non-existent. It has decent earning potential and financial security. Hours are flexible in most cases.
I took both the MCAT and OAT. My MCAT+GPA+exp score can get me into a medical school, at least a DO school for sure. But at the end I chose optometry because it involves interactions with the patients, that are clean and easy to manage. In other words, no contact with blood and no need to do scary incisions/injections..etc. Hope this helps your decision!:)

Yeah I completely agree....my husband is in his third year of MD school and I am doing a post bacc for either med or opt. those are all some of the things that attracted me to it in the first place. Thanks for your input.

Members don't see this ad :)
is it ok to say that during an interview though? I feel like I need some kind of better answer besides the fact that stress level isn't that high...

hey luckyfool,

You're lucky that more pre-med students don't read the optometry forums otherwise you'd have about 100 people reaming you about thinking you are a shoe-in for DO school. If anything, picking optometry instead of opthamology is saying I want to be a doctor of something and not have to endure a residency. Good luck with the whole "I could be a medical doctor but I choose not too, because I don't want to be stressed out" :thumbdown:

I'm sure this has been posted before, but anyone ever consider opthalmology instead of optometry?

I would like to hear how others made or are making their decisions.... I understand the difference in performing eye surgery as opposed to just seeing patients, and the differences in length of training and earning potential, but I am intersted to hear what people are basing their choices on. It almost feels like most people who go the MD path don't choose to specialize in eye care until after getting into med school. Just trying to make an informed decision, any input appreciated.

A few classmates chose optometry over medical school (and they were accepted) because of family. It's a legitmate reason for choosing your career based on less work hours/on-call, less stress, and a stable income.

When I was in undergrad, I was doing a QandA for pre-optometry. A lady started pounding me on what is optometry and why I didn't go to med school. Found out later she was an OMD's wife and her son wanted to be an OMD just like his dad. I informed her the odds of her son getting into my undergrad and medical school, as well as matching for an ophthalmology residency are pretty slim. Those who go the MD path usually don't choose ophthalmology beforehand.