OD vs O-Tech??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fkajoshaj

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I noticed that there are a bunch of job offerings from OMD practices that ask for an OD OR Opthalmic tech. The pay is anywhere from 35-60 an hour. It seems that Opthalmic tech's in an OMD practice can pretty much do everything an OD can do minus the Rx. I guess in the eyes of OMD's, an OD is no better than an Opthalmic technician. What are the requirements for an Opthalmic tech??? This is rediculous! To pay an O-tech the same as an OD is just plain wrong. WOWWWW

Members don't see this ad.

I noticed that there are a bunch of job offerings from OMD practices that ask for an OD OR Opthalmic tech. The pay is anywhere from 35-60 an hour. It seems that Opthalmic tech's in an OMD practice can pretty much do everything an OD can do minus the Rx. I guess in the eyes of OMD's, an OD is no better than an Opthalmic technician. What are the requirements for an Opthalmic tech??? This is rediculous! To pay an O-tech the same as an OD is just plain wrong. WOWWWW

Seems like bs. Could you perhaps prove your claim ?

Just go to the Bureau of Labor Statistics website and look at the job description/stats, they will tell you everything from education experience to salary.

Members don't see this ad :)
optometrist/ophthalmic technician (Upper East Side)

personable, self-motivated OD or ophthalmic tech needed for very busy general ophthalmology practice. Accurate patient work-ups, including history, refraction, tonometry, a prerequisite. Part-time at first, full- time after July 1st. Salary and benefits, based on experience and skills, range from $35.00/hr to $60.00/hr. Experience and ability to work under pressure a must.

Site link: http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/hea/675641358.html

optometrist/ophthalmic technician (Upper East Side)

personable, self-motivated OD or ophthalmic tech needed for very busy general ophthalmology practice. Accurate patient work-ups, including history, refraction, tonometry, a prerequisite. Part-time at first, full- time after July 1st. Salary and benefits, based on experience and skills, range from $35.00/hr to $60.00/hr. Experience and ability to work under pressure a must.

Site link: http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/hea/675641358.html

Im not sure if this is a wrong interpretation but maybe the $35/hr is designated towards the tech and the $65/hour for the OD ?

It doesnt make sense for OD's to get paid as much as techs, although an output of a quick search depicts the contrary.

You might be right gochi, but im still upset at the fact that Omd's need either or, and they dont put OD's on a higher pedestal. Opthalmic tech's can pretty much do everything an OD can do minus the Rx. So pretty much an OMD doesnt really need an OD to do all the non surgical stuff, he/she can just hire an O-tech! :(

You might be right gochi, but im still upset at the fact that Omd's need either or, and they dont put OD's on a higher pedestal. Opthalmic tech's can pretty much do everything an OD can do minus the Rx. So pretty much an OMD doesnt really need an OD to do all the non surgical stuff, he/she can just hire an O-tech! :(

Well, thats another reasons to allow od's to do some sort of surgery. :D

Basically... that is not a good place for an OD to be... history, refraction, and tonometry... that's it:eek:. All this OMD really wants is a tech. If an OD can do that job for them and do it efficiently then all the better for the OMD, but it's not the type of place many OD's would be happy in - no independence, patients are not your patient...they are the OMD's patients and the OMD will make all of the management decisions.

In NC, its definately not like that. A lady I used to work with got a job as an ophthalmic tech at another office where they trained her on the job, and it was about the same as an optometric tech, $15/hour.

well, the ophthalmic techs have their own certification, three levels: certified ophthalmic assistant, certified ophthalmic technician, and certified ophthalmic technologist.
Each level has different level of responsibilities and capabilities such as doing different tests, OCT, A-scan and other stuff...you can google certified ophthalmic assistant and it will take you to their organization.

the OMD that I currently work for sponsored me to get the first level of certification (that's why I know about this). I am thinking of doing part time work during school (don't know how feasible this will be though), so maybe this is good for some people with certain kind of experiences but w/o a degree, maybe not so good for people have OD degrees....who knows...