Quantcast

Odd Publication Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DBC03

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I finally had the brilliant idea to look my name up with regards to publications as I worked on a manuscript with my thesis advisor that I thought was never completed. He published a paper based on some of my research, and put my name in the acknowledgements, but I wasn't an official "author" on the paper. Is this something I should note on my secondaries? I should probably review all other papers at this point to see what I find. Thanks for any advice!

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I finally had the brilliant idea to look my name up with regards to publications as I worked on a manuscript with my thesis advisor that I thought was never completed. He published a paper based on some of my research, and put my name in the acknowledgements, but I wasn't an official "author" on the paper. Is this something I should note on my secondaries? I should probably review all other papers at this point to see what I find. Thanks for any advice!
Nope.

Acknowledgements are for "expert technical assistance" or similar.

Just let it go.

DBC03

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Nope.

Acknowledgements are for "expert technical assistance" or similar.

Just let it go.

Thanks! I always wondered what happened to that paper we worked on, so it was nice to see that something WAS published. I will leave it out, but will remain satisfied that it led to something!

Reactions: 1 user

aldol16

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
If this research is one of your activities on AMCAS, you can mention that you were acknowledged for your contributions in the final published draft. Don't create a separate entry just for the acknowedgement though.

DBC03

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
If this research is one of your activities on AMCAS, you can mention that you were acknowledged for your contributions in the final published draft. Don't create a separate entry just for the acknowedgement though.

I sent my primary in a while back stating that we had worked on a manuscript that was not published. There's no reason to mention on secondaries that it was published, I'm assuming, right? I was thinking along the lines that you said where I would just mention it in the description. Would it be odd to mention that my PI used my research when he wrote a paper when I'm discussing my research in secondaries? I don't mean in the "Is there anything else" questions - just when I'm talking about this specific project I worked on as research.