Odd scenario - bad aamc practice test scores, but good Next Step test scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctor_crane

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I perform 5-8 points better on my Next Step exams. When I take the aamc offical practice tests, I do much worse. I've heard that the Next Step and other tests are supposed to be harder?
(It's possible that I happen to do worse on the aamc tests due to not taking it as seriously or something)
I take the MCAT in a week, so I was not expecting my aamc test to be 8 points lower than my Next Step tests... In fact, after months of studying, this test is lower than the test I took before studying! (I'm possibly sleep deprived)

Members don't see this ad.

Post what scores you got on which tests, at what point in your studying. IE: "NS1 - 505 before content review, NS2 - 508 after finishing content review, AAMC unscored 500 4weeks out, AAMC scored 502 2weeks out", etc.

Kinda in the same boat as you. Took the AAMC score FL #1 and scored only a point above my TPR practice tests which was super surprising and lowkey heartbreaking. I plan to void my exam on May 13th, but use it as a practice exam since I won't be getting a refund back anyways. I plan to take it again either June 1st or mid-June.

I will also note that upon taking the AAMC material, I noticed that it was A LOT easier and I got a lot of questions wrong because I was taking things a little too far in terms of how I thought about it. TPR tended to make it feel like you were never thinking enough and tended to very content heavy, whereas I felt like the AAMC would tell you the answers point blank and you just had to recognize it. With that said, I think I rushed through a good number of questions that were easy but I felt like I was on the TPR timer (at the end of the bio and P/S I had about 10-15 minutes extra... normally run out of time or miss a whole passage or two).

I'd say take another NS exam and then take the AAMC FL #2 knowing that you're a step above the material. If the question seems easy, that's probably because it is. That's the way I will approach AAMC FL #2.

Members don't see this ad :)
500 Sample Test (estimate) before studying.

502 aamc fl 1 (near end of studying)

507 NS 1 after studying

506 NS 2 after studying

499 aamc fl 2 after studying and more practice

But I also only got 3 hours of sleep last night... I did not feel tired so I went ahead and took the test. I'm guessing I should never take an MCAT on 3 hours of sleep... (I set in stone to take an MCAT a week before the MCAT and last night my apartment neighbors were loud all night, impossible to sleep)

I can't really take the AAMC FL 2 because I already know what is on it. I'm back to Next Step exams.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I really just want to know if I can rely on the NS exams. I did think that the AAMC FL 2 was easier, but I was quite surprised when I finished.

AAMC tests are key. Company tests are usually deflated so I have no idea how you did well on company tests and poorly on AAMC tests. Maybe the AAMC style of passages, questions, answers etc. isn't clicking with you? The real MCAT is similar, if not harder, than AAMC tests.

AAMC tests are the best representation of what you will see on test day.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm on the same boat too and very confused on what I should do.. I took the MCAT last year and scored a 500 on the real deal. Retaking it on May 13th. Taken 8 practice test using nextstep and AAMC range in 501-508 with my AAMC practice exam #1 score 506 taken two weeks ago and my AAMC practice exam #2 score being a 496 this past week............ I don't understand how I managed a 10 pt difference when I am with you, I felt the AAMC FL 2 was easier and I was literally shocked at the score. I have no idea what to do now and what I can manage to accomplish in ONE week that will make me feel better about this :(

Bizarre. I'm sure being sleep-deprived hurt a lot - that's definitely something you should figure out a solution to. What will you do if that happens again before test day? Maybe scheduling for a Saturday was unwise.

Maybe try an Exam Krackers test and see how that goes.

I really just want to know if I can rely on the NS exams. I did think that the AAMC FL 2 was easier, but I was quite surprised when I finished.

An updated google doc for exam scores up until March 31st, 2017 that is continuously updated. Take a look and compare things for yourself, I think this is an amazing resource to kinda gauage yourself. It definitely shed some good/healthy light on my current circumstance (as you'll see, of the HUNDREDS of scores posted, almost all of them show a significant increase from the practice tests to the real AAMC).

I will warn that you should take all of these with a grain of salt though. Without knowing more in depth about how each individual performs and what not, these scores can tell a wildy different story.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't know whether it will work for you OP but one way to do well on the exam is by answering the questions directly and avoid overthinking things. Much of the exam involves translating complex topics into simple concepts based on what you have learned and answering question straightforwardly. Remember to keep things simple. And process of elimination is key so if you are stuck between two choices, look for which choice is less wrong and pick it. It's a good way to net a lot more points.

Besides that, confidence is key to doing well in the exam. Maintain energy and be completely focused on the exam. Avoid thinking about the score in the end and focus on attempting and answering every question with 100% effort. Utilize all the breaks to clear your mind. Be positive and you'll do well. Good luck!

I do know the material, that is not the issue... I'm thinking it's the fact that I'm taking my tests at home (no where else to take them) and that I do not feel very alarmed with the test. I believe that I took the AAMC FL tests at crappy times in my life. The first time was just a busy week and the first MCAT I took since the sample... This time I was running on low sleep... But you are correct when you say that the AAMC FL are my best guesses of how I'd do on the real exam. (But I've also learned that the NS is supposed to underestimate your score, for the average student)

I may rent a hotel the night before the exam right by the exam center. That may be a good idea. (the exam center is in a city that is 40 minutes away and the test is at 8 am.

I believe I struggle the most with reading. CARS is my worst section, does not seem to matter how many times I practice. Always score from 120-125. That may have overlapped along with the lack of sleep since every section is pretty much a reading section.

So when I take the MCAT in a week, I'll really have no idea if I did very well or if I did very bad until I get the score back. I'll keep studying, if I fail, I can always take it again. (but I really do not want to)

I do know the material, that is not the issue... I'm thinking it's the fact that I'm taking my tests at home (no where else to take them) and that I do not feel very alarmed with the test. I believe that I took the AAMC FL tests at crappy times in my life. The first time was just a busy week and the first MCAT I took since the sample... This time I was running on low sleep... But you are correct when you say that the AAMC FL are my best guesses of how I'd do on the real exam. (But I've also learned that the NS is supposed to underestimate your score, for the average student)

I may rent a hotel the night before the exam right by the exam center. That may be a good idea. (the exam center is in a city that is 40 minutes away and the test is at 8 am.

I believe I struggle the most with reading. CARS is my worst section, does not seem to matter how many times I practice. Always score from 120-125. That may have overlapped along with the lack of sleep since every section is pretty much a reading section.

So when I take the MCAT in a week, I'll really have no idea if I did very well or if I did very bad until I get the score back. I'll keep studying, if I fail, I can always take it again. (but I really do not want to)

Follow this for CARS: Testing Solution’s 30 Day Guide to MCAT CARS Success

If you do not feel comfortable at all when you take the MCAT, void it. Always. A bad score will remain in your record, so it's better to void. TestingSolutions' strategy needs ideally 3 months of good preparation to do well on CARS.

Reactions: 1 users
What if I take another practice MCAT Tuesday and I do well?
If I void this test, it sets me back a year.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm on the same boat too and very confused on what I should do.. I took the MCAT last year and scored a 500 on the real deal. Retaking it on May 13th. Taken 8 practice test using nextstep and AAMC range in 501-508 with my AAMC practice exam #1 score 506 taken two weeks ago and my AAMC practice exam #2 score being a 496 this past week............ I don't understand how I managed a 10 pt difference when I am with you, I felt the AAMC FL 2 was easier and I was literally shocked at the score. I have no idea what to do now and what I can manage to accomplish in ONE week that will make me feel better about this :(

You and me. Haha. I think we're just going to gamble with this test. I feel prepared, but I could use more time to prepare for CARS...

Follow this for CARS: Testing Solution’s 30 Day Guide to MCAT CARS Success

If you do not feel comfortable at all when you take the MCAT, void it. Always. A bad score will remain in your record, so it's better to void. TestingSolutions' strategy needs ideally 3 months of good preparation to do well on CARS.

I know I can do better on CARS, I've made 125s . I do not really want to void the test based on 1 exam where I was sleep deprived, even if it was the AAMC FL. I should have taken a next step test today, but that's hindsight bias... On the bright side, maybe this will give me the arousal to do well on the real thing. I'm less likely to do well if I think I'll do well (I expected to do well on this test, but not the NS tests).

If I get a permanent bad score, I'll do what I must to make up for it. I've got a 4.0 GPA and lots of shadowing and volunteering. A true passion for medicine and science. I feel prepared, but if I do bad on an exam again, I will consider voiding, but may still go for it if I feel confident.

In the end, it's best to take on great challenges than to never try.

Thank you very much for the CARS info.

I know I can do better on CARS, I've made 125s . I do not really want to void the test based on 1 exam where I was sleep deprived, even if it was the AAMC FL. I should have taken a next step test today, but that's hindsight bias... On the bright side, maybe this will give me the arousal to do well on the real thing. I'm less likely to do well if I think I'll do well (I expected to do well on this test, but not the NS tests).

If I get a permanent bad score, I'll do what I must to make up for it. I've got a 4.0 GPA and lots of shadowing and volunteering. A true passion for medicine and science. I feel prepared, but if I do bad on an exam again, I will consider voiding, but may still go for it if I feel confident.

In the end, it's best to take on great challenges than to never try.

Thank you very much for the CARS info.

Uh unfortunately medical schools see all scores and can do whatever they want to evaluate you (such as averaging scores). If you somehow tanked the exam and get a 490, even a 528 retake results in average of 509 which is just competitive for US MD. Of course schools can favor most recent score but who knows?

It's important to give this exam 100% effort the first time. You do not want to retake the exam again. Even if it means delaying a year to do well.

Uh unfortunately medical schools see all scores and can do whatever they want to evaluate you (such as averaging scores). If you somehow tanked the exam and get a 490, even a 528 retake results in average of 509 which is just competitive for US MD. Of course schools can favor most recent score but who knows?

It's important to give this exam 100% effort the first time. You do not want to retake the exam again. Even if it means delaying a year to do well.

True... The weird thing is, I started to do worse on CARS when I started to study for it. The first exam I took, CARS was my best section because I just kinda skimmed and just answered with my gut feelings (since I was kinda careless about how I'd do).
I know I have it in me to do well. I believe that being in a quiet testing environment and having the arousal of taking the real thing will make me do better in all sections.
I will study. Do a practice on Tuesday, with much fear of doing bad and we will see. I know I've exhausted by AAMC exams, but I kinda wasted them on poor times.

True... The weird thing is, I started to do worse on CARS when I started to study for it. The first exam I took, CARS was my best section because I just kinda skimmed and just answered with my gut feelings (since I was kinda careless about how I'd do).
I know I have it in me to do well. I believe that being in a quiet testing environment and having the arousal of taking the real thing will make me do better in all sections.
I will study. Do a practice on Tuesday, with much fear of doing bad and we will see. I know I've exhausted by AAMC exams, but I kinda wasted them on poor times.

Yeah I dont know, CARS has always been so strange for me too. I knew going in that I would struggle the most with this section and indeed I did (123 on first TPR prior to studying). After TPR I was actually hitting the 127 range on CARS practice tests (which was about a 127), with TPR CARS being notably more difficult than AAMC. But somehow on my most recent AAMC FL 1 my CARS was the lowest at 124 despite the fact that I genuinely thought it was so easy... Meanwhile my science subsections all held stable.

This is a thing. The Inner Game of Tennis is a famous book that a lot of non-tennis people read because it talks about how to "get in the zone". Counterintuitively, people don't seem to function at their best when they are super intense and consciously trying really hard. The book posits that the goal should be a state of "relaxed concentration". I think an example it gives is driving on the highway at night in the rain - you don't want to be hunched over, death-gripping the steering wheel, staring at the road in front of you. You sit back, have a firm grip but not too tight on the wheel, relax but be ready to react to whatever comes.

You may be psyching yourself out on CARS now ("I've spent so much time studying this I should be getting better"), where before you were more relaxed and able to focus more easily. Or maybe you just got lucky on the first exam, either way.

Uncertainty and vague questions are unavoidable. Sometimes trusting your instinct is necessary to do well. What's important is to avoid overthinking and complicating questions. Just answer straightforwardly and directly.

Uncertainty and vague questions are unavoidable. Sometimes trusting your instinct is necessary to do well. What's important is to avoid overthinking and complicating questions. Just answer straightforwardly and directly.

Yes. Tomorrow, I will do a CARS section where I revert back to just simply reading and answering each question to the best of my ability, never looking back. I looked over my test and I miss stuff because I'm seriously overthinking it. I should just choose answers that are explicitly in the passage instead of assuming they are trying to trick me. (but sometimes they are, but not most of the time)
I appreciate you, and everyone else, for giving advice. I believe I'll likely do well as I believe taking the test on 3 hours of sleep made the test a fluke. We'll see Tuesday.

This is a thing. The Inner Game of Tennis is a famous book that a lot of non-tennis people read because it talks about how to "get in the zone". Counterintuitively, people don't seem to function at their best when they are super intense and consciously trying really hard. The book posits that the goal should be a state of "relaxed concentration". I think an example it gives is driving on the highway at night in the rain - you don't want to be hunched over, death-gripping the steering wheel, staring at the road in front of you. You sit back, have a firm grip but not too tight on the wheel, relax but be ready to react to whatever comes.

You may be psyching yourself out on CARS now ("I've spent so much time studying this I should be getting better"), where before you were more relaxed and able to focus more easily. Or maybe you just got lucky on the first exam, either way.

According to Arousal Theory, we function best when we are in the middle of two extremes. Not aroused enough and we slack off. Too aroused and we make mistakes. CARS is probably raising my cortisol levels, so I just need to relax and read the passages like a book. (don't even have to read fast, just need to read one time through and answer questions quickly)

According to Arousal Theory, we function best when we are in the middle of two extremes. Not aroused enough and we slack off. Too aroused and we make mistakes. CARS is probably raising my cortisol levels, so I just need to relax and read the passages like a book. (don't even have to read fast, just need to read one time through and answer questions quickly)

I feel like it's fine to look back to check on things, I feel like I did that for around 1/2 the questions, but whatever works for you ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

When I took the MCATs that I did well on, I was focused, not tired, and not nervous.
I did not expect to do well, but I did my (somewhat) best.
Like I said, I was planning to do an MCAT today to counteract my bad score, but I think I'm burning myself out. I was jittery, nervous, and not focused so I stopped mid way through the chemical section. I could not even read the passages.

So I'm going to take it easy, learn from this on how to not be jittery on MCAT day, and take the MCAT like I did on the days I made a 507 and 506.
May go for a hike today. Do something fun.
The 499 score was me being too tired and agitated to take a test, not representative of how I ought to be on test day.
I believe taking another test will just make me tired of taking tests in such a short time frame and if I do not do that well on this one as well, my confidence is blown.
No need to prove anything to myself, I can do well. My last score was a demonstration of the importance of sleep and being in a good mood.
:p

Well, update. It is almost 3am. I have been in bed since 9pm trying to sleep. MCAT is at 8am. I don't even feel tired. I woke up at 5am yesterday. I do not understand. This never happens to me.
May try to take the exam anyway. May void it.. But that sets me back a year. So ridiculous that I can study hundreds of hours, but can't sleep the night before.

Well, update. It is almost 3am. I have been in bed since 9pm trying to sleep. MCAT is at 8am. I don't even feel tired. I woke up at 5am yesterday. I do not understand. This never happens to me.
May try to take the exam anyway. May void it.. But that sets me back a year. So ridiculous that I can study hundreds of hours, but can't sleep the night before.

Been there for that pre-MCAT insomnia. Definitely try to get some sleep. Good luck on your exam, and let us know how you feel afterwards!

On two hours! I know it's not going to be easy, but I'm going in with confidence. I've studied for this test for forever and I'm like high on cortisol and catecholamines.

Reactions: 2 users
Kind of the expected outcome, despite my self induced confidence, I decided to void the exam. I was okay for the first half, but I could not focus or read in the second half... But then I realized that I probably shouldn't have an exam graded on 2 hours of sleep. I can either retake it June 1st and apply a little late to schools or take the MCAT at the end of the summer and apply early next year.
Has anyone seriously done an MCAT on 2 hours of sleep? I found it to be near impossible toward the middle of the exam...

Kind of the expected outcome, despite my self induced confidence, I decided to void the exam. I was okay for the first half, but I could not focus or read in the second half... But then I realized that I probably shouldn't have an exam graded on 2 hours of sleep. I can either retake it June 1st and apply a little late to schools or take the MCAT at the end of the summer and apply early next year.
Has anyone seriously done an MCAT on 2 hours of sleep? I found it to be near impossible toward the middle of the exam...

I think it was extremely smart to not score the test, given you have a history of thinking the test was easy and then doing poorly on it when tired. Could have been dangerous to have that happen on the real thing.

Did you end up doing the hotel thing, or just hoped it would happen to be a quiet Friday at your apartment?

I think it was extremely smart to not score the test, given you have a history of thinking the test was easy and then doing poorly on it when tired. Could have been dangerous to have that happen on the real thing.

Did you end up doing the hotel thing, or just hoped it would happen to be a quiet Friday at your apartment?

yeah it's a good decision to avoid the exam. you need sufficient sleep the night before the exam because the real thing is draining. 2 hours are hardly anything and you were unprepared. use this void as a learning experience to do a lot better next time.

yeah it's a good decision to avoid the exam. you need sufficient sleep the night before the exam because the real thing is draining. 2 hours are hardly anything and you were unprepared. use this void as a learning experience to do a lot better next time.
Eh have an extraordinarily regimented sleep and I was not able to sleep the night before the test. 0 hours straight up.

I sat for the exam anyway and used how many questions I marked per section as an objective indicator of whether or not to void. Cortisol and adrenaline took me through the entire test and I crashed for a full day after. In practice tests I would mark any question I was not 1000% sure on and I did the same on the exam. This was enough to allow me to not void my real exam...worked out.

I recommend everyone to do the same using the marking functionality simply because it can provide much more objective insight.

Funny story, I got a hotel and the hotel was noisy despite me asking for a quiet room/area. Not doing the hotel thing again.

Eh have an extraordinarily regimented sleep and I was not able to sleep the night before the test. 0 hours straight up.

I sat for the exam anyway and used how many questions I marked per section as an objective indicator of whether or not to void. Cortisol and adrenaline took me through the entire test and I crashed for a full day after. In practice tests I would mark any question I was not 1000% sure on and I did the same on the exam. This was enough to allow me to not void my real exam...worked out.

I recommend everyone to do the same using the marking functionality simply because it can provide much more objective insight.

Maybe I could have pulled through, but I figured it was not worth the risk... good for you, but I'd argue that you'd have done much better if you had gotten sleep, even if your score was good enough.
I will take note of the mark idea, but I generally mark questions just to have a second look although I'm pretty certain I'm right. Some practice exams, I'd miss more unmarked questions than marked ones (it seemed).

The night before the MCAT was one of the worst experiences I've ever had. Constant anxiety because I could not sleep. I could not sleep because of anxiety. I'm also the kind of guy that never gets anxious about anything, so this took me by surprise.

Thank you everyone for the advice. I believe that voiding the exam was the best decision to make. It may be inconvenient, but I'm likely to do much better if I take this exam with enough sleep.
May try to use melatonin supplements or just hardly sleep until the night before the exam. Maybe both.
I'll have to think about if I want to take the MCAT this June or if I should just look to the future and take the MCAT at the end of the summer.
Issue with the June exam is that my application is a little late and it may be a waste of my money to apply to schools if my MCAT is not stellar.
Issue with the end of summer exam is that I know this stuff very well right now... I'm ready to take it and I'm only going to forget unless I keep studying. But I may be more prepared then than ever. But I don't want to take a gap year...
Any advice here is appreciated, but I know it is a tough call.

The night before the MCAT was one of the worst experiences I've ever had. Constant anxiety because I could not sleep. I could not sleep because of anxiety. I'm also the kind of guy that never gets anxious about anything, so this took me by surprise.

Thank you everyone for the advice. I believe that voiding the exam was the best decision to make. It may be inconvenient, but I'm likely to do much better if I take this exam with enough sleep.
May try to use melatonin supplements or just hardly sleep until the night before the exam. Maybe both.
I'll have to think about if I want to take the MCAT this June or if I should just look to the future and take the MCAT at the end of the summer.
Issue with the June exam is that my application is a little late and it may be a waste of my money to apply to schools if my MCAT is not stellar.
Issue with the end of summer exam is that I know this stuff very well right now... I'm ready to take it and I'm only going to forget unless I keep studying. But I may be more prepared then than ever. But I don't want to take a gap year...
Any advice here is appreciated, but I know it is a tough call.

Just my five cents, it sounds like second-guessing yourself due to wracked nerves as you get closer to test day may be taking a toll on your performance. I can attribute to this myself because I found that as test day got closer, I started doing horribly on practice sections that I'm typically strong in. It honestly came down to my support system, many of whom are fellow pre-meds encouraging me on my built skills and confidence.

Just my five cents, it sounds like second-guessing yourself due to wracked nerves as you get closer to test day may be taking a toll on your performance. I can attribute to this myself because I found that as test day got closer, I started doing horribly on practice sections that I'm typically strong in. It honestly came down to my support system, many of whom are fellow pre-meds encouraging me on my built skills and confidence.

I had friends and family encourage me. None of them are premeds or doctors though.
The weird thing is that I was not really freaking out, I just simply could not sleep. I attribute the unable to sleep with stress.
I think I've started to do bad because of burn out. I've been taking a practice exam every weekend before the test (as well as doing school, finals) and I got tired of it. This lead to a bad score on the final practice (that attributes to a lack of sleep as well) and on test day, I was not feeling it at all, I was tired... I'll do better next time after learning from this.

Also, I know the MCAT is like Fight Club. Never talk about the MCAT. So all I can say is that I'm glad I got to see what a real MCAT is like. I can tell why people do better on the real MCAT as oppose to practice exams.

Not sure if you guys care about this post anymore, but...

I took the MCAT and scored my test.
I was on a lack of sleep, but I did not want to void again.

I got my score back.
127/121/127/127 502

This is the lowest CARS score I've ever had.
Not sure what happened.
I've got to assume that the whole lack of sleep thing was an issue.

I will be working on my reading ability and retake the exam next Spring. Take a gap year.
I'll have plenty of time to read books and CARS passages. I did read CARS passages before this exam, but it seemed to have done nothing. (Would have not mattered if I studied CARS at all as my score implies I did not)

I'll apply to DO schools, but I don't think even DO would want a 121 CARS score.

Annoying that the CARS section still exists.
The other sections test critical thinking very well! This section just bores me to death.