Odds of getting in.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tyler0119

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I really am looking into becoming a DPM. I am bio major with a 3.47 cumlative gpa/3.2 science gpa but i had to retake some classes. These are my grades:

Biol I: B
Biol II: B
Biol I lab: B
Biol II lab: C
chem I: A
Chem I and II labs: A
Chem II:f then retook and got a A
Organic chem lab I and II: A
Organic chem I: A
Organic cem II: B
Physics Lab I and II: A
Physics I: A
Physics II: B
College algebra: f then retook to get a B
Precal: A
calculus:B

I was thinking about retaking my biol II lab over that i got a C in. Do you think that that would be a good idea?

I have taken other science classes (microbiology, genetics, animal physiology, etc) that I have all A and Bs in.

I dont know if this matters but I also participated in under grad research in an audiology research lab and worked in a lab under the chair of the department.

Members don't see this ad.

As long as you don't mess up your MCAT you're fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
where are you applying? What made you want to go into Podiatry? You look pretty good though, as long as you do well on the MCATs

thanks for the feedback. I really want to get into an area that i can specialize in and really become an expert at. I was thinking about becoming a general physician at one point in time but i feel like in that area i would not be able to perfect a particular craft. Having worked with my boss (who is an audiologist) i really liked how he had a depth of knowledge he had in that particular area (ear). Although I was not interested in audiology (the one i worked in was more of a genetics type research than your typical audiology/sound test lab), I def believed it furthered my interested in anatomy and physiology in general. i learned basic research that could cross across many areas (electrophor., olgios, etc). i also saw how being a doctor that specializes in a particular field and the ability to conduct research, benefits patients. so i started looking into areas that are more "specific". I was also a divsion I athlete so i also like how i would have the option of specializing in sports medicine in this particular field and have an opportunity working with athletes again. Although im not 100% sure that this is what i want to do as a career, i am doing my research on it to make sure that i have the right personal characteristics to become a DPM, that i am making the right choice and that this profession would benefit from with me being apart of it.

For those of you who go into a school or current students, what characteristics (besides the ability to get good grades) would you say makes a great DPM?

thanks for the feedback. I really want to get into an area that i can specialize in and really become an expert at. I was thinking about becoming a general physician at one point in time but i feel like in that area i would not be able to perfect a particular craft. Having worked with my boss (who is an audiologist) i really liked how he had a depth of knowledge he had in that particular area (ear). Although I was not interested in audiology (the one i worked in was more of a genetics type research than your typical audiology/sound test lab), I def believed it furthered my interested in anatomy and physiology in general. i learned basic research that could cross across many areas (electrophor., olgios, etc). i also saw how being a doctor that specializes in a particular field and the ability to conduct research, benefits patients. so i started looking into areas that are more "specific". I was also a divsion I athlete so i also like how i would have the option of specializing in sports medicine in this particular field and have an opportunity working with athletes again. Although im not 100% sure that this is what i want to do as a career, i am doing my research on it to make sure that i have the right personal characteristics to become a DPM, that i am making the right choice and that this profession would benefit from with me being apart of it.

For those of you who go into a school or current students, what characteristics (besides the ability to get good grades) would you say makes a great DPM?

that's a loaded question. good grades, yeah..but being able to use that in a clinical setting..is key. being a team player and treating everyone with respect-from teachers, to students, to other healthcare workers and patients..compassion..and doing what you can to uphold the profession. there are a few students that seem to be born to be a doctor, but that's not the norm. there's not an intrinsic ability, except the drive and desire to work hard, constantly learn and improve, and having some degree of humility. but don't worry about that now, man. just apply, get in, and be the superstar pod you can be -without slitting the throats of the students around you. lol.