Odds of getting into a good school?

Started by akmedic
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

akmedic

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I used to post in here around a year ago, I went quieter to focus up on classes and improving my GPA (at the time it was a 2.15, lots of work to do). I have since taken one semester of full classes and was able to get my first 4.00 semester GPA, bringing it up to a 2.75 overall.

Big question for me is that I was accepted into Arizona State University for this fall. I was considering passing on ASU and staying here for 1 more year at community college, get the grades to work up that GPA over a 3.00 and try to apply to a few better schools. What would the odds of me getting into a top 50 school maybe. Like UMich or UT or something like that? I know my GPA is low, but considering I had a bad GPA before, took a year off of school and come back and have 2 semesters of real good grades, would that help at all or am I putting too much into just 2 semesters?
 
I used to post in here around a year ago, I went quieter to focus up on classes and improving my GPA (at the time it was a 2.15, lots of work to do). I have since taken one semester of full classes and was able to get my first 4.00 semester GPA, bringing it up to a 2.75 overall.

Big question for me is that I was accepted into Arizona State University for this fall. I was considering passing on ASU and staying here for 1 more year at community college, get the grades to work up that GPA over a 3.00 and try to apply to a few better schools. What would the odds of me getting into a top 50 school maybe. Like UMich or UT or something like that? I know my GPA is low, but considering I had a bad GPA before, took a year off of school and come back and have 2 semesters of real good grades, would that help at all or am I putting too much into just 2 semesters?

No chance for a Top 50 and staying at a CC to work on GPA will not be in your favor.

Take the acceptance to ASU. Proving you can handle rigors of a four year university vs a CC is always better (although up to you to make the grades happen).
 
Do you mean get into a top 50 to finish your undergrad, or top 50 medical school? Because if it's the latter, the A's at a community college would not really help (unless you get like a 520+ on your MCAT, and even then).