ODS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

averageasian

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’ll be graduating hopefully in May 2022.

with Covid I am behind in clinic so it’s probably not realistic for me to leave school for 5 weeks to do ODS.

how long after graduating do I have to complete ODS?

also do you need an unused ADT to do ODS? I have already used my 2021 ADT for school orders.

There is a class that starts May 8 2022 and Jun 12 2022. Thanks for any help and advice!

Members don't see this ad.

I started ODS the day after graduation from dental school. That said, some have to sit around for 2-3 months after graduation waiting for a class to start, sometimes all the way until August. Some classes will prioritize people who are trying to make it on time for a residency start date. If you’re doing a credentialing tour, you might have to take a back seat.

Big Hoss

Reactions: 1 user
Also, if you’re looking to get out of the Navy to do a civilian specialty residency, it will be in your best interest to get into an ODS class that starts no later than July in order to make sure you have minimal issues getting out on time.

Big Hoss

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
@Big Time Hoosier thanks! I think you know my plan by now.....

will I use my fourth year ADT for that June ODS? Or will ODS be part of the beginning of my payback?

I heard that if you do ODS after graduating it gets written in as part of your first orders and counts as payback

This page seems to have some good stuff on it that should help:
"ODS must be done prior to starting active duty. If you will be attending ODS AFTER graduation, your detailer will schedule ODS as part of your orders to active duty. Please contact your detailer for more information." Detailer will have all of these answers for you.

It has been a minute, but it really depends on when you get your orders stamped. Are your orders to ODS and your first duty station the same as that might be your saving grace? I completed my ODS between D1 and D2 so I didn't have that issue. Hope it turns out for the best and welcome to the DHA... I mean Navy.

On a separate note:
Really want to emphasize what @Big Time Hoosier said about the July 1 thing. You can literally screw yourself for a full year if you want to do a civilian residency and have not paid back your time. It was a question I was asked at several different schools when interviewing, if I had completed my obligated service in AD and could start on time.

@SirBrotherJam Thank you for that! Very helpful.

Id like to go during school but I already signed up for ADT starting in Feb as I just dont see it possible to make it before i graduate.

Looks like my fate rests in hands of the Gods responsible for paperwork and orders. As of now, I would like to go to ortho residency after. Fingers crossed!

Let’s say your ADSO is up in July, could you use any terminal leave to make it residency on time and avoid waiting a year to start? @Big Time Hoosier @FutureDent020 @SirBrotherJam

I just spoke with my school and they 100% will not allow ODS before graduation. I’m not able to sign up for the June or July 2022 ODS courses until my detailer reaches out and writes them in for me.

Let’s say your ADSO is up in July, could you use any terminal leave to make it residency on time and avoid waiting a year to start? @Big Time Hoosier @FutureDent020 @SirBrotherJam

I just spoke with my school and they 100% will not allow ODS before graduation. I’m not able to sign up for the June or July 2022 ODS courses until my detailer reaches out and writes them in for me.
You could.. but risky.

I believe, don’t quote me here, if you start ODS anytime in July, you can request then to separate on July 1st when the time comes. Whether that happens is up to your CO. Definitely save up for terminal leave. You’ll also need to have leave banked for interview season. Try your best to snag a spot in the June class.

Big Hoss

Sorry, just seeing this. Other guys hit on it pretty well. “Could... but risky” sounds about right. Depends on what command you are at, how smoothly the separation process goes which can be completely out of your control, the detailer, and the residency program. All can be strict and not budge much. You’ll have to have a lot go your way to make that happen, but I assume it’s possible. It’ll be stressful though. I stayed an extra year in the Navy to make the residency transition a bit easier and less stressful. I don’t regret it.

Thanks everyone! I know needs of the Navy come first and I volunteered for this but I hope it all works out in the end.

Unfortunate way the Navy does things is ODS, but if you can do ODS sometime the summer between 3rd and 4th year it's BEST. Especially if you want to specialize. If you need a list of items to bring and some loopholes in the system while you're there let me know.

Got assigned to the July 24th ODS class this year. Does this mean even when I separate in 2026 I won’t be able to make it to residency until 2027? Or is there a way to make this work.

@Big Time Hoosier @SirBrotherJam @FutureDent020
I think that you will be able to request to separate on 01JUL2026. So, save up 30 days of leave to use as terminal leave to give yourself a cushion. You'll also want to save up a fair amount of leave for interview season, as you'll burn through a lot there. I know a guy who didn't start ODS until late August and he still was able to figure out how to get out in time to start an endo residency on July 1st. He was liked by the Command, so I think they helped him out. I also saw someone get kind of hosed because they didn't have enough leave saved for terminal, but that was his fault. It was entirely preventable. His program wasn't happy to find out he'd miss the first week or two of residency. JUST SAVE YOUR LEAVE!

Big Hoss

Last edited:
Save your leave. Not uncommon to take 30 days separation leave at the end. That would give you a chance if your PD and command are understanding.
I think that you will be able to request to separate on 01JUL2026. So, save up 30 days of leave to use as terminal leave to give yourself a cushion. You'll also want to save up a fair amount of leave for interview season, as you'll burn through a lot there. I know a guy who didn't start ODS until late August and he still was able to figure out how to get out in time to start an endo residency on July 1st. He was liked by the Command, so I think they helped him out. I also saw someone get kind of hosed because they didn't have enough leave saved for terminal, but that was his fault. It was entirely preventable. His program wasn't happy to find out he'd miss the first week or two of residency. JUST SAVE YOUR LEAVE!

Big Hoss
This year, applying to PGY-1 was mandatory so all the June spots were given to those folks who were accepted.

Going to save as many leave days as possible so I can exit in time to hopefully start ortho residency in 2026!