oec programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clowndoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi out there,

i am starting to apply to ortho residencies. Does anyone out there know the pros and cons of the OEC program. And also I've heard they are going down hill. let me know.

thanks,
clowndoc

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone know if OEC is going bankrupt?

Heard from a VERY good source that as of 12 noon Tuesday they had declared bankruptcy. They are not funding the UNLV or Colorado programs anymore. Not sure if they are funding the Jacksonville program for future years. Don't think I would do OEC right now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Jediwendell said:
Heard from a VERY good source that as of 12 noon Tuesday they had declared bankruptcy. They are not funding the UNLV or Colorado programs anymore. Not sure if they are funding the Jacksonville program for future years. Don't think I would do OEC right now.

What does it mean? We are free to apply for those schools without any obligation? Could you confirm these?

Jediwendell said:

Are you serious?

cuneatus2 said:
Are you serious?

BTW, Can I apply for those OEC schools not choosing OEC stipend? Or all automatically come with OEC obligation. Plz, let me know

dmd2006 said:
What does it mean? We are free to apply for those schools without any obligation? Could you confirm these?

Those schools are FUNDED by OEC, so without OEC they don't HAVE ortho programs. So, if what the other poster said is true, then those programs won't even exist anymore.

I go to UNLV and from what I have been told, unofficially, they are still going to have the program, in fact they are dedicating more clinic space for the residents right now. They are even going to still have 16 residents (which is a TON in my opinion) and I think they are going to try to compensate for the lost funds by increasing tuition by quite a bit (~50% increase from what it is now [$30,000 increased to ~45,000])

Regardless of what is going to happen to these progrmas or OEC, I don't think that I would to OEC-affiliated schools because of the instability, even for a non-OEC spot.

Jediwendell, is there anywhere official that we can read about their bankruptcy?

indeep said:
I go to UNLV and from what I have been told, unofficially, they are still going to have the program, in fact they are dedicating more clinic space for the residents right now. They are even going to still have 16 residents (which is a TON in my opinion) and I think they are going to try to compensate for the lost funds by increasing tuition by quite a bit (~50% increase from what it is now [$30,000 increased to ~45,000])

Regardless of what is going to happen to these progrmas or OEC, I don't think that I would to OEC-affiliated schools because of the instability, even for a non-OEC spot.

Jediwendell, is there anywhere official that we can read about their bankruptcy?

I don't know, man. You are probably closer to it than I am. I would be very wary of the patient inflow and the tuition. I don't see how they can provide enough cases for 16 residents while charging enough money to make it profitable. If you want OEC or UNLV though, you should go for it. Sounds great.