1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

oec programs

Discussion in 'Dental Residents and Practicing Dentists' started by clowndoc, Jul 20, 2006.

1. clowndoc

clowndoc New Member

Dental Student
    Hi out there,

i am starting to apply to ortho residencies. Does anyone out there know the pros and cons of the OEC program. And also I've heard they are going down hill. let me know.

thanks,
    clowndoc

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ortho08

ortho08 New Member

Anyone know if OEC is going bankrupt?

4. Jediwendell

Jediwendell Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Heard from a VERY good source that as of 12 noon Tuesday they had declared bankruptcy. They are not funding the UNLV or Colorado programs anymore. Not sure if they are funding the Jacksonville program for future years. Don't think I would do OEC right now.

5. dmd2006

dmd2006 Member
    7+ Year Member

What does it mean? We are free to apply for those schools without any obligation? Could you confirm these?

6. cuneatus2

cuneatus2 Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Are you serious?

7. dmd2006

dmd2006 Member
    7+ Year Member

BTW, Can I apply for those OEC schools not choosing OEC stipend? Or all automatically come with OEC obligation. Plz, let me know

8. ItsGavinC

Dentist Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

Dentist
    Those schools are FUNDED by OEC, so without OEC they don't HAVE ortho programs. So, if what the other poster said is true, then those programs won't even exist anymore.

9. indeep

indeep Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I go to UNLV and from what I have been told, unofficially, they are still going to have the program, in fact they are dedicating more clinic space for the residents right now. They are even going to still have 16 residents (which is a TON in my opinion) and I think they are going to try to compensate for the lost funds by increasing tuition by quite a bit (~50% increase from what it is now [$30,000 increased to ~45,000])

Regardless of what is going to happen to these progrmas or OEC, I don't think that I would to OEC-affiliated schools because of the instability, even for a non-OEC spot.

Jediwendell, is there anywhere official that we can read about their bankruptcy?

10. Jediwendell

Jediwendell Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I don't know, man. You are probably closer to it than I am. I would be very wary of the patient inflow and the tuition. I don't see how they can provide enough cases for 16 residents while charging enough money to make it profitable. If you want OEC or UNLV though, you should go for it. Sounds great.