Dr. Kulkarni

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 5, 2002
Visit site
Status (Visible)
hey,

is it a bad thing to send in "too" many letter of lecs? i'll have 7 on file and was wondering if i should send them all to each of the schools? thanks

Rhea

New York University '07
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 20, 2002
CA
Visit site
Status (Visible)
My school had told me that all the letters I got from faculty would get attached to the committee letter and hence, count as ONE letter. Then I could include a letter from a dentist, or employer making the total 3.

So, I sent in my committee letter with letters from 3 faculty, one from a dentist, and 3 from ex-employers. But, when I called AADSAS, they told there's a total of 8 letters that they are sending out. I know that's too many, but I cannot help it now. I am just hoping the schools will not look negatively at my sending in so many letters.

About the Ads

DesiDentist

G. S. Khurana, DMD, MBA
Moderator Emeritus
Vendor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 21, 2001
Washington, DC
www.facebook.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
you gotta do what you gotta do. This is a fierce battle, if the more you have the better then so be it. Also, it's not our fault that the ADA or ADEA hasn't put up a systemized system for letters. All schools that are through AADSAS should set up a system that outlines general rules for letters. I think, one science, one non-science and one dentist is the way to go. However, there are schools that are picky that want only 3 science, or one from biology and one from chemistry. So they can't blame us for sending in 6+ letters. Each school has different requirements. I could have seperated them out, but I was like "hey, I got 6 so I'm going to send six, they can pick and choose which ones they want to read."

Honestly, getting LOR's was probably the most frustrating and tiring experience of my pre-dent life next to studying for the DAT.

Just one more step to go...

DesiDentist

sjdent

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 17, 2002
Visit site
Status (Visible)
Actually, I would try to narrow it down to five at the MOST. I think 7 is too many.

The only reason is that you don't want to come across as trying too hard, trying to brag, etc. You probably have a pretty good idea of who will give you the most stand-out LOR's of those 7 individuals.

Choose a professor (who loved you and thought you were very bright), an employer (who thought you were extremely hard-working), and if you have it.....a dentist you shadowed/worked for (and found you to be interested, helpful, and inquisitive).

DesiDentist

G. S. Khurana, DMD, MBA
Moderator Emeritus
Vendor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 21, 2001
Washington, DC
www.facebook.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
I somewhat agree with sjdent. I remember my admissions director at U.Washington told us that sending too many LOR's illustrates a lack of confidence in your other application. Like sjdent says, "trying to hard." The adcom only has a couple of minutes to review the LORs some don't look at them until the day or even at the interview. But in my case, each one of the six letters I gave was crucial to my app. I included one work, one english prof, one dentist, one dental prof, and two science (chem/ochem). But I wouldn't worry too much about it though.

DesiDentist

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads