% of premeds who get in to Med School???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlueAvocado

Long Journey Ahead!
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what's the official Statistic of how many premeds actually get into a Med School every year. I am just curios, trying to bump up my hopes, Hopefully like 50 % or more.

Members don't see this ad.

I think that its actually a little less than 50%. I read it somewhere, maybe someone else can give us some official numbers though.

the reality is a little under 50%

go to the AAMC website, you can find the info either in the applying or deciding section of the site.

they have all kinds of stats by state, ethnicity, etc....

Members don't see this ad :)
I read something about how the number of applicants this year is down, and that the application to acceptance ration is somewhere around 2:1. I think it was on Newsweek Online or the CNN website - if you have time you might want to see if you can find te article. Hope that helps!

That question is hard to answer. While roughly half of the people who apply get accepted, that doesn't take into account the premeds who ultimately didn't apply because their #s weren't good enough, or who dropped out along the way. I've notice that there are always more freshmen premeds than sophmores, sophmores than juniors, etc.

tru, I would say that based on freshman premed numbers, less than 10% of anyone who has ever declared themselves a "pre-med" ever makes it to med school..