1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

# of Residencies to Apply To

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by HopefulDoc1984, Dec 29, 2008.

1. HopefulDoc1984

5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    I was just curious as to how many programs most people apply to. It seems like it would be very expensive and time consuming with interviews to apply to many programs.

Also, do most people apply to more than one specialty? I would be happy working in a couple different fields so it would make sense to apply to a couple different specialties.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ShyRem

ShyRem I need more coffee.
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Moving to Osteopathic forum.

4. bigDinLV

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    You can apply to more than one. Just make sure you write specific personal statements for each specialty. Have your LOR's be specialty specific too. It is always great in a letter if they can say why you will be such a great ER doc, anesthesiologist, or you get the point...

When you interview they are going to ask you why you want to be a (fill in the blank). I just don't feel that it comes across good to say you would be happy in their specialty, or another, or this other one. So when you answer this question, act like that specialty is the only one in the world you could even consider.

One of my very first interviews, one of the docs asked if I had a back up plan or if there is anything else I could do... Unfortunately I was honest and said I had some back up plans in another specialty.. Her reply - I guess you don't really know where you want to end up then do you? This program has made their contacts to the people they wanted to take, needless to say I wasn't one of them.

The correct answer would have been - if I don't match then I will scramble into an internship and reapply next year.

5. nathanhartgrove

Medical Student
    if you haven't already, i'd check out NRMP.org
    it's really handy at the technical info for how the match works, and it has some data about past matches and the trends therein