# of schools to apply to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fruity_trident

in lala land
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey there,
i feel that i'm extremely NOT competitive with my measly 3.3gpa and 18-21 DAT scores.
i've got extracirricular, varsity, shadowing, volunteer, research to help my process... so my question is how many schools should i apply to?

i have 11 (USA) & 5 (CAN) in mind ... too many? i had 20 US schools to begin with but my sister flipped out and told me to stop being an idiot. i just really want to get into a dental school...so the more i apply to... the higher the chance of acceptance?.....?
*hopefully*

i can't beleive ppl have applied and are waitin on responses already! i thought i was an early bird...(i got everything filled out on AASDAS, but profs are writing recommendations now) but i guess not! gdluck future class of 2009

Members don't see this ad.

i have 11 (USA) & 5 (CAN) in mind ... too many? i had 20 US schools to begin with but my sister flipped out and told me to stop being an idiot. i just really want to get into a dental school...so the more i apply to... the higher the chance of acceptance?.....?
*hopefully*

Don't flip, just get in that app asap....your stats are competitive, and the schools you've selected should be plenty! Good luck!

WHat canadian schools are you considering cause with those marks, I see your application being thrown out right away, so why bother and save the money on the application fees....

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr.BadVibes said:
WHat canadian schools are you considering cause with those marks, I see your application being thrown out right away, so why bother and save the money on the application fees....

I KNOW! DOESN'T THAT SUCK? dammit...i'm canadian... i "must" try....

Look...Im not gonna tell you what to do, but I am gonna tell you that you have no chance at getting acceptence...

If I were you, I would email all the 5 Canadian schools you are thinking of applying to and telling them your exact honest stats...Im pretty sure that they will reply to you telling you that you have no chance and to save your money....

In Ontario, people with 3.7 and 20+ DATs were getting waitlisted last year...

fruity_trident said:
I KNOW! DOESN'T THAT SUCK? dammit...i'm canadian... i "must" try....

and one more thing, dont say "damnit, Im Canadian"....I would say "damnit, Im Canadian and I wanna be a dentist"...otherwise, being Canadian is WONDERFUL and anyone around the world will tell you so :thumbup:

i got scolded, thanks tattlers.

uhh we're not trying to start up a fight here.
anyways... mr bad vibes... yes i mean.i'm canadian and i want to be a dentist.

thanks for the advice..i should email them straight up!
thanks.

that'll save me what $500?

why are canadian schools harder to get in to?

OP: you should get into Dental school, you are competitive. I wouldn't worry so much. The question is which dental school, and how important it is to be selective.

UMDeeMan said:
ahh no, did you win 103 olympic medals??? no. your country is not cool. i'm sorry you had to come to our country to come to d-school (temple). stay in canada, you have no right to bash the US if yo come here to go to school. for real (snap).

So you mean that you win more medals than us, you are somehow better? Ummmm, yah.....remember dude, you have almost 10X the population of Canada, so doesnt it make sense that you win more medals than us?

Also, when did I bash the US?

onetoothleft said:
why are canadian schools harder to get in to?

Simple answer....numbers!

Lets face it...most science undergrads in any country wants to become a doctor/dentist/other health professional. No other jobs, just doctors. However, with a population of only 30 million, Canada doesnt need the tens of thousands of wannabe dentists/doctors out there....so there are only 10 dental schools in the entire country to satisfy the needs of the population and only the population. THat is why it is difficult to get into and most students must look elsewhere. Sheer numbers.

Dr.BadVibes said:

Lets face it...most science undergrads in any country wants to become a doctor/dentist/other health professional. No other jobs, just doctors. However, with a population of only 30 million, Canada doesnt need the tens of thousands of wannabe dentists/doctors out there....so there are only 10 dental schools in the entire country to satisfy the needs of the population and only the population. THat is why it is difficult to get into and most students must look elsewhere. Sheer numbers.

Canada: 30 million population and 10 dental schools
US: about 300 million population and 55 dental schools

Hmmm... I'd say it's harder to get into dental school in US.

:D

the 10 schools in Canada add up to about 300 spots.
the 55 schools in US add up to about 4000 spots

fruity trident, i suggest you tell us which schools you plan on applying to first.
If I were you I wouldn;t apply in canada, and the US would apply to approx 3 schools that you probably will not get into but want to go to, 3 schools you know you have a good shot at, and 3 schools to fall back on.

Members don't see this ad :)
amanmann said:
fruity trident, i suggest you tell us which schools you plan on applying to first.
If I were you I wouldn;t apply in canada, and the US would apply to approx 3 schools that you probably will not get into but want to go to, 3 schools you know you have a good shot at, and 3 schools to fall back on.

columbia, vcu, texas S.A., tufts, SUNY stonybrook, maryland, UNC, casewestern, baylor, howard, Nova SU

fruity_trident said:
columbia, vcu, texas S.A., tufts, SUNY stonybrook, maryland, UNC, casewestern, baylor, howard, Nova SU

I think that you need to be honest with yourself and do some research when applying to schools. I'm not trying to bring you down, but rather save you time, money and frustration during this process. I can only speak for UNC, but I have a feeling this holds true for a few schools on that list. I'm not sure if you're aware that UNC only accepts about 10% out of state students. Usually about half or so of those are students from BYU who usually have superior stats. I know that the gpa and DATs for out of staters here is extremely competitive. To be honest, your stats would be borderline even if you were an in-state applicant. I think you should rethink some of the schools you are applying to if you truly want to get into a dental school.

amanmann said:
the 10 schools in Canada add up to about 300 spots.
the 55 schools in US add up to about 4000 spots

OK, assuming that your number is correct.
Which means that 1 out of 100,000 will get in (Canada) compares to 1 out of 75,000 (US).
But, remember that some of the US spots (not negligible number) are taken by Canadians and other foreigners. So, that 75,000 number could be higher.

DcS said:
I think that you need to be honest with yourself and do some research when applying to schools. I'm not trying to bring you down, but rather save you time, money and frustration during this process. I can only speak for UNC, but I have a feeling this holds true for a few schools on that list. I'm not sure if you're aware that UNC only accepts about 10% out of state students. Usually about half or so of those are students from BYU who usually have superior stats. I know that the gpa and DATs for out of staters here is extremely competitive. To be honest, your stats would be borderline even if you were an in-state applicant. I think you should rethink some of the schools you are applying to if you truly want to get into a dental school.

DcS has a point! As a Canadian, your best chances are from private intstitutions, like BU or NYU.

i have done research... i have the average GPAs and average DAT scores...but what u're telling me is helpful. thanks.

nyu costs 2 arms, 2 legs and all my internal organs!

i just read in the columbia 2008 post that there was someone who got in with a 3.1 and 18's for DATs.
i am by NO MEANS saying i will get in...hence it is my "dream" school...but i think it's worth a shot.

so definately state schools are out of the question?
louisville no?
alabama no?

what are your thoughts on me trying for temple, creighton, NOVA SU, SIU, etc?

thanks for ur help everyone!

fruity_trident said:
i have done research... i have the average GPAs and average DAT scores...but what u're telling me is helpful. thanks.

nyu costs 2 arms, 2 legs and all my internal organs!

i just read in the columbia 2008 post that there was someone who got in with a 3.1 and 18's for DATs.
i am by NO MEANS saying i will get in...hence it is my "dream" school...but i think it's worth a shot.

so definately state schools are out of the question?
louisville no?
alabama no?

what are your thoughts on me trying for temple, creighton, NOVA SU, SIU, etc?

thanks for ur help everyone!

Hey...your stats are good and you will get in somewhere...I was just saying to save your money and dont bother applying in Canada.....as for the US...you definitely have a great chance at Temple, NOva, BU, NYU, and of course, your dream school, Columbia (barf)....so dont worry

bigsmile said:
Canada: 30 million population and 10 dental schools
US: about 300 million population and 55 dental schools

Hmmm... I'd say it's harder to get into dental school in US.

Umm...actually, its not that easy...in Ontario, there are only 2 dental schools with a combined 100 seats...thats less than my entire class at Temple for the most populated province in Canada....also, the two Ontario schools have no provincial requirements, so everyone has a fair chance to those schools....

Also, out of the 10 dental schools in Canada, I dont think none of them has over 50 seats each....McGill has only 35!!!!

With me saying that people with 3.8 and 20+ DATs are getting waitlisted in Canada, why would you say its harder in the US to get accepted when obviously this is not the case....

Dr.BadVibes said:
...With me saying that people with 3.8 and 20+ DATs are getting waitlisted in Canada, why would you say its harder in the US to get accepted when obviously this is not the case....

I have to agree with Dr.BV on this one. With Canada it is a numbers game that contributes to the greater degree of difficulty. Although I am not Canadian I have seen the numbers for Canadian dental schools and have been shocked by them. Then I saw the number of seats versus the number applicants and it made sense. Fruity_trident, go ahead and contact those Canadian dental schools and ask for their honest opinion. Doing so will clear up any confusion that you may have and erase the possibility of playing the "what-if" game ldown the road. Best of luck! :thumbup:

Sprgrover said:
Fruity_trident, go ahead and contact those Canadian dental schools and ask for their honest opinion. Doing so will clear up any confusion that you may have and erase the possibility of playing the "what-if" game ldown the road. Best of luck! :thumbup:

i did today. i'm pleased with their speedy response..well at least @ sask & alberta.
i know i won't get into canadian dental schools..and that's fine...and i'm happy that i took advice from this thread about emailing the school!..here's what they said:
alberta:
**I would suggest that a higher GPA than 3.3 be achieved and that the DAT scores of 20 or higher in all three components be achieved.

All applicants are ranked according to the overall rank score. 30% of the
pre-requisite GPA; 30% of the overall academic GPA; 30% of the DAT results
and 10% of the interview equals the overall rank score. **

sask:
**Please note that a 3.3 GPA is equivalent to 78%. To be competitive,
applicants should strive for at least an 82% (3.7) average. The
two-year average is worth 65% of your total admission score, the DAT is
worth 25% and the interview score is worth 10%. Based on the DAT
information you provided, your score is 18.25 (50% Reading Comp, 25%
Perceptual Ability, 25% Carving). The range for accepted out of
province applicants this year was 17.875 - 22.25.
Please note that extra-curricular and volunteer activities are not
factored into your admission score. **

what bugs me most about most canadian dent school is that they don't care about ANYTHING other than scholastic aptitude! ya, u can remember a textbook...but if u're an introverted freak who can't communicate properly...how the hell can u be a good dentist?!!! - end of rant -

thanks for your help mr BV & sprgover.
btw mr BV, did u go to UofT? cuz i'm @ st. george. damn damn damn!!

fruity_trident said:
i did today. i'm pleased with their speedy response..well at least @ sask & alberta.
i know i won't get into canadian dental schools..and that's fine...and i'm happy that i took advice from this thread about emailing the school!..here's what they said:
alberta:
**I would suggest that a higher GPA than 3.3 be achieved and that the DAT scores of 20 or higher in all three components be achieved.

All applicants are ranked according to the overall rank score. 30% of the
pre-requisite GPA; 30% of the overall academic GPA; 30% of the DAT results
and 10% of the interview equals the overall rank score. **

sask:
**Please note that a 3.3 GPA is equivalent to 78%. To be competitive,
applicants should strive for at least an 82% (3.7) average. The
two-year average is worth 65% of your total admission score, the DAT is
worth 25% and the interview score is worth 10%. Based on the DAT
information you provided, your score is 18.25 (50% Reading Comp, 25%
Perceptual Ability, 25% Carving). The range for accepted out of
province applicants this year was 17.875 - 22.25.
Please note that extra-curricular and volunteer activities are not
factored into your admission score. **

what bugs me most about most canadian dent school is that they don't care about ANYTHING other than scholastic aptitude! ya, u can remember a textbook...but if u're an introverted freak who can't communicate properly...how the hell can u be a good dentist?!!! - end of rant -

thanks for your help mr BV & sprgover.
btw mr BV, did u go to UofT? cuz i'm @ st. george. damn damn damn!!

IM glad you are getting the same answers I assumed straight from the horse's mouth...now take that money you will save by not applying to canadian schools and apply to some more US schools to pad up your application...

BY the way, yes I did goto UofT and I feel your pain

fruity_trident said:

As an out-of-state with the GPA and DAT you mentioned you'd not get a look at UTSA, UNC and Baylor. You look reasonably good at Nova, Tufts, VCU, Howard and Maryland. Also, despite what one other poster said about your credentials, you'd be well-qualified for his program (Temple) from a numbers perspective; I know 6 or 7 guys who matriculated there over the past three years with similar numbers to yours. And for what it's worth, I have two Canadians in my class who said they'd much prefer to attend a US school. I don't know if it's the climate, the program, or what. Just what they've said.

jpollei said:
Also, despite what one other poster said about your credentials, you'd be well-qualified for his program (Temple) from a numbers perspective; I know 6 or 7 guys who matriculated there over the past three years with similar numbers to yours.

Jesus CHrist, when you people bash me, why dont you read my posts first, then bash me. If you did read my post, I stated that the OP had a great chance at Temple....Temple is really not that difficult to get accepted....hey jpollei, what was your DAT RC score?

fruity_trident said:

Save your money and don't bother with SUNY Stony Brook. Stony rarely ever takes non-New Yorker applicants, let alone Canadians.

You can forget about UTSA and Baylor as well-- They give Texans top priority.

And unless you are a minority (i.e. African American), it would be difficult to get into Howard.

HTH.

Dr.BadVibes said:
Jesus CHrist, when you people bash me, why dont you read my posts first, then bash me. If you did read my post, I stated that the OP had a great chance at Temple....Temple is really not that difficult to get accepted....hey jpollei, what was your DAT RC score?

yeah, i'm the only one who gets scolded though. you should run to the moderator and report this.

Anyone have any experience being a Canadian and applying to American Schools? Maybe their chances are better with American schools knowing how few Canadian schools there are.

jpollei & UBTom

thank you for your blunt responses. i NEED these..otherwise i'll be applying to 50 schools right now.

so i've ruled out UTSA, SUNYstonybrook, UNC & Baylor

ok my new list:

columbia, vcu, tufts, NYU, maryland, casewestern, pittsburg, howard, Nova SU, temple, creighton, pacific

for ppl new reading this post, i have ~3.3 gpa & 18-21 DAT scores. research, varsity, student council, volunteer, shadowing.
just wanna know how many schools to apply to...and which ones i have a shot at..or rather which ones i should not waste my application money on!

thanks!!!

id eliminate howard and insert BU or Temple

by the way are you applying for 2005? if u are than you might want to look into which schools start their whole interviewing processes earlier, and you probably shoudlnt apply to them, for example Case has been interviewing since early august

As a Canadian, and a survivor of applying and being rejected by my own provincial dental school (snif :( ), I can honestly say that yes, it is much harder to get into a Can school. Everyone has made a valid point regarding the huge emphasis on high GPAs (and don't believe Can dental schools like Alberta when they say that you must have at least a 3.3, the truth is that 3.3 is too low, but it sure as hec brings in revenue when people like myself apply). WHat I like the best about US schools is that they allow you to present a personal aspect of yourself through the essay and the interview. In Can, our interviews are done in the CDA style - that is, there are set questions that everyone gets and it is more like a panel of 2 interviewers who stare at you and really don't give you much feedback. Conversation is pretty much one way. Also, our questions are more situational. With that said, I am really greatful to the US!

and Trident - get your application in ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!!

i applied to 15..
which was a HUGE waste of money.

but..
i did not want to take any chances of not getting accepted..somewhere...that year.

so..
if u are going to screw up on the ...i guess it is better to apply to too many schools...than not enough.

Dr.BadVibes said:
hey jpollei, what was your DAT RC score?

LMAO...probably somewhere b/w 26-29 i'd say.

Dr.BadVibes said:

No, Canada is seriously understaffed for doctors, but as I'm sure you know they are increasing seats at pre-existing schools and opening new ones. Though this is still not yet sufficiently correcting the shortage.

However, I think I agree with you about the number of dental schools. I'm not really sure how dentists are, but I don't think I've ever had longer than a 5 business day wait to see one with appointment.