Off Campus living

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MuraRX

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you that live off-campus and go back home for the summer, how do you handle the furniture situation? Do you rent furniture or do you lug it all back and forth every Fall?

Members don't see this ad.

hahahaha, seriously? You aren't required to sign a lease for a year? Isn't that the whole point of living off campus, you pay less than on-campus and get better digs, but you're bound to a lease and you have to either sublet or throw away your rent money on a place you're not physically at?

Maybe living in an urban area with ridiculous housing prices has jaded me or something.

Rent a furnished apartment.

I haven't gone home for the summer in 10 years or so, but that's what I did as an undergrad.

Members don't see this ad :)
hahahaha, seriously? You aren't required to sign a lease for a year? Isn't that the whole point of living off campus, you pay less than on-campus and get better digs, but you're bound to a lease and you have to either sublet or throw away your rent money on a place you're not physically at?

Maybe living in an urban area with ridiculous housing prices has jaded me or something.

No, a lot of places close to universities offer 6 and 9 month leases. I will be moving away from my husband while I'm in school and plan to come home every summer.

spacecowgirl said:
Rent a furnished apartment.

I've called around and I'm having a hard time finding them. :(

Try renting a storage unit. You lose the money but save the hassle of carting it back and forth. Maybe other students would chip in and store some of their stuff too.

hmm...good idea; i'll look into that, thanks!